Method Of Payment

I just received a certified check for a rifle I posted on this website. The check was deposited in an atm at our bank and the bank notified me it is fraudulent. We didn’t use the money deposited in our account and I didn’t ship the rifle! I will use third party in future purchases or sales.

I just received a certified check for a rifle I posted on this website. The check was deposited in an atm at our bank and the bank notified me it is fraudulent. We didn’t use the money deposited in our account and I didn’t ship the rifle! I will use third party in future purchases or sales.
Did you send the rifle? Please PM me the member username who you had the transaction with so that we may take the appropriate actions. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Did you send the rifle? Please PM me the member username who you had the transaction with so that we may take the appropriate actions. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Sorry just read now that you didn’t ship the rifle which I’m relieved to hear.

In late September I sold my CZ 550 in Gibbs 505 on this website. I received a check for $3520 which the bank immediately identified as fraudulent. I went to the my bank and obtained a copy of the check found the website of the bank which I called. I was transferred to the bank “bookkeeper” and was told the check had cleared. My bank canceled the money from my account a few weeks later. Be careful scammers are sophisticated. I was lucky and never shipped my rifle.

The scammers are getting quite creative anymore on paying for something that is fraudulent.

Just recently I sold some items on Craig's List here in the US. I couldn't believe what some of the scammers were offering me in order not to show up and pay me cash on the spot.

Even when I went into my bank the other day to make a second payment on a safari for next year. I handed the back officer a piece of paper that I had printed out with the wire transfer information on it. Then the 20 questions started. How did you get this information? Did you get it in a email? Do you know these people that you are sending the money too? I finally just handed her the receipt from the last wire transfer that I had done.

As for selling items on here, I have sold a couple of items and I took a personal check. But I also looked at the members status and post count on the forum here. I would never take a check from one that had fewer than 100 post or has been a member for just a short time. Then with all the fraudulent money orders, checks, and other means of payment I believe that if I was selling a rifle or something else that was high end I would just tell them to do a wire transfer and even perhaps offer to go 50/50 split on the cost of the transfer.

I have messaged you to confirm the check sent to we is still fraudulent. I did not see a reply from you. Did you receive my update? Thanks Ed

I have messaged you to confirm the check sent to we is still fraudulent. I did not see a reply from you. Did you receive my update? Thanks Ed
@Edward Dutra, The last email I received from you was on October 9, 2021 and I replied to you that same day thanking you for the update. I received your initial email on October 8, 2021 informing me that your bank had informed you that the certified check that you received was fraudulent. I immediately banned the member in question who in turn also emailed me on October 8, 2021 to claim that his certified check cleared his bank and that he was the one who got scammed. I restored his member's account on AH so the both of you could communicate here if need be.

I don't know what is going on here and so I suggested to the both of you that there may have been a misunderstanding and for the both of you to try amongst yourself to resolve the issue.

In late September I sold my CZ 550 in Gibbs 505 on this website. I received a check for $3520 which the bank immediately identified as fraudulent. I went to the my bank and obtained a copy of the check found the website of the bank which I called. I was transferred to the bank “bookkeeper” and was told the check had cleared. My bank canceled the money from my account a few weeks later. Be careful scammers are sophisticated. I was lucky and never shipped my rifle.
So I called my bank today after reading this. The checked cleared on the 6th of October, nothing more on the check, and they say someone has that money. I've bought a 416 Rigby through gunbroker by same payment method, no issues. Ed do you have any proof on any of this? This just coming from a guy with no gun and no money. Not sure what kind of lawyer or agency to even look into something like this...

I just bought a CZ550 (Awesome rifle) from a new individual on gunbroker. I used GunTab, a new escrow service for firearm sales. A perfect experience!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had issues with Money Order and Bank Checks.
It's not the money order or check that is the problem. It's the a-hole that sends a bad one of either. One of the reasons it's good to see AH as a whole trying to weed those bastards out before they con anyone. Sites like GB seem to have quite a few grifters trying to swindle folks. Using a service like GunTab does take some of the risk out of a transaction, albeit at a price.

if it is within a reasonable drive to both parties I prefer to pay and pick up via face to face, secondly all other purchases have been made by cashier check or postal money order or trades and have had success with all my dealings with all AH members.

Many folks don't like USPS money orders but I've never had a problem accepting them for payment. The USPS has a toll free phone number where you can enter some information from the money order and they will tell you if your information matches what they have in their system. If the info. doesn't match it's a fraud. Here's the #: 1-866-459-7822.

I just sold a Unertl scope to a new member here, we agreed on a price over the phone after BSing for about an hour. I shipped the scope the following day and told him I’d wait to cash the check until he was satisfied with the scope as described. He called me today letting me know he was pleased with the scope. I always talk to someone over the phone on items of value, if I get screwed on a 50 dollar item, I’ll recover, still trying to have faith in some people, not everyone is out to get you.

while companies like Target and Chipotle no longer allow customers to carry firearms in their stores.

I don't ask em. i carry concealed, they don't know i am carrying. if they ask to frisk me, well, that will become another problem. i carry in all kinds of places that "don't allow" it. sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

I found this public online escrow service yesterday, https://www.escrow.com/, when trying to find a safe way to pay for items from a new member on AH that I wasn't sure I could trust (not that I am not new, I meant it more as opposed to say trusting @Bullthrower338 who seems to be part of the furniture here :D ). They take Credit card as a payment option, which is great for me, but sure, there is a service fee. I am unsure if you could use them for actual firearm sales, but for smaller transactions like what I was trying to do, it seemed a great choice.

I found this public online escrow service yesterday, https://www.escrow.com/, when trying to find a safe way to pay for items from a new member on AH that I wasn't sure I could trust (not that I am not new, I meant it more as opposed to say trusting @Bullthrower338 who seems to be part of the furniture here :D ). They take Credit card as a payment option, which is great for me, but sure, there is a service fee. I am unsure if you could use them for actual firearm sales, but for smaller transactions like what I was trying to do, it seemed a great choice.
These guys are an escrow service specifically geared towards firearm buying or selling. They will also handle other type sales as well. Reasonable (to me) fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg