Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
I was flipping channels last night, wallowing out an illness, and came across Mud, Sweat, and Beards on USA. Anyone catch it? Apparently there's four total episodes. Last night was the first. It will be my last. What first caught my eye was it was set in interior Alaska. As an Alaska, I paused on it to see what they offered.

At the risk of appearing overly critical, three things lost me. The first was when they went in search of game to eat, and the one guy said they need anything, be it marmot, ground squirrel, raccoon, porcupine... Raccoon??? Seriously? The second was when they found and killed a porcupine... and then tied its carcass to an 8' pole and carried it to camp in tandem. It looked freaking ridiculous. And the last thing was when the one fellow claimed he's a hunter but denigrated guys that stand 200 yards away and kill with a rifle.

Maybe I am just cranky today, coming off illness. Maybe I am Joe Pesche, because I'm not myself when I'm hungry. Feel free to hand me a Snickers and set me straight.

I do not dispute that at all John. But... there are none in Alaska was my point... you'd think that hardcore survivalists would kinda know that before deciding to live off the land for ten days here.

Too many reality shows are not even close to reality. Carrying a porcupine on a game pole, really? Who does that s#*t?
They should have had a game cart! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I do not dispute that at all John. But... there are none in Alaska was my point... you'd think that hardcore survivalists would kinda know that before deciding to live off the land for ten days here.
That would make it extremely difficult to bag a raccoon where no raccoon lives….

I am not a heavy viewer of reality/made for TV shows... Like I said, last night I was channel surfing while waiting for the nighttime meds to kick in.

AK shows always seem to be the rage; for my money the ONLY one that comes close to reality is The Last Alaskans. I've not seen anything on that one I would dispute as far as how it portrays rural life here.

On the subject of shows - while also channel surfing last night - I saw on I thought decent. It was called Nordic Wild Hunter.

I’ve pretty much given up on most hunting shows which are really 30 minute infomercials. I like watching “This is Africa” and “Africa sportsman’s show” on YouTube. A lot more entertaining

Farming the Wild and Wildfed are great! Meateater is best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!