More Texas warthogs!

Well if it wasn't so cold.
Alaska has vast expanse of wilderness doesn't it? Who owns the wilderness?
It's a broad mix of federal, state, and native corporation land. For example, the refuge I work for (huntable) is roughly 5 million acres.

And I like the cold. Snowmachines are marvelous fun.

Until you put one of the front blades in a tree well.
Then you pull it back, dig it out... and keep right on motoring.

My morning ride to work for parts of the year...

IMG_5787.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@CoElkHunter
A GUN writer from Australia Col Allison had a run in with a so called pet warthog while having his morning coffee. The same thing attacked him without provocation and tore him up. Luckily they were able to get him to the hospital quickly otherwise he would have died. The warthog had to be shot to stop the attack and he spent months recuperating in Australia.
Don't ask him about pet warthog
Bob

@CoElkHunter
A GUN writer from Australia Col Allison had a run in with a so called pet warthog while having his morning coffee. The same thing attacked him without provocation and tore him up. Luckily they were able to get him to the hospital quickly otherwise he would have died. The warthog had to be shot to stop the attack and he spent months recuperating in Australia.
Bob
Well Bob, if he had a pet Tasmanian Devil, the same thing could've happened while sipping his evening Bundy. It's all fun and games until the "pet" is deprived of his/her morning/evening treat. Ha! Ha!
CEH

The problem is that sign usually reads:

"Hog Hunters Wanted

$300 a day trespassing fee

You have to stay in a local motel

For another $100 per hunter I'll show you where they are"

Shooting pigs is not hard or expensive.... running & operating a ranch is. That the difference.

Very true. Do you have any warthogs?

No sir....no warthogs. Pigs, yes. Do have friends that have STX ranches they have been seen on. SW of Cotulla area.

Shooting pigs is not hard or expensive.... running & operating a ranch is. That the difference.

I have no problem with them charging a little for access to their property, but when they are coming close to begging hunters to come onto their property to shoot hogs that are destroying their crop lands it starts to get ridiculous on what I have seen some of them charging.

I have no problem with them charging a little for access to their property, but when they are coming close to begging hunters to come onto their property to shoot hogs that are destroying their crop lands it starts to get ridiculous on what I have seen some of them charging.
I agree. A lot of these ranches raise beef and/or grow crops for their livelihood. These aren't "game" ranches where that IS their livelihood. If pigs are destroying their livelihood, prices for hunters to hunt pigs should reflect that. I'm not seeing that either. For YEARS, I've heard these ranchers complain about their pig problem, but they want an outrageous price for a DIY hunt on their land. Not me and many others! So we continue to read about the pig problem year after year and nothing changes. Wyoming had a overpopulation with pronghorn in the early-mid '90s. They came up with a public/private partnership and charged $25/doe tag for non residents and you could get up to five tags per hunter. We did this for several years and hunted DIY and camped (free permit) on a ranch. Ten years ago, we did the same thing, on the same ranch for $55/doe tag for non residents. So, either Texas has fewer pigs than Wyoming has pronghorn, or something is really amiss?

The ranchers love to bitch and moan about the hog problems, but they don’t do anything about it!
Their lofty thinking, and their self entitled attitudes is that they want people to pay through their noses to just step foot onto their property!
Well, what’s it going to be?!? Do they want help? Or do they want to keep bellyaching about it?
I can’t wait for them the richie riches to be hurting enough to let someone go and do it for free, or close to free!
It used to be that you could bargain with them, and give them half the meat. But boy! How the times change! And greed gets ever higher.
Now, too, if someone lets you on their property, it doesn’t mean you be idiots, and shoot up everything from this side up and some! Be smart! Be ethical!
Yes, you can have fun, and be a gracious guest at the same time!

Hawk

I think the whole hog (pun intended) armageddon thing is a scam. "Help! The crops and grass for the cattle that feed the nation are being decimated by hogs!" "We need your help now!" But, when you inquire about it, the cost is $600 for a two day DIY hunt, sleeping and meals in your own RV or motel, AND the ranch charges $1.00/lb for processing your meat, IF YOU EVER GET, LET ALONE SEE A HOG! But, I'm sure it works, otherwise this would have changed years ago. The same morons who will pay $60/box of cheap .30-06, are the same ones who will fuel this long continuing scam. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night! Rant over.

@CoElkHunter
Bob

I remember Col, he might have done some thing to piss the Boar off or didn't show any respect ?

That Warthog Boar would take NO shit from any thing or one & we had a big detour to kitchen for more drinks after he came in & the Dogs never go near him in the house or he will Fuck every one up !!

