My first Safari

Papadoc

AH member
Reaction score
One of the mods asked that I tell the story of my first safari, so here goes.
My best friend and hunting partner and I one day in 1997, decided that we should go on an African Safari, come hell or high water, even if we had to borrow money to do it. And we did have to borrow money to do it! But it was money well spent. We started our planning just a little over a year out, and looking back we should have started sooner. We picked our safari outfitter, contacted them, sent them some money and started reading up on every thing we could find about going on Safari. We had our guns bought, sighted in and ready to go, when I decided I should have a double rifle, and I got myself one!
Next, our trip started in Dallas and terminated in Lusaka, Zambia. The first really stunning memory I have is on the trip from M'fue to our camp along the South Luangua. As we stopped for a bathroom break, we were amazed at all the wildlife we could see. As we were getting back in the hunting car, our ph asked if we saw any elephants. Of course I had thought all elephants were just about eradicated from the planet, so I just kind of chuckled. He said "no, really, look!" Sure enough, there was a herd of about 25 elephants within 50 yards, and I never saw them until he pointed it out.

Buffalo were on the list, so that's where we started early the next morning. Jim won the toss, so he and Ron, the PH, took off after a likely looking herd. Soon enough, we heard gunshots, then a "YAHOO!!", Jim had connected on the first day. The next day we were tracking a bull we had spotted early that morning, in some pretty rough country with little to no visibility. Our tracker held up his hand to say "quiet, listen." The next thing I remember hearing is the scream of a bull elephant at about 50 yards, closing the distance to us fast. When he came into view, he was about 15 yards, tail up and aiming straight for us. The PH shot between his front legs into the ground, the game scout emptied his AK magazine into the air, and I was off safety, with a little pressure on the trigger of the .470. Fortunately for everyone, the bull stopped at about 10 yards, gave us a loud scream, and then turned in disgust and walked away. After we caught our breath, we continued tracking the buffalo and within 20 minutes of the charge, I had killed my first Cape Buffalo.

I got very lucky on my Kudu quest, and shot a 57 inch bull! Very large for that area I am told. We ate like kings, made some lifelong friends, and of course decided that we must get back as soon as possible! I am in the planning process now, and hopefully can get back on safari by 2022. Sadly, I will be taking Jim's ashes to be spread in the Luangua, he passed away in January, but he will always be with me on my hunting trips.

Nice to hear you’re spreading Jim’s ashes somewh he was obviously fond of.
Now I wonder what I’ll do with myself.

One of the mods asked that I tell the story of my first safari, so here goes.
My best friend and hunting partner and I one day in 1997, decided that we should go on an African Safari, come hell or high water, even if we had to borrow money to do it. And we did have to borrow money to do it! But it was money well spent. We started our planning just a little over a year out, and looking back we should have started sooner. We picked our safari outfitter, contacted them, sent them some money and started reading up on every thing we could find about going on Safari. We had our guns bought, sighted in and ready to go, when I decided I should have a double rifle, and I got myself one!
Next, our trip started in Dallas and terminated in Lusaka, Zambia. The first really stunning memory I have is on the trip from M'fue to our camp along the South Luangua. As we stopped for a bathroom break, we were amazed at all the wildlife we could see. As we were getting back in the hunting car, our ph asked if we saw any elephants. Of course I had thought all elephants were just about eradicated from the planet, so I just kind of chuckled. He said "no, really, look!" Sure enough, there was a herd of about 25 elephants within 50 yards, and I never saw them until he pointed it out.

Buffalo were on the list, so that's where we started early the next morning. Jim won the toss, so he and Ron, the PH, took off after a likely looking herd. Soon enough, we heard gunshots, then a "YAHOO!!", Jim had connected on the first day. The next day we were tracking a bull we had spotted early that morning, in some pretty rough country with little to no visibility. Our tracker held up his hand to say "quiet, listen." The next thing I remember hearing is the scream of a bull elephant at about 50 yards, closing the distance to us fast. When he came into view, he was about 15 yards, tail up and aiming straight for us. The PH shot between his front legs into the ground, the game scout emptied his AK magazine into the air, and I was off safety, with a little pressure on the trigger of the .470. Fortunately for everyone, the bull stopped at about 10 yards, gave us a loud scream, and then turned in disgust and walked away. After we caught our breath, we continued tracking the buffalo and within 20 minutes of the charge, I had killed my first Cape Buffalo.

I got very lucky on my Kudu quest, and shot a 57 inch bull! Very large for that area I am told. We ate like kings, made some lifelong friends, and of course decided that we must get back as soon as possible! I am in the planning process now, and hopefully can get back on safari by 2022. Sadly, I will be taking Jim's ashes to be spread in the Luangua, he passed away in January, but he will always be with me on my hunting trips.
Thanks for sharing this.

Great story, thanks for posting. Nice of you to take your buddy back to Africa for his final trip.

That’s pretty awesome papadoc. I am sure Jim will find true peace in a are he loved!

My best always
Jaco Strauss
Kwalata Safaris
Mozambique/South Africa
www.kwalatasafaris.co.za

Thanks for sharing!

Neat. My first safari was also in 1997!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross