More Texas warthogs!

Sgt Zim -- I give up. What is a Thunder Chicken?
Turkey my aching hairy ass...
What is a Thunder Chicken?

images.jpg

Sometimes called a “thunder chicken,” for the thunderous sound of the flush, the Ruffed Grouse

Last edited by a moderator:
Buck Wild,
Thanks.
Hunted them for years in Comanche county and never heard that.
My turkey gun is 22 hornet over 12 ga.
That Hornet was effective on small game and prairie dogs out to 150 yards. Longest shot on Turkey was about 75 yards and it only took one shot.

I just realized I may have unwittingly insulted the good @sgt_zim, thinking/hinting that's a thunder chicken and him having already admitted to an obsession with them.

I didn’t pick that up, thank you for the clarification. Perhaps the poor man needs an intervention.

They are quite valuable so you might want to try trapping some. About $5000/each last time I saw some for sale live.
Warthogs will never be a problem in Texas. They eat grass and only have 3 little ones a year. With the predator situation like it is the numbers will not grow that large.
Wonder if they will interbreed with the local hogs. That would be an interesting scenario.

Most likely not as they don't interbreed with the Bushpig & the Bushpig can breed with Feral or Domestic Pig breeds !

Wonder if they will interbreed with the local hogs. That would be an interesting scenario.
I don’t believe they can. Very different species.

We call them Walmartians. Most of them look spaced out or are from some strange place.
I actually HAD to go there today. Middle of the day on my day off from work and the place is packed! WTF! Anyway, they did have some .243, .308, .30-30, .30-06 and 7mmRM ammo. But alas, no .270. I haven't seen .30-30, .30-06 or 7mm forever there?

I actually HAD to go there today. Middle of the day on my day off from work and the place is packed! WTF! Anyway, they did have some .243, .308, .30-30, .30-06 and 7mmRM ammo. But alas, no .270. I haven't seen .30-30, .30-06 or 7mm forever there?

I’ve been to the US only once, now about 8 years ago. I just had to go visit a Walmart to see what one and its patrons looked like. But then I was next to Santa Rosa in CA, so it just looked like any other big box store. Apart from the fact that ammo was sold over the counter!

I’ve been to the US only once, now about 8 years ago. I just had to go visit a Walmart to see what one and its patrons looked like. But then I was next to Santa Rosa in CA, so it just looked like any other big box store. Apart from the fact that ammo was sold over the counter!
Yes, it isn't a "treat" to go to Wal Mart. Nothing special and usually crowded. I only go there for laundry and personal hygiene stuff and odds and ends. But, their ammo prices are pretty good. I think the .243s were $24/box, .308, .30-06 and 7mmRM were $27/box and the .30-30s were $34/box. To put it into perspective, most other gun shops and places here like Cabelas and Bass Pro, are getting $40-50/box for the exact same ammo. Maybe more for .30-30 and 7mm?

@CoElkHunter
A GUN writer from Australia Col Allison had a run in with a so called pet warthog while having his morning coffee. The same thing attacked him without provocation and tore him up. Luckily they were able to get him to the hospital quickly otherwise he would have died. The warthog had to be shot to stop the attack and he spent months recuperating in Australia.
Don't ask him about pet warthog
Bob
Wow!

I remember Col, he might have done some thing to piss the Boar off or didn't show any respect ?

That Warthog Boar would take NO shit from any thing or one & we had a big detour to kitchen for more drinks after he came in & the Dogs never go near him in the house or he will Fuck every one up !!

I have been to a few places that have pet/tame Wild animals from Cheetah, leopards, to Lions, Tigers & I don't trust any of them, the Cheetah I think I could fight off to save myself but the others no way, even a Giraffe at one place I says not for me, one side ways bump with his head I'm dead as !!!
I would think a Cassowary would be one of the most dangerous animals to have for a pet? If it doesn't get it's morning treat of Vegemite, the next thing you know your laying on the ground having been disemboweled by the sharp claw on it's foot!

Yes, it isn't a "treat" to go to Wal Mart. Nothing special and usually crowded. I only go there for laundry and personal hygiene stuff and odds and ends. But, their ammo prices are pretty good. I think the .243s were $24/box, .308, .30-06 and 7mmRM were $27/box and the .30-30s were $34/box. To put it into perspective, most other gun shops and places here like Cabelas and Bass Pro, are getting $40-50/box for the exact same ammo. Maybe more for .30-30 and 7mm?
I flat out don't go to Walmart, and never have. It would have to be a real emergency. The 'cheap' price is not worth supporting Chinese goods which I try hard not to do...

I do. I don’t lease for hogs, I just want them all dead. If they were pure European Boars, that would be another story.
MMMMM... I´m not shure about the european boars...
We have them, here, and are very harmful, a real plague

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross