Mountain Lion Hunt

INTERESTING FACT-cougars may be hunted year round in Utah with only a general hunting license. (As of May 2023)
Use of hounds is allowed year round as well except in specific hunting units.
Maybe someone can chime in but Texas might be the same.
@Firebird - thats interesting and did not know that. Had a friend of mine book guided cat hunt two years in a row in Utah (12 years ago) and while they cut tracks - dogs never treed a cat. Since Cougar only have 1-3 kittens every two years, I would think the population could not withstand that much hunting pressure and there would be a decline in cat numbers? It’s not a State I would go to for a Cat if that policy remains in place - even though Utah has put many cats into B&C record books - along with Idaho, I believe they (and Idaho) have good genetics and big skulls and have more Top-20 record book entries then any other State
 
@cpr0312 that looks like a nice sized cat, was it a Tom? I can’t tell by the head but body looks large. I’ve done 3 Cougar hunts (2/Idaho & 1 BC). We only treed one cat - Idaho 2nd hunt and my friend shot it—-Big Tom and a real trophy. To summarize - I’ve Cougar hunted a total of 21 days and only treed one cat and All were in good snow conditions where we could judge the track before turning dogs loose, I did turn down two cats based on track size and guide estimating the cat would be in the 120-130lb range…which is a decent 3 yr old cat but Not a trophy for me. Guide was happy to run the dogs on that cat but I didn’t want to waste a 1/2 day (or more) just to see a cat in a tree, preferred to keep looking for a better track - just never found one.
Question: when running a cat on dry ground, I’m told the size of the cat is more “luck” as it can be difficult to get a clean track to judge the size before turning dogs loose (unless you get lucky and see a nice track in sand or dry creek bed etc..). How did you decide to run your cat? You got a good one - congratulations!

Yes it was a Tom. They knew it would be a big one when we found the dead elk kill. Cats usually around there feed on calves and deer. We had the dogs on some tracks a few days earlier, but this morning we found the fresh elk kill, so it was a bit of good luck. The guide would decide each day based on finding tracks, or difficulty of the terrain to pursue or not. The terrain there requires horseback. I know Logan has taken many cats over the years, and quite a few large ones. This was day 3 of my hunt. At the time (2013), he and his dad said this was a top 3 cat for them during their time outfitting.
 
I hunted with Andrew Salgado in NM and got a big tom, H&A Outfitters, was a fun hunt
 
Yes it was a Tom. They knew it would be a big one when we found the dead elk kill. Cats usually around there feed on calves and deer. We had the dogs on some tracks a few days earlier, but this morning we found the fresh elk kill, so it was a bit of good luck. The guide would decide each day based on finding tracks, or difficulty of the terrain to pursue or not. The terrain there requires horseback. I know Logan has taken many cats over the years, and quite a few large ones. This was day 3 of my hunt. At the time (2013), he and his dad said this was a top 3 cat for them during their time outfitting.
@cpr0312 - that was really great for You, to take one of the “3 Best Cats” your Outfitter ever took is some very good fortune….a real Lifetime trophy!!
 
INTERESTING FACT-cougars may be hunted year round in Utah with only a general hunting license. (As of May 2023)
Use of hounds is allowed year round as well except in specific hunting units.
Maybe someone can chime in but Texas might be the same.
Back when I spent a lot of time in the Texas panhandle I was hunting mule deer with my late good friend Kelly Knight. We
came around a hill and there sat a mountain lion. Kelly kept telling me to shoot that thing because it was legal. I truly didn’t believe him but when he finally convinced me it was legal the Tom yawned and walked into a creek bottom. We looked and tried to call him back out but he never showed.

Huge regret, I should have trusted Kelly as I think I was only able to hunt with him a couple of more times before he passed but we did get a good laugh out of it.
 
Have you tried saying "here kitty-kitty?" Okay, bad joke.

Based on a couple hunt reports I've seen on AH, I am going early next year to Arizona and hunt with Logan Anderson with Seven Anchor Outfitters. I'm doing a rifle hunt, using a trusty old 30-30.

Look at the search function results for "mountain lion" in the title.

Dave, you forgot the laser pointer to use a backup if the kitty-kitty call doesn’t work.
 
Awsome experance watching the dogs work. One thing to remember Idaho has two directions.. strait up and strait down. Lol
Yes - and not too far off
 
With my dream of an African safari and Kudu hunt being fulfilled next Spring it's time for me to start thinking about my next dream hunt. I've always wanted to kill a large mountain lion with my bow. I'm looking for recommendations for outfitters and guides in the U.S. and Canada.
You might also check with David Martinez at DMV Outfitters in New Mexico. I hunted with him twice in 2020(lion & bear) and both animals were taken on the first day. The lion hunt was the most physically demanding hunt I've ever done!

Mountain Lion #1.jpg

Mountain Lion #2.jpg

Mountain Lion #4A.jpg
 
Last edited:
Byron Stewart of Tracks N Trails Outfitting in Alberta, without hesitation. No better place in North America if you are looking for an a B&C lion. I’ve taken 3 with him, and the smallest went 14 13/16”.
 
These big cats are awesome! Jumping in so I can follow the thread!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,327
Messages
1,573,151
Members
169,710
Latest member
Cpirillo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top