My first double rifle - I love it

Old thread...Fantastic looking rifle, wood and engraving. How is it doing for you now, 5 years on? Is it a sidelock, or a boxlock with side plates? Anything you'd do differently now?

It's a boxlock with side plates. Would I do anything differently now? I think not, I'm pretty happy with it. It works well and there's nothing about it that bothers me. The ability to user regulate 9.3 barrels came in handy when I scoped it and needed a faster load for the rifle to regulate with both scope and irons.

Actually, if I was doing it again I would probably get the factory to fit the scope and scope mount on the 9.3 rather than do it later. Save the extra trip to the gunsmith. Initially, I wasn't gonna scope it but eventually decided it would be nice to be able to hunt at night with it and the scope is a legal (and practical) requirement.

Thanks for reviving this thread, that is one gorgeous double @Opposite Pole! What have you hunted with it so far?

So far Boar and Red and Roe deer. Haven't been to Africa yet but naturally, this is a matter of time. The plan is Buffalo and Elephant. And if/when I relocate back to OZ, then it'll also be scrub bulls and Water Buffalo. I loved chasing them up in the NT and will surely do it again.

Beautiful Kreighoff. What loads do you run through yours? I understand that the Kreighoff warranty unfortunately doesn’t cover the use of monolithic bullets in their wares?

I was also told as for Solids, Krieghoff's Barrels are a bit "Soft"?
I believe I previously commented on this build however!

I was also told as for Solids, Krieghoff's Barrels are a bit "Soft"?
I believe I previously commented on this build however!
I've heard that Krieghoff, Wesley Richards and Holland & Holland do not recommend the use of steel jacketed solids in their barrels. However I don't think this applies to the new monolithic solids used today like the Barnes Banded Solids, Woodleigh Hydro and CEB Safari Solids. There is a huge performance difference between the Kynoch ammo of years past and current ammo production. Conformation from the manufacturer would be the best because "internet information" is only so good.

@Daniel Cary @BeeMaa
I asked Krieghoff about the use of mono projectiles:

My question:
I have a Krieghoff double rifle with two barrel sets 470NE and 9.3x74R . Can monolithic, non-lead ammunition such as Barnes TSX or Woodleigh Hydro Solid be safely used in the rifle?

Krieghoff's answer:
You can safely use non-lead ammunition such as Barnes TSX or Woodleigh Hydro Solid with your rifle.

Thank you .. Another or different distributer mentioned the barrels being soft for solids

.. I'm sure I couldn't even afford to shoot that many rounds, where integrity would be compromised.
do luv the K.

@Daniel Cary @BeeMaa
I asked Krieghoff about the use of mono projectiles:

My question:
I have a Krieghoff double rifle with two barrel sets 470NE and 9.3x74R . Can monolithic, non-lead ammunition such as Barnes TSX or Woodleigh Hydro Solid be safely used in the rifle?

Krieghoff's answer:
You can safely use non-lead ammunition such as Barnes TSX or Woodleigh Hydro Solid with your rifle.
Excellent. Thank you for the information. All I need now is a Krieghoff rifle to shoot these bullets out of. :unsure:

As they were so kind to you...I should see if they are willing to sponsor me with a Hubertus in 7x65R with an additional barrel in 9x74R. Or go for it all and ask for a Big Five in 500/416NE.

Excellent. Thank you for the information. All I need now is a Krieghoff rifle to shoot these bullets out of. :unsure:

As they were so kind to you...I should see if they are willing to sponsor me with a Hubertus in 7x65R with an additional barrel in 9x74R. Or go for it all and ask for a Big Five in 500/416NE.

Hubertus is one fine looking rifle.

Good thread. Nice cases, etc .. Krieghoff does market some a lot of swag.
1669211043109.png

Have not seen this thread before, very nice looking double indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!