I have been to a few places that have pet/tame Wild animals from Cheetah, leopards, to Lions, Tigers & I don't trust any of them, the Cheetah I think I could fight off to save myself but the others no way, even a Giraffe at one place I says not for me, one side ways bump with his head I'm dead as !!!

The ranchers love to bitch and moan about the hog problems, but they don’t do anything about it!
Their lofty thinking, and their self entitled attitudes is that they want people to pay through their noses to just step foot onto their property!
Well, what’s it going to be?!? Do they want help? Or do they want to keep bellyaching about it?
I can’t wait for them the richie riches to be hurting enough to let someone go and do it for free, or close to free!
It used to be that you could bargain with them, and give them half the meat. But boy! How the times change! And greed gets ever higher.
Now, too, if someone lets you on their property, it doesn’t mean you be idiots, and shoot up everything from this side up and some! Be smart! Be ethical!
Yes, you can have fun, and be a gracious guest at the same time!

Hawk
I think the whole hog (pun intended) armageddon thing is a scam. "Help! The crops and grass for the cattle that feed the nation are being decimated by hogs!" "We need your help now!" But, when you inquire about it, the cost is $600 for a two day DIY hunt, sleeping and meals in your own RV or motel, AND the ranch charges $1.00/lb for processing your meat, IF YOU EVER GET, LET ALONE SEE A HOG! But, I'm sure it works, otherwise this would have changed years ago. The same morons who will pay $60/box of cheap .30-06, are the same ones who will fuel this long continuing scam. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night! Rant over.

My problem for letting someone to come shoot hogs, is it's not worth my out of pocket expense to drive there - the 2 1/2 hours each way to let someone in, and spending a night in a motel to let them out. If they reimbursement me expenses, I have to purchase a "lease licenses" from TPWD (While that's not expensive), log book, etc. just to kill hogs.

Some of you are fairly clueless about landowner and the hunter relationships but until you are a landowner, there is really no sense is hashing it over, so I'll leave that for another day. I will say this, NO WAY IS NORMAL HUNTING going to stop the hog infestation in Texas and other areas. Say 5 guys go out for a "free hunt" as some have voiced their desire to "help". If they hunt all weekend, all night, with the proper gear etc, we might kill 20-50 hogs. Big dent you might think? Nay. So now as the ranch manager, I have spent a LONG, labor intense weekend pissing in the wind so that 5 rightminded guys can come help us. If you want to stand hunt and drive the roads, same 5 guys might kill 5-10.

We have had a helicopter out twice in the last 6 weeks and have confirmed killed over 250 hogs on 6k acres. The ranch has been flying 5-6x per year for the past 5 years. Every time, they kill about the same numbers depending on the season. The landowner and share crop farmer are seriously in discussion about putting up cattle panels around 1,300 acres of farm fields bc the hogs do that much damage to the crops. I'm not even sure what the costs of that what run but obviously the amount of loss they suffer every year has them contemplating it :oops:

Some of you are fairly clueless about landowner and the hunter relationships but until you are a landowner, there is really no sense is hashing it over, so I'll leave that for another day. I will say this, NO WAY IS NORMAL HUNTING going to stop the hog infestation in Texas and other areas. Say 5 guys go out for a "free hunt" as some have voiced their desire to "help". If they hunt all weekend, all night, with the proper gear etc, we might kill 20-50 hogs. Big dent you might think? Nay. So now as the ranch manager, I have spent a LONG, labor intense weekend pissing in the wind so that 5 rightminded guys can come help us. If you want to stand hunt and drive the roads, same 5 guys might kill 5-10.

We have had a helicopter out twice in the last 6 weeks and have confirmed killed over 250 hogs on 6k acres. The ranch has been flying 5-6x per year for the past 5 years. Every time, they kill about the same numbers depending on the season. The landowner and share crop farmer are seriously in discussion about putting up cattle panels around 1,300 acres of farm fields bc the hogs do that much damage to the crops. I'm not even sure what the costs of that what run but obviously the amount of loss they suffer every year has them contemplating it :oops:
There's also the massive liability potential for a hunter getting injured/killed on his property, even here in Texas.

There's also the massive liability potential for a hunter getting injured/killed on his property, even here in Texas.
Yes that and other reasons why landowners do x,y and z that often hunters don' t understand which was why I alluded to that in my opening- but alas for another day :LOL:

All the above explains why they wouldn't want hunters on their property but not why they want to charge what they are charging.

I have no idea but what do they charge for a deer hunter who want's to come onto their property and how do they handle it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you