Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Phil, for guys that live and hunt out West 500 & 600 yd. shots are not all that uncommon. So having your own range and being able to ring 600 yd. gongs on occasion sure helps. I've read Nathan Foster's Practical Guide to Long Range Shooting, having never done it, I respect those that put in the time and effort to be able to do it. Yours was not just a lucky shot.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Phil, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything that mentioned what type of scope you had on your Tikka 7mm. I even had to look up Kestrel to find out it is a ballistic calculator. Us Eastern hunters must be a real challenge for you guys.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Philip
Hats off to you for practicing at long range, and testing your rifle and loads to greater distance. So you were ready for a shot at those ranges.
Thanks.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Phil, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything that mentioned what type of scope you had on your Tikka 7mm. I even had to look up Kestrel to find out it is a ballistic calculator. Us Eastern hunters must be a real challenge for you guys.
I used a Leupold VXR 4-12 with windplex reticle. It has a small dial on he elevation that I like. Not a big tall turret to get in the way. With the Kestrel, this scope, and rangefinder binos I was all set. Don’t feel bad I wouldn’t need this setup here at my ranch as most any shots would be less than 200yds.
Philip

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
Phil, for guys that live and hunt out West 500 & 600 yd. shots are not all that uncommon. So having your own range and being able to ring 600 yd. gongs on occasion sure helps. I've read Nathan Foster's Practical Guide to Long Range Shooting, having never done it, I respect those that put in the time and effort to be able to do it. Yours was not just a lucky shot.
As they say practice makes perfect. At the SAAM shooting school I hit gongs out to 1200 yds with my 7mm Mag. After doing that 500yds is a chip shot! Believe me I am not an accomplished long range shooter so anyone can do it with a little effort and the right equipment. Remember this little Tikka and Leupold scope is a pretty cheap setup in the grand scheme of things and it works very well.
Philip

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Phillip, when I first read your hunting report I wondered if you had received some long distance shooting training. Now that question has been answered. Is your 7mm Tikka a "stock" rifle or was it worked over by a gunsmith or a firm like Hill Country Rifles? What size groups do you get out of that rifle at 1 or 2 hundred yds.?

Chago

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Don't know how I missed this since last summer. Phillip congrats on a awesome hunt. 2 hunts high on my list are the Asian ibex species and Spanish ibex. I love mountain species. Well done and those are some amazing trophies.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
Phillip, when I first read your hunting report I wondered if you had received some long distance shooting training. Now that question has been answered. Is your 7mm Tikka a "stock" rifle or was it worked over by a gunsmith or a firm like Hill Country Rifles? What size groups do you get out of that rifle at 1 or 2 hundred yds.?
Yes I’ve trained at SAAM a few times and it was so valuable. My Tikka is right out of the box. It shoots under 1” groups at 100 and I’ve been good on gongs out to 1000. In this world where everyone thinks they need a custom gun I just want to share my experience with the Tikka. For actual hunting I don’t think you could wish for better accusers you for the price. I am now advising many hunters going on their first safari and the Tikka is my go to recommendation.
Philip

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
Don't know how I missed this since last summer. Phillip congrats on a awesome hunt. 2 hunts high on my list are the Asian ibex species and Spanish ibex. I love mountain species. Well done and those are some amazing trophies.
Thanks, it was quite an adventure. My mounts should be done pretty soon. What a memory they will be!

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings