Model 70 Pre 64 Custom Rifle-25-06, Octagon/Round Barrel With Integral Wuarter Rib

Esoteric Junkie

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Custom 25-06 rifle.
This is the perfect custom rifle for African plains game or North American game.
Pre 64 Model 70 action- 487xxx SN range, control round feed, claw extractor. Checkered bolt knob, three position safety. The top of the right feed ramp is jeweled and blued. McMillan fiberglass stock, Griffin & Howe pattern. Stock is full length bedded to the forend. The stock has a shadow line cheekpiece and rear swivel stud. Barrel is octagon from the receiver transitioning to round at the forend. Two integral rings accentuate the transition from octagon to round. Integral quarter rib with one standing and three folding leaf Recknagel express rear sight. Recknagel/ERA barrel band front sight with removable silver bead and quick removable hood via push button. The barrel also incorporates a sling swivel stud. The stock and metal are in excellent overall condition. Priced well below what it would cost to build. The barrel machine work would run about $2000+.

Weight is 7 pounds 12 ounces. Barrel is 21.5" from receiver face (22.5" oal). Muzzle diameter is .560".

$2750 plus FOB shipping to your FFL. PM me with any questions
Pre 64 25-06 5.JPG

Pre 64 25-06 6.JPG

Pre 64 25-06 3.JPG

Pre 64 25-06 4.JPG

Pre 64 25-06 11.JPG

Pre 64 25-06 10.JPG

Pre 64 25-06 12.JPG
Pre 64 25-06 7.JPG

Like to see some pictures of the action and bolt face if you have a chance.

How about some background info: builder? Why built? Why selling? # rounds? Location? Etc…

How about some background info: builder? Why built? Why selling? # rounds? Location? Etc…
I do not know who built the rifle or did the barrel work, however it is a very nicely machined octagon to round with integral rib featured barrel. John Pell offered similar machined barrels to this one and it is possible that John Pell did the barrel work, however I cannot confirm if he made the barrel. The rifle is in excellent condition and priced right.

EJ

Last edited:
I have never seen a 25-06 with leaf express sites, nor such a unique transition area from round to octagonal on the barrel.....looks very attractive and well done. GLWS............FWB

I have never seen a 25-06 with leaf express sites, nor such a unique transition area from round to octagonal on the barrel.....looks very attractive and well done. GLWS............FWB
Flatwater Bill,
Yes, it is a very unique combination and is very well executed. I am envisioning the barreled action in an exhibition bastogne walnut stock but I have too many irons in the fire at the moment to make that happen.
EJ

kind of like the rifle....a bit...not in love but its growing on me so somebody take this please! Otherwise...SUGGESTIONS on rechambering THIS barrel? With those leaf express sights with machined in 1/4 rib i would want to go as big as possible but how much barrel is there and what could i go up to? Its long action so ????? IDEAS GENTS as im seriously thinking on it.

Free bump in the interim!

kind of like the rifle....a bit...not in love but its growing on me so somebody take this please! Otherwise...SUGGESTIONS on rechambering THIS barrel? With those leaf express sights with machined in 1/4 rib i would want to go as big as possible but how much barrel is there and what could i go up to? Its long action so ????? IDEAS GENTS as im seriously thinking on it.

Anything on a 30-06 case would be the easiest rebore-rechamber scenario. You’ll need at least .030” greater bore than you currently have .257” to do a rebore. The other consideration is how much meat there is on the barrel at the deepest part of the flutes.

By that math, 270win is definitely out. 280win would be excellent. 30-06 would be possible. 35 whelen *might* work provided there is enough barrel mass at muzzle and at the point of the flutes.

Just a handful of skilled smiths doing reborn work these days and I’m unsure if they could do the work with the integrated rib on the barrel or not. You’d need to call around.

Good idea. Is proper headspace an issue when reboring something other than a simple round barrel? Seems like you would have to be super precise as no room for error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross