Mounting a scope on a single bridge Mauser .416 Rigby

After seeing the pics of the "possible" scope bases I'm doubly sure you made the right decision. Those screws (unless they are to be used for fitting purposes only) look like they were installed by an amateur.

Regarding the availability of 375 Ruger ammo in South Africa check with "Safari and Outdoors." They are a small retail chain (4 stores I believe) and perhaps the best source of hunting gear, firearms and ammo in SA. They have a web-site showing their inventory and a knowledgeable sales staff. We needed to pick up a few things for out hunt last August. Believe me, I was more than impressed with their extensive selection of ammo. If they do not carry the 375 Ruger and have no plans of getting it, I doubt that it will be available anywhere in SA. Let me know what you find out.

As an alternative, take a look a rifles in 9.3 x 74 and 9.3 x 62. Both have stellar reputations on African game and will do "most" of what a 375 can do. Either caliber could be substituted for the 375 in the three gun battery I previously mentioned.

I am sure those screws are used for fitting purposes . Herr Wiethaup is a very famous gunmaker in Germany . As for safari and outdoors I will check immediately. Thx again for the information..

I am going to continue to be the contrarian.

Classic Euro swing mount. Not sure the exact maker, but they are extremely solid and dependable. And your gunmaker can match the case coloring on the action! It will look like it is growing out of that action. It is an amazing look if you have never seen one so configured.

At a certain age our eyes will not allow us to use traditional iron sights effectively. I may be wrong, but I suspect you are getting there along with me. You have a rifle with 250 meter capability which you are going to have to use as 40 - 70 meter club.

I assume you bought that lovely thing to use - not to sit at home as an art object. Then I would say, the hell with that logo and let that maker work his magic to mount that rifle with a first class piece of German glass. You will have an incredible rifle that is also extremely useful. And I suspect most of the "oh my God, don't scope it" group would be in equal awe were they to have seen it for the first time in case-colored mounts.

And yes, Oberndorf generally used the same actions on their civilian and military production lines before and after WWI. The civilian ones were typically embellished with logos, the military ones received production codes and acceptance stamps.

While I am sure your gunmaker would be delighted to build you another rifle, I would not hesitate an instant to have that one scoped.

A perfectly reasonable argument.
I am already trying to figure out how to import a scoped rifle if I were to order one from Herr Wiethaup . If I can get another case colored one with scope from him it will be like a matching set rifles ..
Thx for your advice .
By the way how is the weather in Texas ? I heard there was a possibility of big storm ?

I agree, the screws and mounts appear to be a work in progress. I spoke too quickly and too harshly.

I agree, the screws and mounts appear to be a work in progress. I spoke too quickly and too harshly.

It is perfectly understandable. You are an old school retired engineer.. I am thinking a mechanical one .. no one expects you to react in any other way when you see the condition of those screws :))))))

A perfectly reasonable argument.
I am already trying to figure out how to import a scoped rifle if I were to order one from Herr Wiethaup . If I can get another case colored one with scope from him it will be like a matching set rifles ..
Thx for your advice .
By the way how is the weather in Texas ? I heard there was a possibility of big storm ?
Texas is lovely! We had a little bit of rain yesterday, and today, crystal blue skies with a with a bit of wind off the plains to the north. Our fruit trees are already starting to blossom, and my farmer should be here any day to plant the front acreage in corn. The cedar elms are just starting to leaf out, and the pecan trees will be a month behind them. An early corn harvest should be perfect for whitewing doves in September. This winter we have had exactly three days with temperatures below zero centigrade.

Texas is lovely! We had a little bit of rain yesterday, and today, crystal blue skies with a with a bit of wind off the plains to the north. Our fruit trees are already starting to blossom, and my farmer should be here any day to plant the front acreage in corn. The cedar elms are just starting to leaf out, and the pecan trees will be a month behind them. An early corn harvest should be perfect for whitewing doves in September. This winter we have had exactly three days with temperatures below zero centigrade.

Blast furnace from May through September, but the rest of the year Texas is great!

I just had another thought. At one time in the early 1900(s) the Turkish Army used a Mauser variant in 7 x 57. Guns from that same period are often used in the States to build custom and or sporterized rifles. If you could pick up one of these old Mausers in good condition and get it restocked and scoped, you would have your "small" rifle. Just like the ammo for the 9.3(s), 7 x 57 ammo is available throughout SA.

