Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
I was flipping channels last night, wallowing out an illness, and came across Mud, Sweat, and Beards on USA. Anyone catch it? Apparently there's four total episodes. Last night was the first. It will be my last. What first caught my eye was it was set in interior Alaska. As an Alaska, I paused on it to see what they offered.

At the risk of appearing overly critical, three things lost me. The first was when they went in search of game to eat, and the one guy said they need anything, be it marmot, ground squirrel, raccoon, porcupine... Raccoon??? Seriously? The second was when they found and killed a porcupine... and then tied its carcass to an 8' pole and carried it to camp in tandem. It looked freaking ridiculous. And the last thing was when the one fellow claimed he's a hunter but denigrated guys that stand 200 yards away and kill with a rifle.

Maybe I am just cranky today, coming off illness. Maybe I am Joe Pesche, because I'm not myself when I'm hungry. Feel free to hand me a Snickers and set me straight.

I do not dispute that at all John. But... there are none in Alaska was my point... you'd think that hardcore survivalists would kinda know that before deciding to live off the land for ten days here.

Too many reality shows are not even close to reality. Carrying a porcupine on a game pole, really? Who does that s#*t?
They should have had a game cart! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I do not dispute that at all John. But... there are none in Alaska was my point... you'd think that hardcore survivalists would kinda know that before deciding to live off the land for ten days here.
That would make it extremely difficult to bag a raccoon where no raccoon lives….

I am not a heavy viewer of reality/made for TV shows... Like I said, last night I was channel surfing while waiting for the nighttime meds to kick in.

AK shows always seem to be the rage; for my money the ONLY one that comes close to reality is The Last Alaskans. I've not seen anything on that one I would dispute as far as how it portrays rural life here.

On the subject of shows - while also channel surfing last night - I saw on I thought decent. It was called Nordic Wild Hunter.

I’ve pretty much given up on most hunting shows which are really 30 minute infomercials. I like watching “This is Africa” and “Africa sportsman’s show” on YouTube. A lot more entertaining

Farming the Wild and Wildfed are great! Meateater is best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gwendolyn7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.