AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
210.JPG
Here's mine Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger/ Leupold 1.5 x 5

svinejakt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
OJJF
Hunted
Norway, South Africa
Thank you Witold :) Having a hard time deciding on the optics, so I have been practising with open sights. Shoots very well actually, but thinking about a Swarozski 1-6 or 1-8. Then I can use it for Moose hunts in Norway and DG and PG in Africa :)

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I've got the 1-8 on my 375 and the 1-6 EE on my 404. The 1-8 has a finer reticle that I think suits the 375's role as a versatile rifle. The 1-6's reticle is more coarse and I think it is better for a dedicated dangerous game rifle, although it did not handicap me at all in making shots out to about 140 yards. The EE version with about 1 inch more eye relief than standard is not currently being made but is still available new old stock and to me it is worth looking for if going on a heavy caliber gun.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Bert the Turtle, that looks to be a nice buff that you took with your 404. Have you posted a hunt report and photos yet? What bullet did you use?

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Bert the Turtle, that looks to be a nice buff that you took with your 404. Have you posted a hunt report and photos yet? What bullet did you use?

400g TSX for the first shot, solids thereafter. Brief version: It was hit very hard with the first shot, went maybe 40 yards and stopped. Hit with the second shot and was down in about 20 yards. A third shot in the top of the spine to seal the deal.

He was a good buffalo, 38-39". As it was getting close to the end of the season I was able to get a decent deal on a second buffalo and got one I like even more.

IMG_3704.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

CDorroh

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada
I've got the 1-8 on my 375 and the 1-6 EE on my 404. The 1-8 has a finer reticle that I think suits the 375's role as a versatile rifle. The 1-6's reticle is more coarse and I think it is better for a dedicated dangerous game rifle, although it did not handicap me at all in making shots out to about 140 yards. The EE version with about 1 inch more eye relief than standard is not currently being made but is still available new old stock and to me it is worth looking for if going on a heavy caliber gun.

I can vouch for the 1-6 EE as well. Excellent scope for a heavy recoiling rifle, and I'm still able to print 1 moa groups with it off sticks at 200 yds if I do my part.

Adam S

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA (OH, WV, CO)
I have no immediate plans to hunt buffalo; alas, it will likely be far in the future. That doesn't keep me from thinking I need a buffalo rifle, however. You guys aren't helping! :p

svinejakt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
OJJF
Hunted
Norway, South Africa
Seems like all I have to do is decide how versatile the rifle will be ;) I have to admit that I have looked mostly at the 1-6. I will only use it for moose her in Norway and teh 1-6 should do very well for that. I will probably be hunting most PG with a lighter rifle and I`m not a long range shooter. Like getting close :)

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
View attachment 204924
This is my CZ made .404 that I used to take the buffalo in my avatar. I had them add some options like a pop up peep sight. Very accurate rifle. I've since purchased a .470 double K gun to use on my next hunt.

That is one fancy looking CZ! Are the leaf sights custom made?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosBer

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?