My .404J Load Development

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
I've been doing initial load development for my 404 Jeffery. Rifle is a Granite Mountain Mauser 98 with 23" PacNor barrel and Leupold VX6HD 1-6X scope.

I tested the following powders:

IMR4350
VV N-150
H4831
Superformance
Hybrid 100V
Norma N204

Frankly, they all provided adequate performance for DG in my rifle, but I explored N-150 more than the others. I have 4 lbs. of N-150, so I wanted to use it if suitable.

Here are a couple of results...

Powder - 76 Grains N-150
Bullet - 400 Grain Swift A Frame (crimped)
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2302 fps
(This load grouped very well and met my velocity goals. Recoil is moderate in my rifle)

Powder - 78 Grains N-150
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2340 fps

Powder - 80 Grains N-150
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2411 fps

Powder - 83.5 Grains IMR4350
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2401 fps
This load performed well, but I have only 1 lb. of this powder.

Powder - 90 Grains Superformance
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2364 fps

I will test the first load further and try to develop a load for Barnes 400 grain banded solids that will shoot to the same point of impact. I must add that shooting some of these strings off the bench did get my attention.

Last edited:
I've been doing initial load development for my 404 Jeffery. Rifle is a Granite Mountain Mauser 98 with 23" PacNor barrel and Leupold VX6HD 1-6X scope.

I tested the following powders:

IMR4350
VV N-150
H4831
Superformance
Hybrid 100V
Norma N204

Frankly, they all provided adequate performance for DG in my rifle, but I explored N-150 more than the others. I have 4 lbs. of N-150, so I wanted to use it if suitable.

Here are a couple of results...

Powder - 76 Grains N-150
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2302 fps
(This load grouped very well and met my velocity goals. Recoil is moderate in my rifle)

Powder - 78 Grains N-150
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2340 fps

Powder - 80 Grains N-150
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2411 fps

Powder - 83.5 Grains IMR4350
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2401 fps
This load performed well, but I have only 1 lb. of this powder.

Powder - 90 Grains Superformance
Case - Norma
Primer - WLRM
Ave of three shots - 2364 fps

I will test the first load further and try to develop a load for Barnes 400 grain banded solids that will shoot to the same point of impact. I must add that shooting some of these strings off the bench did get my attention.
In my somewhat limited experience, the 404 can handle quite a few types of powder for the ordinary 400gr weight of bullet. Where I live, Norma is the local stuff, so that is what I use, so far I've tested N202, N203-B (very similar to RL-15), N204, MRP (very similar to RL-22) and MRP-2. The latter is too , slow-burning and leaves unburnt powder in the barrel. And I think it is no longer produced, but it was previously the only powder in Norma's own load data for the 404. Go figure.

Anyway, I think that you're doing the right thing with leaning towards the 2300 fps load. Not really any need to go much faster than that, in my opinion - it just puts more stress on your brass/ears/rifle/shoulder.

My own current load is 400gr AF, with 87gr Norma MRP - which gives about 2275 in my rifle, IIRC. Only tested on very non-dangerous game so far, with success.

Sounds good Mike. I now have a press for the crimp die so get that installed this weekend.

Scrummy

In my somewhat limited experience, the 404 can handle quite a few types of powder for the ordinary 400gr weight of bullet. Where I live, Norma is the local stuff, so that is what I use, so far I've tested N202, N203-B (very similar to RL-15), N204, MRP (very similar to RL-22) and MRP-2. The latter is too , slow-burning and leaves unburnt powder in the barrel. And I think it is no longer produced, but it was previously the only powder in Norma's own load data for the 404. Go figure.

Anyway, I think that you're doing the right thing with leaning towards the 2300 fps load. Not really any need to go much faster than that, in my opinion - it just puts more stress on your brass/ears/rifle/shoulder.

My own current load is 400gr AF, with 87gr Norma MRP - which gives about 2275 in my rifle, IIRC. Only tested on very non-dangerous game so far, with success.
I think you are right - the MRP-2 and similar slow burning 'magnum' powders are not suited to the .404 Jeffery. I have focused mainly on powders with burn rates between RL-15/ N203B and H4831. VV N-150 falls right in that burn rate area and seems to provide good results with smaller amounts of powder and decent velocity. After working and shooting, I revised by target velocity from 2350 fps down to 2300 fps and may go a bit lower depending on the results I get with the Barnes Banded solids.

In my rifle, at least, most of the loads that I tried produced somewhat more velocity than the manuals stated. I don't know why that should be, but the chamber seems very snug - no problems, but very little expansion of the brass upon firing. I need to shoot a few hundred more rounds through it before heading to TZ.

Reactions: cmk
Those loads look good. I would find the most accurate load in the 2300-2350fps range ane see if you can get your barnes solids to hit the same POI. Load up a couple boxes for your safari and go have a great time.

In my 404 I have been using 84gr or H4350, and going to try AA4350 as I have a more of the AA.

Thanks for sharing Mike, as discussed I’ve got powder on the way to play with both reduced/ cast lead and full power jacketed loads.

CAUTION

The load with 80 grains of N-150 and 400 grain Swift A Frame showed signs of pressure. I do not recommend it. I backed off to 76 grains, which still had good velocity, accuracy and noticeably less recoil.

I have begun testing Barnes 400 grain Banded Solids and posted some of them in another thread on this forum.

Thanks for sharing Mike, as discussed I’ve got powder on the way to play with both reduced/ cast lead and full power jacketed loads.
did you find some jacketed 404J bullets?

john

Received the Barnes bullets. Many thanks again.

Mike,
Thanks for posting this info, going to give the N150 a go tomorrow.

Mike,
Thanks for posting this info, going to give the N150 a go tomorrow.
Happy to help, John. I am adding data daily - a ittle at a time as I load and shoot.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the weight of your rifle, both with and without scope?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the weight of your rifle, both with and without scope?
Without scope, sling or ammo, it weighs 8 lb., 15 oz. I have two scopes with QD rings. With the Leupold VX6 1-6X and rings it weighs 10 lb.. 1 oz. With the VX3 1.5 - 5X and rings it weighs a couple oz. less. Just heavy enough to help with recoil. I am learning to shoot a 40+ bore rifle.

@Nevada Mike , this is very helpful as a resource and thank you for doing it

I have some N150 I can try in 404 Jeff (Will try with Peregrine Bullets and the MME bullets I have mentioned) and also have some Hornday 400gr DGS.

I'll also see if I can get some N140 to try. It's a touch quicker than N150 and very similar to Varget which I understand is well thought of for these larger cases.

I will try and post my results. Really must pick up a chrono.

Scrummy

Still no 450gr of any kind
The only regular source of 450gr bullets I know of is Woodleigh and although I understand they are working to get back into production, I doubt bullets for 404 will be at the top of the list.

(Probably 30 cal, 375, 416 and 458 would be my guess).

The only regular source of 450gr bullets I know of is Woodleigh and although I understand they are working to get back into production, I doubt bullets for 404 will be at the top of the list.

(Probably 30 cal, 375, 416 and 458 would be my guess).
Correct….

I made some solid connections while back packing around Australia is 2019; got several people looking around that big island for .404 bullets.

You never know about availability- I’ve been told that .30cal are available now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!