Moose loads for .375h&h

I drew my first Moose tag in 6 years this year, 260 gr Accubond will get the job done. I’ve had really good luck with the Accubond over the last few years.

curious.. if 400M shots are a strong possibility.. why 375 H&H?

wouldnt a 30 mag or 338 mag of some sort be a better option?

a 1-4x optic would also be a real challenge for me at 400M... Im sure I could hit the target.. but Im not sure I could put the bullet exactly where I wanted it at that distance with a max of 4x (my old eyes arent what they used to be... yours Im guessing are much better than mine these days)...

Just to add an option, I really like the performance of the Barnes 250 TTSX on plains game up to and including eland. I use it ahead of CFE223. Clean burning and the most accurate bullet in my MRC 375 H&H. Worked well at 30 yards on caracal, 70 yards on warthog, 90 yards on croc, 125 yards on eland, etc. it shoots at distance much flatter than the 235 grain and of course flatter than the 300 TSX.
Starting at 2,827 fps and 2.5” high at 100 yards for a 6” poi to 290 yards, it is still moving at over 2,100 fps at 400 yards and 18” low with over 2,500 ftubs of energy.

Im envious of your hunt! Best of luck with what ever you choose!

Given that it was a relatively last minute hunt and I've only got a month to prepare I'm limited to the rifles I own, I've got a .270 and a .375. I feel the .375 is the more appropriate rifle, likewise a 4x scope is not ideal but again limited time frame and using what I have. That being said I'm not worried about the ability to hit a mooses lungs at 400 yards if it becomes necessary. I intend to hunt closer if possible.

270 will get it done.. but I agree with you.. 375 is the better option (for me at least) for a moose...

When I started hunting, 4x and 6x was pretty much it except for target work. 4x worked fine at over 400 yards on antelope. You’ll do fine as long as you practice.

did not expect such good bullet performance at that range from a lowly cup and core bullet in "cheap" factory ammo. The .375 works well on moose sized game. Don't over think things.

skinnerblade, i agree with long hammer. the 375 is plenty for moose with any bullet 260+ you don't NEED to spend a lot of time with load workup etc unless you want to. i've shot lots of moose with a 375 (ruger) moose are not so much tough as they are large. if you lung shoot em, they are so big it takes em a minute to die. the noslers, A frames and barnes bullets would all serve you well, but....the factory loads you have will do fine. just place the bullet well and you are gonna have a lot of meat to deal with! good luck on your hunt.

One more comment about scopes - The second most recent moose I have killed, previous to the one in the picture I posted, was shot with my Brno 22F 7x57 topped with a Leupold 2.5x scope. Range was 250 long steps. Norma 170 gr. RN factory load, almost antique ammo. I did not find scope ( or cartridge) to be a handicap. It's more about how you shoot, not what you shoot 'em with.

My current battery consists of a .270 and a .375 I don't feel the .270 is adaquite for moose sized game.

270 will do for years all I had was a 270 and a 30-30 shot many moose with the 270 when I lived in Fort Nelson BC. Last one weighed in at 1700 lbs, one shot into the heart.

One more comment about scopes - The second most recent moose I have killed, previous to the one in the picture I posted, was shot with my Brno 22F 7x57 topped with a Leupold 2.5x scope. Range was 250 long steps. Norma 170 gr. RN factory load, almost antique ammo. I did not find scope ( or cartridge) to be a handicap. It's more about how you shoot, not what you shoot 'em with.

In a German forum we have the topic :bullet for red deer (probably weigh only a third of a moose or less)
With your bullet and caliber you would be in Germany, so their opinion, no deer can kill at 130 meters :) :)

I love the x57 rounds

Moose.jpg

it's hard to believe, that these huge animals can be reached over long distances with the 7x57

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg