Outfitter: @KWALATA SAFARIS
PH: Danie
Trackers: Godfried, Nhlapa
Locations Hunted: Niassa Reserve
Rifle: 416 Rigby
Load: Bullet: North Fork 400 gr SS
Powder: IMR 4350, 92.5 gr
Primer: CCI 250
Case: Norma (sourced from @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION)

This trip started in February in Nashville when I was having a conversation with Jaco Strauss regarding returning to Niassa primarily for plains game but would also like to hunt another Buffalo. He informed me that he could accommodate early October, and that would be a great time for plains game due to the limited water and the game congregating toward the river as well as some other limited water sources. The trip was planned for a full 13 days of hunting and as it turned out would be Kwalata’s last Mozambique hunt of the season.

Travel was via Delta to Johannesburg and then Airlink on to Pemba followed by a private charter to camp. It was on the Airlink flight, I met @Chukardogs and his lovely wife Katherien. If anyone has not had the opportunity to read his hunt report, be sure to check it out, a great and exceptionally well written account by a true gentleman. Arriving in Niassa we were greeted by PH Danie, who I would be hunting with; and PH AJ, hunting with @Chuckerdogs, as well as their trackers. After checking zero on our rifles, we made our way to camp where Jaco and @Scanos were also arriving at the end of a full day of hunting. For anyone who doesn’t know the story of @Scanos previous buffalo hunt it is well worth the read. @Scanos certainly lived up to every notion I had had of him; another fine gentleman whom I’m glad I was privileged to get to know.

Hunting started early the next morning. Temperatures were getting very warm in Mozambique this time of year with several days exceeding 40C. Along with this, the wind would begin to swirl, usually by 0800 and would remain unpredictable until later in the afternoon, thus creating difficulties with any stalking. Animal activity was primarily early morning and late afternoon, with most everything laying up during the mid-day.

Day one was spent mostly driving and taking in the scenery. That morning though we did stalk a very nice Kudu bull along with some cows. I was up on sticks, but not quick enough to get shot off before he disappeared into the forest. It was a great opportunity as well as a reminder that it’s about the hunt and not the kill; I was just happy to have seen such a magnificent animal.

Day two was similar to day one with the exception of picking up a pair of Dagga Boy tracks early that morning, but after a short stalk they had moved into some thick jess and we called off the pursuit. On the morning of day three, we pressed further from the camp as we had on the first two days. Picking up tracks for a set of three buffalo early, we began what would become a long stalk. For several hours we moved following the tracks, the winds somewhat cooperating. After several miles, our hopes of these buffalo were dashed as a large herd of buffalo crossed our path left to right at no more than 125 yards in front of us. While incredible to watch (they were oblivious to our presence) they completely wiped out the tracks of the buffalo we were trailing, ending our hope to see any of those. Excited to have seen the herd, but a little down from having lost the tracks of the dagga boys we began heading back to the truck. About halfway back, Godfried and Nhlapa picked up another set of buffalo tracks along with some feces that was still warm. Immediately we began following. After a mile or so, Danie and Godfried spotted four buffalo in a grove of trees about a hundred yards away. Leaving the trackers behind a termite mound, Danie and myself began maneuvering for the winds to get in a better position to view the buffalo. Crawling along, we made it from tree shrub to tree shrub; but in the end the wind got the best of us and the buffalo spooked. Again, frustrated, but having the time of my life, we headed back to the truck.

Day four dawned early and we headed out to the area we had been in the day before. A little after 0500, both Danie and Godfried saw fresh tracks where three buffalo had crossed the road. We parked and were on the trail. Walking through the miombo forest in the early morning light I could tell something was special. After only a half mile or so, Danie and the two trackers froze and slowly went down on a knee. I followed suit. At this point, Danie motioned me to follow him and we crept/crawled to a small split trunk tree that was about ten yards away. Looking into the brush ahead, at about 60 yards were three buffalo. One was standing facing and slightly quartering us, only the right side of his head and right horn were discernable with the left side obscured by brush. Another buffalo was standing perpendicular to him facing to the right, I could only see his body and not his head and one buffalo was laying down behind them. Danie confirmed what I already knew, the one facing us was really nice. Bringing the rifle up, Danie asked if I could see the outline of the bulls chest in the scope. Preparing to shoot propped up against the split trunk tree, I adjusted my scope in the dim morning light. Peering through the scope, I could tell he had a lot of mass and good width. Knowing his head was up, I could make out the outline of his chest. Danie whispered, “If you like him and you can make the shot, you’re cleared to shoot”. Putting the illuminated crosshairs just to the right of where I perceived his right shoulder to be, I stabilized the rifle and squeezed the trigger. In an instant all hell broke loose, the crack of the rifle and then the thundering hooves of the buffalo as they crashed out of the brush, all three moving off to and flanking our right side. I was unable to make a follow-up shot as they moved in and out of the brush in the early morning light in such a quick manner making it impossible to tell which one I had shot. Watching them move abeam us and then away, Godfried and Nhlapa were quick to get on the trail. Early on in the tracking, we found two distinct areas where he had stopped and bled a significant amount; and also noted he was now traveling alone. Following a good blood trail as well as noticing that he was occasionally dragging his front right hoof, we were in pursuit. On two separate occasions the buffalo made his way into some thick brush, the kind of stuff you can’t see more than 2-3 yards in. Tracking through this, I could feel my blood pressure constantly rising as I was extremely alert to the possibility of a charge. Fortunately, that charge never came and on both occasions, the buffalo was flushed but no shot could be made. While the animal kept moving, fortunately for us, he kept making very large “S” turns back and forth in search of cover and while the leg lengths were long, he never really got that far from the truck. Around noon, we were still on the trail but only about 200 yards from the truck. Due to the overhead sun, the tracks were becoming increasingly harder to follow so we decided it would be best take a break, eat lunch and give the buffalo a chance to bed. About 1500 we left the truck and with the sun starting to move lower creating some shadow, Godfried and Nhlapa were back on the trail. After about 45 minutes of tracking, we crested a hill with a small grove of trees down and to our right. In the center of that grove, directly where the tracks were leading, was the distinctive black body of a buffalo. Going up on sticks and thinking I was aiming at his front shoulder I fired and as it turned out sent a bullet right through his rear hip. The buffalo slowly came to his feet, it was obvious he was hurt. Once standing, I had a clear shot and put bullet into his right shoulder. At this point, he began moving forward, clearing the grove of trees, I was then able put two more bullets into his vitals. On the second impact, he fell back onto his haunches, swung his head back and forth and then rolled over. Handshakes and congratulations were in order followed by the work of recovering the animal.

Around the camp watering hole that evening, toast were made and talk was of hunts gone by. I had learned a day or two prior that through an unfortunate set of circumstances, Jaco stilled retained quota for one leopard. Being the last group of hunters in the camp, I inquired as to the feasibility of going after a cat. Jaco informed me that there was an old very nice leopard in the area that he had been watching on camera for three years, but currently did not have on bait; however, if I wanted to hang one to see what would happen, go ahead. The only problem was that this cat was, call it what you want; elusive, erratic, smart, etc.; had proven very hard to hunt. It seemed when no one was in the blind, the cat would come in very predictably and eat within an hour or two of sunset, however when actively hunted, he had no discernable pattern to his feeding. In fact, this is a leopard that we looked at last year when I was there on a leopard hunt, but had decided to go after another more predictably patterned cat. Well not this year, challenge accepted.

Buffalo1.jpg
Buffalo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Excellent writing and congratulations on your buffalo!

It's going to be a good one, I can't wait for rest! Next time we have to make a recording of the buffalo man song. Great start Caveman. I feel like an ass spelling Danie- Donny. Dumb American. Oh and by the way fellow AH'ers, if you have the opportunity, it's comforting having Caveman in the co-pilots seat.

@Chukardogs Thanks for the vote of confidence. It was a great hunt and I'm glad to have shared it with you and Kathy and looking forward to the next one! Also, I doubt Danie will care.

Great start to your hunt, look forward to reading the rest.

@Nkawu First shot ended up further back than anticipated. It hit right side back of the vital area and went into the liver. The entry hole was vertical, lengthwise of the bullet (wish I taken a picture). We figured there must have been a small tree or vine that I didn't see that the bullet struck and caused it to tumble and slightly change its trajectory.

Great report @Caveman! I’ve been meaning to give you a ring to hear about it.

Keep it coming please.

@ACM Holler anytime brother, we need to catch up!

Reactions: ACM
The next morning we were up early. @Scanos had completed his hunt the day prior and departed back to the U.S. Jaco, left without a hunter, agreed to take a pig carcass to the bait site to hang while Danie and myself continued to look for plains game. It should be mentioned that the game quality in Niassa is phenomenal and I was able to observe trophy quality Impala, Waterbuck, Eland, Kudu Warthog, Bushpig, Sable, Wildebeest, Duiker, Sharpes Grysbok, Zebra, Elephant (non huntable) every day. That afternoon, while watching a seep in a riverbed, I was able to take a nice Bushbuck.

The next morning Danie and myself continued to chase plains game, while Jaco checked the bait site. At lunch, he reported that the leopard had indeed hit the bait right around 1900 the previous evening, a good sign, but we were going to need more bait to hang. For this, I wanted to get a zebra, and Danie knew just the place. That afternoon we came across and were able to track three different herds of these animals, but unfortunately we were not able to get connect. No problem, as early the next morning we returned to the same location, and I was able to take a nice old stallion.

Arriving back in camp we dropped the zebra off at the skinning shed with the intent of taking a rear quarter to the bait site later that afternoon and then sitting that night.

