MONGOLIA: Mongolia Ibex & Roe Deer Hunt

Phil, for guys that live and hunt out West 500 & 600 yd. shots are not all that uncommon. So having your own range and being able to ring 600 yd. gongs on occasion sure helps. I've read Nathan Foster's Practical Guide to Long Range Shooting, having never done it, I respect those that put in the time and effort to be able to do it. Yours was not just a lucky shot.

Phil, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything that mentioned what type of scope you had on your Tikka 7mm. I even had to look up Kestrel to find out it is a ballistic calculator. Us Eastern hunters must be a real challenge for you guys.

Philip
Hats off to you for practicing at long range, and testing your rifle and loads to greater distance. So you were ready for a shot at those ranges.
Thanks.

Phil, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything that mentioned what type of scope you had on your Tikka 7mm. I even had to look up Kestrel to find out it is a ballistic calculator. Us Eastern hunters must be a real challenge for you guys.
I used a Leupold VXR 4-12 with windplex reticle. It has a small dial on he elevation that I like. Not a big tall turret to get in the way. With the Kestrel, this scope, and rangefinder binos I was all set. Don’t feel bad I wouldn’t need this setup here at my ranch as most any shots would be less than 200yds.
Philip

Phil, for guys that live and hunt out West 500 & 600 yd. shots are not all that uncommon. So having your own range and being able to ring 600 yd. gongs on occasion sure helps. I've read Nathan Foster's Practical Guide to Long Range Shooting, having never done it, I respect those that put in the time and effort to be able to do it. Yours was not just a lucky shot.
As they say practice makes perfect. At the SAAM shooting school I hit gongs out to 1200 yds with my 7mm Mag. After doing that 500yds is a chip shot! Believe me I am not an accomplished long range shooter so anyone can do it with a little effort and the right equipment. Remember this little Tikka and Leupold scope is a pretty cheap setup in the grand scheme of things and it works very well.
Philip

Phillip, when I first read your hunting report I wondered if you had received some long distance shooting training. Now that question has been answered. Is your 7mm Tikka a "stock" rifle or was it worked over by a gunsmith or a firm like Hill Country Rifles? What size groups do you get out of that rifle at 1 or 2 hundred yds.?

Don't know how I missed this since last summer. Phillip congrats on a awesome hunt. 2 hunts high on my list are the Asian ibex species and Spanish ibex. I love mountain species. Well done and those are some amazing trophies.

Phillip, when I first read your hunting report I wondered if you had received some long distance shooting training. Now that question has been answered. Is your 7mm Tikka a "stock" rifle or was it worked over by a gunsmith or a firm like Hill Country Rifles? What size groups do you get out of that rifle at 1 or 2 hundred yds.?
Yes I’ve trained at SAAM a few times and it was so valuable. My Tikka is right out of the box. It shoots under 1” groups at 100 and I’ve been good on gongs out to 1000. In this world where everyone thinks they need a custom gun I just want to share my experience with the Tikka. For actual hunting I don’t think you could wish for better accusers you for the price. I am now advising many hunters going on their first safari and the Tikka is my go to recommendation.
Philip

Don't know how I missed this since last summer. Phillip congrats on a awesome hunt. 2 hunts high on my list are the Asian ibex species and Spanish ibex. I love mountain species. Well done and those are some amazing trophies.
Thanks, it was quite an adventure. My mounts should be done pretty soon. What a memory they will be!

I booked my Mongolia hunt with The Hunting Consortium and decided to not only hunt the two Ibex that inhabit this country but the beautiful Siberian Roe Deer as well. I flew from DFW to Seoul to Ulaanbator Mongolia then overnighted in a hotel. The next day we flew to Khovd to the Altai mountains. This area is beautiful but incredibly rugged! Driving straight up the Rocky Mountain on the way to camp we met one of the guides along the mountain top. We stopped and visited and in Mongolian tradition broke out the vodka to toast what would be a successful hunt. Each person takes a shot of vodka, dips their ring finger in it, flicks the vodka in the air with the ring finger, then drinks the shot. They said there were a few ibex down the mountain so I got the Swaro spotting scope out. It was not even the first hunting day but really a travel day on my itinerary but there were some good Ibex there and we decided to head down the mountain. Did I mention we have not yet made it to camp? We slid down some parts of this rugged mountain then finally get in somewhat of a spot to take a look at them. My Swaro binos ranged them at 380. I decided not to let this grand opportunity go because this is a very harsh place and who knows what tomorrow may bring. I dialed my Tikka 7mm for the range and didn’t worry about the wind as it was not too windy. I was on very sharp rocks with my Harris bipod and after several minutes of waiting for the right shot and to catch my breath I squeezed off the 160gr Barnes. I connected on an over 10 year old Altai Ibex! Did I mention we never made it to camp? It was getting late but we got down to the old billy and got pics and caping done. Unfortunately it got dark on us climbing out. It was really rough getting out of there with extremely steep cliffs and loose rocks. The guides decided not to continue to camp but set up a fly camp here on the side of the mountain. On the side of the mountain! My tent was sideways and I was sliding down hill in my sleeping bag all night! I think I may have said we never made it to camp!
We are off to the Gobi desert for the Ibex that lives there. It will take two days driving to get there.

More to come!

View attachment 302868 View attachment 302869
He is absolutely gorgeous!!! Congratulations on a super billy. Stunning country too.

As they say practice makes perfect. At the SAAM shooting school I hit gongs out to 1200 yds with my 7mm Mag. After doing that 500yds is a chip shot! Believe me I am not an accomplished long range shooter so anyone can do it with a little effort and the right equipment. Remember this little Tikka and Leupold scope is a pretty cheap setup in the grand scheme of things and it works very well.
Philip
Thank you Philip for posting your trip.

Thank you very much!

@Philip Glass did you get your mounts? Would love to see them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg