My Buffalo Rifle

IMG_4924.JPG
404 Jeffery

Last edited by a moderator:
210.JPG
Here's mine Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger/ Leupold 1.5 x 5

Thank you Witold :) Having a hard time deciding on the optics, so I have been practising with open sights. Shoots very well actually, but thinking about a Swarozski 1-6 or 1-8. Then I can use it for Moose hunts in Norway and DG and PG in Africa :)

I've got the 1-8 on my 375 and the 1-6 EE on my 404. The 1-8 has a finer reticle that I think suits the 375's role as a versatile rifle. The 1-6's reticle is more coarse and I think it is better for a dedicated dangerous game rifle, although it did not handicap me at all in making shots out to about 140 yards. The EE version with about 1 inch more eye relief than standard is not currently being made but is still available new old stock and to me it is worth looking for if going on a heavy caliber gun.

Bert the Turtle, that looks to be a nice buff that you took with your 404. Have you posted a hunt report and photos yet? What bullet did you use?

Bert the Turtle, that looks to be a nice buff that you took with your 404. Have you posted a hunt report and photos yet? What bullet did you use?

400g TSX for the first shot, solids thereafter. Brief version: It was hit very hard with the first shot, went maybe 40 yards and stopped. Hit with the second shot and was down in about 20 yards. A third shot in the top of the spine to seal the deal.

He was a good buffalo, 38-39". As it was getting close to the end of the season I was able to get a decent deal on a second buffalo and got one I like even more.

IMG_3704.JPG

I've got the 1-8 on my 375 and the 1-6 EE on my 404. The 1-8 has a finer reticle that I think suits the 375's role as a versatile rifle. The 1-6's reticle is more coarse and I think it is better for a dedicated dangerous game rifle, although it did not handicap me at all in making shots out to about 140 yards. The EE version with about 1 inch more eye relief than standard is not currently being made but is still available new old stock and to me it is worth looking for if going on a heavy caliber gun.

I can vouch for the 1-6 EE as well. Excellent scope for a heavy recoiling rifle, and I'm still able to print 1 moa groups with it off sticks at 200 yds if I do my part.

I have no immediate plans to hunt buffalo; alas, it will likely be far in the future. That doesn't keep me from thinking I need a buffalo rifle, however. You guys aren't helping! :p

Seems like all I have to do is decide how versatile the rifle will be ;) I have to admit that I have looked mostly at the 1-6. I will only use it for moose her in Norway and teh 1-6 should do very well for that. I will probably be hunting most PG with a lighter rifle and I`m not a long range shooter. Like getting close :)

View attachment 204924
This is my CZ made .404 that I used to take the buffalo in my avatar. I had them add some options like a pop up peep sight. Very accurate rifle. I've since purchased a .470 double K gun to use on my next hunt.

That is one fancy looking CZ! Are the leaf sights custom made?

Image1626660781.899722.jpg
Image1626660815.477294.jpg

My .458 Lott on the left in the top photo. A custom M-70.

My wife’s Highland Stalker in 9.3x62 in the bottom photo.

The Lott has taken a number of buffalo. My wife has taken one buffalo with the 9.3 and hopes to use it on a leopard next year.

Let me introduce you to my buffalo rifle that I'll hopefully be using on Water Buffalo in the Northern Territory of Australia this time next year.
If/ when finances allow my dream is to one day use this rifle on Cape Buffalo.

It is the absolute plainest, cheapest and ugliest rifle on this thread!

It's a Zastava M70 chambered in .458 Win Mag with a Hogue aluminium bedded stock.
On top is a Leupold 1.5-4 in Warne rings/ mounts.

The Load that will be used is the 550gn Woodleigh at 2080fps.
I have absolute confidence this combo will be effective on any buffalo.

MW7rpBa.jpg
cyowHD7.jpg

Seeing that my Merkel 470 found a new home today, (with one of our members), I suppose this will be my dedicated buffalo rifle. It's a Winchester Model 70, 416 Rem Mag, with Mcmillan stock and Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 scope. Let me see your buffalo rifles!

View attachment 204091

I absolutely love Winchester M70's, the .416RM cartridge and Mcmillan stocks... So your rifle is an actual representation of one of my dream rifles... :love:

Baboymelvin.......I like your no frills buffalo rifle. It should do nicely. You are getting a lot of power too, with a 550 grainer at 2080....nearly 5300 pounds. Hope you post a couple of pics next year of some NT buffalo..................FWB

Baboymelvin.......I like your no frills buffalo rifle. It should do nicely. You are getting a lot of power too, with a 550 grainer at 2080....nearly 5300 pounds. Hope you post a couple of pics next year of some NT buffalo..................FWB

Thank you FWB.
I like it too and as a bonus it only weighs 9lb so it's nice, light and handy for a .458.
And you're right it does pack a punch - but unfortunately at the expense of heavy recoil, a fraction over 80ft/lbs.
I sometimes think I might've been better off loading the 450gn Woodleigh Hydro at around 2200fps...
heaps of penetration but a lot less recoil...

Russ

Buff 2.jpg
B uff 4.jpg
Buff 1.jpg
Buff 3.jpg

Ever since 1974 , I've hunted African Cape Buffalo with ( depending on what my White Hunter had in camp , to offer ) :
* A BSA Majestic ( .458 Winchester Magnum )
* Remington M700 ( .458 Winchester Magnum )
* BRNO ZKK602 ( .375 Holland & Holland Magnum )
* Sako M85 ( .375 Holland & Holland Magnum )

I initially was under the impression that Cape Buffalo need the biggest rifle that one can get their hands on ( which was a .458 Winchester Magnum , when I first started hunting in Africa ) . After my first two safaris , I quickly decided that the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum was what really worked for me . The best .375 which I've ever used on Cape Buffalo , would have to be the BRNO ZKK602 . Loaded with Federal 300 Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft points .

I'd really like to take my next Cape Buffalo with a .505 Gibbs , if possible . Just for kicks ( no pun intended ) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg