Muzzle Brake Use

I'm proposing a new way to hunt. Just stalk the animal to within shooting range, raise your gun, put the sights/crosshairs on the vital zone and yell BANG! Venues will have pre-stuffed animals with interchangeable heads in various positions for photos. That way no one's hearing will be marginalized and the no animals will be harmed. :A Bonk:

AH.com post of the year. Too bad it was not before Jan 1 because it could have won the decade. Now you will need to wait 10 years to see if anyone can top it.

Consider getting a suppressor instead for any caliber up to 338. You get better recoil reduction and the obvious benefit of noise reduction.

Calibers over that, I'd say there are other ways to reduce recoil. I'm a big fan of the Evo-Shield recoil pad. Their system seems to reduce felt recoil by more than 50% (that's just my non-scientific assessment based off personal experience).

Evo-Shield:
20191224_222103-01-jpeg.322054

Actually, one problem which I finally saw years later with further acquisitions of hunting rifles -- the Browning A-bolt hunter was my first, while stationed in Colorado and going after mule deer and elk -- was the Browning had a pathetic excuse for a recoil pad. It's a very thin piece of hard rubber, which doesn't give at all. So, of course it hurts. But again, it still hurt when I used a gel pad pinned to my shoulder at the range. That gel pad just didn't do much at all to alleviate the pain from that sharp jab into my shoulder.

My second acquisition was a swap of a pistol I didn't have use for anymore for a Remington 760 gamemaster pump rifle in .30-06. It had good rifling, but overall the bluing was highly worn and stock scratched up. I had it reblued in a matt finish, then had Boyds build me a Monte Carlo style stock in camouflage laminate (green, brown, gray), to which was attached a good decelerator recoil pad. While giving a good push, that rifle isn't painful to shoot. I don't think they had the decelerators back when I got the Browning. That said, I think a really good recoil pad might be the answer for it without a muzzle break.

My favorite in the Model 99 Savage in .250-3000 (aka, .250 Savage). For the small white tails we have in Alabama and Virginia, it's the perfect little hunting gun for me. I got it in a trade with my hunter safety instructor buddy, who had two. I went with this because I was tired of blowing up deer with the .30-06. That caliber might be good in big animals, but it seemed regardless of ammo type, it torn the snot out of the little white tails, blowing up a lot of good meat.

They say bring your favorite deer rifle to Africa. This would fit that bill, except for the fact that its a lever gun, which I understand, along with semi-autos and pumps are not allowed in RSA. For that reason I obtained a barreled action in .30-06 which I'm having a stock made for. That, and I have a Belgian FN Commercial Mauser action which I intend to build into a .280 Remington. Either that or the .280 AI. Not sure which yet. from what I've read, those are good choices for African plains game. For the bigger game, just to be sure, I have my 'elk gun,' which is another custom job in .35 Whelen. That's about my upper end for recoil. The nice part is the Whelen gives one more umph with heavier bullets, but without magnum kicks.

I'm proposing a new way to hunt. Just stalk the animal to within shooting range, raise your gun, put the sights/crosshairs on the vital zone and yell BANG! Venues will have pre-stuffed animals with interchangeable heads in various positions for photos. That way no one's hearing will be marginalized and the no animals will be harmed. :A Bonk:
@ILCAPO this summary below by Cal Zant from his precision rifle blog is a great resource for info on muzzle brakes. It is absolutely worth the 15-20 min of reading. You’ll probably end up reading his entire volume of writing. He writes from an engineer perspective and has multiple tests and results. Bottom line: a muzzle brake reduces recoil proportionally to the increase in muzzle blast direction (toward the shooter).

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

Thanks. I will do so when I get the chance. I find it interesting he came up with completely different results from my friends. The one buddy was one of our top shooters from the National Guard in the annual Camp Perry competitions. Again, their practical, albeit limited test, with a set of like rifles, came up with no difference on their decibel meter. The only difference came when you moved the device to different positions around the gun. The shots were louder when it was placed ahead of the gun, and only somewhat less when behind the shooter. But again, to me this is kind of meaningless, because muzzle break or no, the report of any rifle, and particularly the magnums, are going to be horrendous. All are more than ample to damage one's hearing. Thus, even in a hunt, no one should be without hearing protection. I most recently acquired a new kind of headset for ear protection. I wasn't sure how well it would work but I was surprised when I used it -- a couple times now on the range. Rather than the earmuff/earphone style headset, which are too clumsy for the field, this is a band ending with a foam ear plug on each end, which plug into your ear rather than surrounding it. They are surprisingly effective. And the great part is you can take them off and simply have them around your neck until it's time to shoot.

All this said, is there ANY REASON why a PH would not be wearing hearing protection. It seems to me, having such on hand would make this muzzle break problem a non-issue. Again, without having been in Africa, I'm asking questions here to see if there is something I hadn't thought of, which makes it an issue.

@IL CAPO, For plains game, the PHs are usually on the binos watching for the hit. Situations are dynamic but where they're standing is sometimes not the best place to be for being exposed to the muzzle blast, braked or unbraked.

Thanks. I will do so when I get the chance. I find it interesting he came up with completely different results from my friends. The one buddy was one of our top shooters from the National Guard in the annual Camp Perry competitions. Again, their practical, albeit limited test, with a set of like rifles, came up with no difference on their decibel meter. The only difference came when you moved the device to different positions around the gun. The shots were louder when it was placed ahead of the gun, and only somewhat less when behind the shooter. But again, to me this is kind of meaningless, because muzzle break or no, the report of any rifle, and particularly the magnums, are going to be horrendous. All are more than ample to damage one's hearing. Thus, even in a hunt, no one should be without hearing protection. I most recently acquired a new kind of headset for ear protection. I wasn't sure how well it would work but I was surprised when I used it -- a couple times now on the range. Rather than the earmuff/earphone style headset, which are too clumsy for the field, this is a band ending with a foam ear plug on each end, which plug into your ear rather than surrounding it. They are surprisingly effective. And the great part is you can take them off and simply have them around your neck until it's time to shoot.

All this said, is there ANY REASON why a PH would not be wearing hearing protection. It seems to me, having such on hand would make this muzzle break problem a non-issue. Again, without having been in Africa, I'm asking questions here to see if there is something I hadn't thought of, which makes it an issue.

Okay, I just looked over the article. Didn't read it word for word, but got the gist, particularly from the table listing results. Looking at the description of calibers and brakes tested, I noted two things, which MAY account for the differences in results my friends had with this far more comprehensive testing. Not sure how that would account for it, but thought I'd note the differences.

First, my friends used a much larger caliber -- a wildcat cartridge with a bore of .458 inches. Second, the one friend who had a muzzle break on his rifle had it built into the rifle. As I understand it, the gunsmith bored a series of holes into the end of the barrel. That is, as I understand it, it was not a commercial brake but rather a custom made one incorporated right into the barrel. It does not direct muzzle blast to the rear, toward the shooter. It simply comes out at at a perpendicular angle to the muzzle.

Regarding my muzzle brake, it's one that was developed long ago, and was not listed among this guy's test batch. KDF is still around.... found their website. But the images on that page were of their slim line models. I like those better. Mine is more of a flange, which is about double the diameter of my gun's barrel, making it quite noticable.

Mine have holes which guide the blast sideways as well. The pronghorn hunt I went on after having it installed was with a friend. We got permission from a farm to hunt their land and went on a drive. After spotting a good candidate, we pulled over to the side of the dirt road, and my buddy told me to simply stabilize my aim by leaning over his jeep's hood. Being off a public road, and in the middle of an open field on private land, this was not prohibited, so I did so. Neither of us thought about it, but when I fired, there was a little scorch mark left on his hood from the holes at the bottom of the muzzle brake. Mine has holes all around it, so gases come out upwards, to both sides, and downwards. I see from some of the photos and designs of those this guy tested some push the gases back towards the shooter. In that case, I see why it would be louder.

But again, all said, I think this is a moot point because I use hearing protection.

I had my 308 Norma Mag at the range and got to talking with a range officer and a couple other shooters. I have the thread protector on as I have not found a need for the brake. But, the guys I was speaking with all suggested I put the brake on it! I was surprised. But, the outcome of the chat for me is:

Dangerous game cartridges - never, no brake ever. Get used to the rifle, but shoot more with a smaller caliber.

Training with non-damgerous game cartridges: the brake eases the pressure on the stock. It allows you to see the bullet hits. It makes it easier to develop and keep good form. The loudest rifles at the range are the short barreled semi-autos and they are sharp, so don't fret about my rifle being louder. Safer for your retinas.

Hunting alone: the brake makes it easier to see where you bullet hits, or where it misses. Where ear protection.

Hunting with a PH - no brake as a courtesy. And, they will spot your shot for you anyways.

Your .308 mag with brake is louder than any "short barreled semi auto" that does not have a brake itself. No comparison, much louder. The only short barreled rifle I have seen (heard!) that approaches the noise of a braked rifle is the short Mosin Nagant carbines in 7.62x54r. Those little suckers are LOUD! :eek:

BUT and this is a big BUT!:whistle: They don't direct their blast back and to the sides of the rifle, it goes forward as normal, whereas the rifle with a brake does direct its gases and blasto, aft and sideways, right into the face of the guy sitting next to him at the range. Wonderful for the shooter, sucks for his neighbor. I have had clowns cut loose next to me at the range with braked rifles so loud I literally thought they had done a Napoleon blownapart!:eek:

One can rationalize it all day long, but facts are facts. A braked rifle makes more noise and makes and redirects more blast than a non braked rifle. Were it up to me I would not allow brakes on the range. Have to have a brake on the rifle, great, shoot it somewhere else.o_O

I did a search and didn’t see anything pop up so if this has been discussed previously, let me know.

In regards to rifles for Africa, what is the acceptance of muzzle breaks for use when hunting?

I know this can be a preference item and guides here in the states have varying opinions as well.
The problem comes in when in an intense or dangerous situation occurs there is no time to ensure everyone’s ears are protected. The muzzle brake can do real permanent damage. They have their place and I have used them in the past. I recommend using them as a person gets used to their first DG rifle. As you get used to your gun, if you are like me, you will eventually not need the muzzle brake. They are also fine for any kind of target shooting and are recommended by many shooting instructors as they help most people shoot better.
I’ve hunted with them in the past and used Sport Ears so I always had hearing pro. I was always careful to remind my PH to cover his ears.
Philip

Your .308 mag with brake is louder than any "short barreled semi auto" that does not have a brake itself. No comparison, much louder. The only short barreled rifle I have seen (heard!) that approaches the noise of a braked rifle is the short Mosin Nagant carbines in 7.62x54r. Those little suckers are LOUD! :eek:

BUT and this is a big BUT!:whistle: They don't direct their blast back and to the sides of the rifle, it goes forward as normal, whereas the rifle with a brake does direct its gases and blasto, aft and sideways, right into the face of the guy sitting next to him at the range. Wonderful for the shooter, sucks for his neighbor. I have had clowns cut loose next to me at the range with braked rifles so loud I literally thought they had done a Napoleon blownapart!:eek:

One can rationalize it all day long, but facts are facts. A braked rifle makes more noise and makes and redirects more blast than a non braked rifle. Were it up to me I would not allow brakes on the range. Have to have a brake on the rifle, great, shoot it somewhere else.o_O

I have no experience with mine. I was surprised when they encouraged me to use it. According to one fella, the style with many holes drilled all around the circumference are not as bad as the side vented types.:unsure: Mine has holes all around, but I am sure it's still loud. I may try it out just to see what is what. Although , I will make sure I mention its use to those beside me :)

Am I mistaken, or do suppressors reduce recoil. If they do that would better than a brake. Of course that’s only where they are legal. They aren’t legal where I live.

So what if you are making scrambled eggs while hunting Captive Bred Lions? Brake or No Brake?

No brake until the eggs are done ( don't want to blow dust and sand in the eggs ) after eating, brake :D

Am I mistaken, or do suppressors reduce recoil. If they do that would better than a brake. Of course that’s only where they are legal. They aren’t legal where I live.
Absolutely they do, they'll take a .308 Win recoil down to that of a .223

I almost exclusively hunt suppressed, for the obvious reason of hearing protection, but also for the reduced recoil, animals not being able to tell where the shots are coming from as easy, and you can hear if the shot was a hit or miss so much easier with a suppressor. Here in TX we hunt hogs with AR's and thermal scopes a lot, and for that, where multiple people are running thru 30rd mags sometimes, suppressors make it so much easier to stay on target and communicate with each other during the madness.

I am pleased to see mor suppressors on the range(y) now that WA has legalized their use. There was one on the range today a few benches from the moron:mad: with a Sherman Tank brake :mad:on his magnum. What an idiot.:rolleyes:

Ses,
When the removable muzzle brake was first installed on my daughter's Weatherby Mark V 7mm Wby mag, I took it to a range during off hours to try it. The brake was very effective and made the rifle pleasant to shoot.

The side blast blew papers and dust off shooting benches on both sides of me. That was two benches away on each side. So, if occupied, there would have been 4 shooters mad at me. I instructed my daughter to remove the brake when hunting with anyone or anything nearby.

Once in a tree stand, she shot a buck deer and neglected to remove the brake and the side blast blew leaves from the tree , making an open tunnel towards the deer. The bullet also made a tunnel in the deer which was 30-30 close. She was deaf for nearly an hour after that shot.

I'll admit 2 of my rifles have brakes. My 300 came with one on it and I left it. I always wear plugs anyway now. Won't shoot even hunting without them. Can't afford any more hearing loss.
My 7mag has a vais brake on it with forward holes around the muzzle in addition to the regular ones. Supposed to help noise. Idk but I know for sure it's quieter with the brake than my 270 wsm without one.
Other than that in trying to stay away from brakes now.

Many threads on this. General consensus is if you must you must, just be sure and let all around you know to plug their ears. Most guys hate the damn things, as do I.
They seem to be the latest and greatest gizmo on the firing line these days for the would be mighty Nimrod that doesn't know any better. The rifle range is the worst place to be when some clown is shooting a braked rifle, just awful.

Again, I don't get this. One should be plugging their ears regardless, muzzle break or no muzzle break. If you're not using hearing protection... you know that ringing in your ears you hear after the shot? That's part of your hearing that just went bye bye. Every shot you fire damages your hearing if you aren't wearing some kind of hearing protection. Plugs, even if just the foam type, is better than nothing.

Just today, some moron walked onto the live fire range while several guys are shooting big rifles, with no ear protection in his ears!:( I looked over after firing a .338 mag, and see this nitwit hastily putting plugs in his ears, then muffs on top, which is what I do, but I do it BEFORE going onto the line. Some guys are just too stupid:eek: to be allowed out of the house!

As a professional hunter I completely understand why people use muzzle brakes and they do help when you are trying to get used to a new rifle like Philip said earlier... However it is much harder for me to hunt with a client when they do have a muzzle brake on their rifles as a lot of times we stand next to clients while they are on the shooting sticks and do not get to cover our ears in time or on the second shot if needed. This truly blows out one's ears.

Yes I know we should wear ear protection, I tried a couple of electronic ear muffs but I hat the amplified sound when walking and stalking and then again 90% of the time the shots go off before I even have them ready! haha

My Botswana PH, who hunts DG-ele, first comment about the muzzle brake on my .416 Ruger was "that's good for you, but not so much for everyone else". When he found out the brake was removable and he could replace it with a "counterweight" he said " where can I buy one?". He was excited about being able to use a suppressor when I hunt ele and other DG..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois