Model 70-super express vs safari express?

Rubi_300

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Freemasons, Safari Club International, O.G.C.A.
Hi guys,

I am trying to find out what the differences are between the Winchester safari express and super express. I haven’t been successful finding much here or online.

I am thinking about buying a model 70 safari express in 375 H&H but just wish they made a super grade safari express.

I know the super express has been discontinued for some time but I’m just curious what the differences are.

In a nutshell, Super Expresses were sort of precursors to Safari Expresses. A couple of differences are their Monte Carlo stocks, the fold down front sight, the soldered on front swivel stud and the glossy metal. One has to look carefully; however, as not all were CRF. They were also made exclusively in New Haven. Hope this helps.

In a nutshell, Super Expresses were sort of precursors to Safari Expresses. A couple of differences are their Monte Carlo stocks, the fold down front sight, the soldered on front swivel stud and the glossy metal. One has to look carefully; however, as not all were CRF. They were also made exclusively in New Haven. Hope this helps.
Gotcha, thank you. I love the new safari express but would have to do something about the matte finish. It drives me crazy.

Matte finish is good for not being seen, but personal choice. Other differences: stock on the Super is is more svelte, different recoil pads (red vs black), and triggers are different.

I have a CRF super in 416 Rem, and I really enjoy it. However, at 8lbs 14oz empty with no scope it can be “sporty” from the bench. Scoped it’s robust but pleasant to shoot.

Last edited:
Are there any options I might be missing for a bolt action 375? The m70s only hold 3 in the magazine and I see on more Mauser action rifles that have a bigger magazine that’s holding 4. 1 extra round isn’t a deal breaker but honestly I think the bigger magazine looks better imo. I saw there were some “custom African express” m70’s that had the bigger magazines but were in 416 rem mag. I love the way they look. Don’t want to drop 15k plus on a Mauser or Rigby. Just curious if there are some other options under 5k that have the bigger magazine.

I have the 416 model 70 with the cheek piece but want a good kevelar stock for it without cheek piece .They are awesome guns fun to shoot

Another log to add to this fire. A number of year ago, I bought a Model 70 Custom Express in 375 H&H. It was an old stock, new-in-box rifle made in New Haven in the early 90s. Nicer wood, but I don’t think it’s AAA grade. Polished blued barrel , matte receiver, engine turned bolt. It had a long list of custom shop stuff done. I’ve hunted with it twice in Africa and I’m taking it again this June to SA.

I really like the gun, but I haven’t read much about the particular version. Anyone know the story on these guns?

Another log to add to this fire. A number of year ago, I bought a Model 70 Custom Express in 375 H&H. It was an old stock, new-in-box rifle made in New Haven in the early 90s. Nicer wood, but I don’t think it’s AAA grade. Polished blued barrel , matte receiver, engine turned bolt. It had a long list of custom shop stuff done. I’ve hunted with it twice in Africa and I’m taking it again this June to SA.

I really like the gun, but I haven’t read much about the particular version. Anyone know the story on these guns?
They have a different stock design than the standard don’t they?

Like this one?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.21.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.21.55 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.21.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.21.57 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.21.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.21.58 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Are there any options I might be missing for a bolt action 375? The m70s only hold 3 in the magazine and I see on more Mauser action rifles that have a bigger magazine that’s holding 4. 1 extra round isn’t a deal breaker but honestly I think the bigger magazine looks better imo. I saw there were some “custom African express” m70’s that had the bigger magazines but were in 416 rem mag. I love the way they look. Don’t want to drop 15k plus on a Mauser or Rigby. Just curious if there are some other options under 5k that have the bigger magazine.
My CZ 550 in .458 Lott holds 5 down. My CZ550 .375 holds 6 down! These are important things to consider for a DG rifle.

I’d take the Safari because I’m a sucker for barrel mounted sling swivels.

I know this is a bit older thread but I'm looking for a little info on a rifle I've got coming in. It's a M70 Super Express in 375H&H, I was told its an unfired custom shop rifle. It does have a "custom Winchester built and hand fitted" muzzle break with front angled slots which I've never seen before. It's supposed to be crf and was built early 70's. It has nice wood but not gorgeous. So what is "upgraded" on this rifle over the standard grades? Is it worth any more, I paid a pretty penny (to me anyway) for it. In going at least the accuracy is custom shop worthy. Thanks for info guys

BTW the barrel is glossy but receiver looks to be matte

I have a Model 70 Classic Safari Express new in the box, but it's a .458 Win Mag. Beautiful guns.

This is that odd front slotted brake, anybody seen one of these? I'm wondering how much good it would actually do and where I can have a nice looking thread protector made in case it makes it to loud to enjoy shooting

Screenshot_20230712_093732_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.