Arriving at the bait site shortly after 1600, Danie secured the remote-control lights in the tree while Godfried and Nhlapa tied in the zebra and then departed the area in the truck. With sunset approaching, Danie and myself entered the blind, and so began the hunt I had asked for, the same hunt that Jaco had warned me about. At that point, I had six nights left in the hunt, feeling confident that six nights would surely be enough to get a leopard that was already on bait…

We sat until 2100 that evening with nothing more that a Civet visiting the bait. The following morning we were up and out after breakfast to check the bait. Sure enough, the leopard in question had arrived a little after 0200 that morning, eating for more than 30 minutes.

Five nights to go. We entered the blind again as the sun was getting low on the horizon. Shortly after dark, the motion sensor buzzed multiple times. Illuminating the tree we were unable to tell what had set it off. Later we learned from the cameras that a Hyena had made several loops around the base of the tree. Shortly after 2000, the motion sensor rattled again. After several moments, Danie brought on the lights. What I saw through my scope was a welcomed sight, a leopard feeding in the tree. Giving myself several seconds to evaluate the animal I realized it was not the large Tom we were looking for. About that time, Danie leaned over and whispered “female”. Though not what we were looking for, it was a really awesome experience to watch the leopard eat for the better part of a half of an hour. As an aside, the lights that Danie was using were a set of remote control LED’s that could be turned on in green, red, or white. In the green setting, they illuminated the tree and bait exceptionally well and I had no issue viewing the leopard through a 1-6x24 dangerous game scope even from where we were 70 yards away. The cats seemed unfazed with the lights as well. We left that night around 2130 having not seen the male. We did learn the next morning via camera that he had come twice that evening, once shortly after midnight and again around 0400.

Four nights to go. Hung up a new Zebra quarter prior to getting into the blind. Sits were now getting longer in hopes of trying to catch this leopard visiting the bait, but unfortunately we saw absolutely nothing, and after checking the bait and cameras the next morning, nothing had come in at all.

Three nights to go. The female visited again around 1900, but we did not see the male. Leaving the blind well after 2200, we learned from the camera the next morning that the male had come in shortly after we had left, this was the closest we had come to seeing this leopard.

Two nights to go. Discussing with Danie and Godfried the previous nights circumstances, could it be possible that the Tom “knew” we were there and was associating the truck coming by the blind to pick us up as a signal for his safety to go to the bait? It was worth a shot, and Danie instructed Godfried to drive past the blind around 2000, stop, open and close some doors and then move along. After hanging up a new piece of Zebra, and with high hopes, we put this plan in action. Probably by shear coincidence, the female came in within fifteen minutes of the truck drive by, but to our disappointment no sign of the male. Arriving the next morning to the bait, I was immediately deflated as it was obvious that the bait had been largely eaten. Pulling the camera footage revealed something remarkable. The leopard had not come in, but rather a lion had gotten into the tree shortly before dawn and devoured the bait.

Last night. We hung the last Zebra quarter in the tree and then took to the blind. Feeling optimistic since the leopard had not come in the night before, we were hopeful he would want to feed that night and we were prepared to sit until dawn if needed. We would not have to wait long until things got interesting. After sunset, but still in civil twilight where the bait could be seen without additional illumination, the motion sensor came alive. Looking at the bait though my scope, I saw the magnificent presence of a large male lion halfway up the tree tearing the bait apart. This is really cool, I thought; realizing that there would probably not be much left when he finished. The lion ate for a solid ten minutes and then hopped down from the tree. Looking at the bait though my scope, trying to access the damage, I witnessed the same lion return into the tree for round two. After another ten minutes or so he left again. Not more than fifteen minutes later and now completely dark, I was wondering whether there was even enough bait left in the tree; the motion sensor again came to life. After a brief pause, Danie pressed the remote to turn on the lights, there in the tree was a large male leopard. Danie was immediately inspecting it with his binoculars to ensure it was the correct cat. Due to the damage inflicted by the lion, the bait had been pulled apart and was dangling down. As a result the leopard was laying on the tree eating, not standing, and was a little further to the left than anticipated. The problem with this was that there was a tree directly between us and the leopard’s vitals. We needed him to move forward slightly for a clear shot. About this time, Danie had positively identified the leopard, he leaned over and whispered “take your time, when he stands you can shoot”. No sooner than the words came out of his mouth, the leopard stood, moved forward about a foot and began feeding again. So it happened, on the last night of my hunt, on the very last night of Kwalata’s 2023 Mozambique’s hunting season; I settled my reticle on a rosette on the leopards shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The rifle cracked, the muzzle flash briefly lit up the sky and then all was eerily silent, the tree was empty. I looked at my watch, it was 1841.

Bushbuck.jpg
Zebra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh Boy! Seeing that lion must have been awesome. Great write up! Can't wait for the rest.

Hunting leopard is very special, rewarding and ultimate chess match that leaves you frustrated and ecstatic all at the same time. Nice buff and bushbuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fabrizio_vintage

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you