I just had another thought. At one time in the early 1900(s) the Turkish Army used a Mauser variant in 7 x 57. Guns from that same period are often used in the States to build custom and or sporterized rifles. If you could pick up one of these old Mausers in good condition and get it restocked and scoped, you would have your "small" rifle. Just like the ammo for the 9.3(s), 7 x 57 ammo is available throughout SA.

I already looked around . There are only very few on sale and they are not in good condition . The good ones are never for sale here . We Turks love our Mausers :).

Take a look at the Forums section of AG There is one called 375 and Up. on page 3 or 4 there is a thread comparing the Ruger to the H & H Mag. One of the posts on that thread is from a guy in SA. He said that 375 Ruger was available at VLC in Pretoria, and that other retailers were going to be handling it. He also stated that a lot of PHs in the Limpopo Provence were using it. The thread was from 2012. Based on that post, I'd think there is a good chance that Safari & Outdoors carries it. SA has some very strict laws and regulations governing the sale of firearms and ammo. You need to make sure that you as a foreigner can purchase it. Because our guns and ammo did not arrive the dame day we did, we had to borrow our PHs guns for a few days. That is why we stopped at Safari & Outdoors. Our PHs had to show a government issued card that allowed them to purchase ammo for the calibers they owned. Each permit only covered ONE RIFLE.

I just looked at Safari and Outdoor's web-site. They do carry 375 Ruger ammo in 300 Gr. DGX only. I also sent them an email asking if they can sell ammo to foreign hunters showing proof of rifle ownership via a completed and signed SAPS 520 Form and if so, how many rounds can be purchased.

Hopefully I'll get a reply in the near future.

By the way, were you educated in the States or live here for a while? Your command of the English language and use of euphemisms isn't learned on foreign soil. Just my observation. I like your reasoned and disciplined approach to "problem solving." If we lived closer we could be buddies.

I just looked at Safari and Outdoor's web-site. They do carry 375 Ruger ammo in 300 Gr. DGX only. I also sent them an email asking if they can sell ammo to foreign hunters showing proof of rifle ownership via a completed and signed SAPS 520 Form and if so, how many rounds can be purchased.

By the way, were you educated in the States or live here for a while? Your command of the English language and use of euphemisms isn't learned on foreign soil. Just my observation. I like your reasoned and disciplined approach to "problem solving." If we lived closer we could be buddies.

Thank you very much . You are very kind .I was educated in USA :)) I have a degree in civil engineering from U of Miami .One of my daughters has a degree from Northeastern university and the second one is still studying in Boston University. So I visit US at least a couple of times every year .
You are right if we lived closer we could be buddies . Who knows maybe we get to meet in US or maybe in an African Safari:)
As for my disciplined approach to problem solving .. it is party due to my engineering degree and partly due to my father who was also an engineer:))

Guys ,
I found this one ! It is a 30-06 original Mauser . They don't know the exact manufacturing day but they say it is at least 25 years old . What do you think? Anybody can put a price on this one ? I think between this one and the .416 Rigby I will have everything covered :)
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG

cem rona ergin, this rifle appears to be in great shape. As far as the caliber goes 30-06 is about as versatile as they come. If the bore is in good condition i.e. bright, shiny, with sharp rifling it will serve you well. Determining its' value is another matter. Someone with a current Gun Digest (I don't have one") can give you a good approximation of what it is worth. However the supply of and demand for rifles of this sort can be different depending where you live and whether you are buying it from an individual or a gun shop. About a year and a half ago I went into a gun shop (that employs the best crew of gunsmiths in the state) to inquire about a trigger replacement for one of my Swedish Mausers. While I was waiting I browsed through their used gun rack. One rifle caught my eye, it was a pristine Winchester Mod. 70 made in 1948. These rifles command a premium in the States. The bluing was 100%, there wasn't a mark, ding or scratch anywhere. I paid $870 for it and thought I got a steal. Given your location and the paucity of good Mausers available my gut feel is that if the price seems reasonable I'd buy it and not look back.

By the way, I emailed Henry at riflepermits.com and asked about foreigners ability to purchase ammo in SA. His reply was "yes" but you have to show the Temporary Firearms Importation Permit for the caliber of ammo you want to purchase.

The year of production can generally be determined either from the serial number or other identification markings on the barrel. You should be able to look up this information online.

That '0-6 has a nice piece of wood on it. I know that I'd be proud to own it. Keep us posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.