Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I got thinking this evening watching a glorious sunset about the magnificent beauty of the animals we hunt. Do a search on this forum on 'most beautiful antelope' and the results go on and on and clearly all hunters find their quarry beautiful. But if we were to crown just one, limiting it to Africa for now although the world has many, what would the winner be? Grace, poise, proportion, markings, horns - so much to love. So, what is your choice?

Without a doubt kudu, with its smoky grey coat, chevroned snout, wide spread, ivory tipped corkscrewed horns reaching heavenwards - almost as if in supplication! - just does it for me!! :love:

When I looked through all those posts what struck me was the spread of the choice, and here we are on three in the first three replies, it is going to be an interesting run!

Harnessed Bush buck
Nyala
Bongo
Sable

Among the swine Red river hog

And then not hunt able but the Okapi is fascinating

Kudu for me.... simply beautiful animals..

Nyala and Sable probably tie for second in my mind.. also beautiful..

My pick would be Bongo, followed by Sable. Gets really difficult after that. I'm sure if you've shot many of these animals and laid your hands and eyes on them, that makes a big difference. I have no African animals to my credit...yet.

Ok, I am going to put mine in early. Iv'e taken a sable, and it certainly ranks way up there. And to be sure the sheer majesty and poise of the massive eland with its board-room stare is in the top five. Kudu - very pretty for sure. But for the sheer perfection of its form and its grace, mine is the impala, I never tire of seeing them.

Lesser kudu. These are not necessarily the most magnificent (which might be a sable or a kudu), or the most interesting (nyala?) etc. But there is something about a lesser kudu that other antelope just don't seem to have - a delicate sort of beauty which other antelope don't have and that touches you in a way that a sable, for example, doesn't.

If that sounds odd to you, it's likely because you haven't hunted one yet!

Ok, I am going to put mine in early. Iv'e taken a sable, and it certainly ranks way up there. And to be sure the sheer majesty and poise of the massive eland with its board-room stare is in the top five. Kudu - very pretty for sure. But for the sheer perfection of its form and its grace, mine is the impala, I never tire of seeing them.
I can’t believe you said impala ( as I completely agree!), I have taken common Sable, southern greater Kudu, and many other common species, but in my eyes, the “lowly” southern impala or its northern cousin are one of the most elegant animals on the planet. Perhaps it is because they are so common, that they are not more prized. Also, they can be a very challenging hunt when stalked properly in bushveld conditions. It was number #1 on my bucket list on my 1st trip tp Africa some years ago (the PH thought I was nuts).

My pick would be Bongo, followed by Sable. Gets really difficult after that. I'm sure if you've shot many of these animals and laid your hands and eyes on them, that makes a big difference. I have no African animals to my credit...yet.
Only a matter of time Trogon, but in the bongo you have set the bar really high. Once those central African countries sort their problems out I would love to hunt one too.

@Kevin Peacocke ,

You should see if @BRICKBURN can add a poll to the original post. Just my 2 c

Maybe make it 5 choices and 1 "other"

Based on the choices I have read through already: Sable, Gemsbok, Bongo, Kudu, Nylala, other.

20180707_214818.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg