Method Of Payment

I found this public online escrow service yesterday, https://www.escrow.com/, when trying to find a safe way to pay for items from a new member on AH that I wasn't sure I could trust (not that I am not new, I meant it more as opposed to say trusting @Bullthrower338 who seems to be part of the furniture here :D ). They take Credit card as a payment option, which is great for me, but sure, there is a service fee. I am unsure if you could use them for actual firearm sales, but for smaller transactions like what I was trying to do, it seemed a great choice.
I’m like a comfortable old recliner, kinda smelly, busted up but hard to get rid of! Good doing business with you Tielman!
Cheers,
Cody

These guys are an escrow service specifically geared towards firearm buying or selling. They will also handle other type sales as well. Reasonable (to me) fees.

Oh yea, those fees are indeed better than the service I linked! Thanks

Was just getting ready to list some stuff and was thinking of using Venmo due to convenience. Will list a preference for Zelle instead (once I figure out how to use the service myself). I have sold lots of stuff on this site before (a couple of rifles, ammo, components, reloading gear) and have always been paid by check. That was a while ago and I thought Venmo (or Zelle) would work better in 2022. Glad that I didn't just list with a preference for Venmo (which I have never used myself but was told would work well...by a person that would not have been aware of their stance against such paraphernalia as a rifle or a few boxes of ammo).

This may be more properly switched to general Chat but since it deals with a recent sales scam (https://www.africahunting.com/threa...model-70-super-grade-30-06.62810/#post-772178) I'm posting it here for opinions. when I purchase something that was advertised on the internet I pay in one of two ways: if it is a company I'll use a credit card that I have through a local bank but most often, the sale is by an individual
This may be more properly switched to general Chat but since it deals with a recent sales scam (https://www.africahunting.com/threa...model-70-super-grade-30-06.62810/#post-772178) I'm posting it here for opinions. when I purchase something that was advertised on the internet I pay in one of two ways: if it is a company I'll use a credit card that I have through a local bank but most often, the sale is by an individual as on AH and i use a personal check. I find the personal check the most satisfactory. If it gets lost/stolen in the mail payment is easily stopped and if it is cashed, it will have the signature of the casher and I get the check back from the bank. the seller is protested because it is agreed that shipment of product is delayed until the funds have cleared, which anymore is in less than two days. I once tried to buy a filter for my Hasselblad camera (so long ago that it was pre-digital). The seller was in OZ and wanted certified funds. So I sent a cert ck. then the seller decided to keep the filter. to his/her credit she didn't try to cash the check but he/she didn't return it either, so I had to pay about half the amount of the check to the bank to stop payment. That was the last time I cent a cert ck.

What systems of payment have all of you found to yield satisfactory results when internet items offered by individuals are involved?

as on AH and i use a personal check. I find the personal check the most satisfactory. If it gets lost/stolen in the mail payment is easily stopped and if it is cashed, it will have the signature of the casher and I get the check back from the bank. the seller is protested because it is agreed that shipment of product is delayed until the funds have cleared, which anymore is in less than two days. I once tried to buy a filter for my Hasselblad camera (so long ago that it was pre-digital). The seller was in OZ and wanted certified funds. So I sent a cert ck. then the seller decided to keep the filter. to his/her credit she didn't try to cash the check but he/she didn't return it either, so I had to pay about half the amount of the check to the bank to stop payment. That was the last time I cent a cert ck.

What systems of payment have all of you found to yield satisfactory results when internet items offered by individuals are involved?
Good Afternoon Everyone, After seeing it recommended on this site, I was looking at Escrow.com and noted they say they do not "protect," which I think means deal in, firearms. Anyone have insight or experience?

Good Afternoon Everyone, After seeing it recommended on this site, I was looking at Escrow.com and noted they say they do not "protect," which I think means deal in, firearms. Anyone have insight or experience?
Haven't looked at escrow.com thoroughly, but GunTabs is specifically an escrow service for gun sales. Very easy to set up and use. Can also be used for items not related to firearms.

Haven't looked at escrow.com thoroughly, but GunTabs is specifically an escrow service for gun sales. Very easy to set up and use. Can also be used for items not related to firearms.
I’ve used this service with great results. Highly recommend.

A question for my American friends here:

Payment through:
- Cheques: As a European this is not practical (and I have never even had cheques... antiquated technology :D )
- Paypal: as it is not gun friendly, many sellers refuse this.
- Zelle: is only in the US
- Venmo: is only in the US
- Direct bank transfer I could do, but it seems that many US citizens are less comfortable with this.

--> What other options are there, and what would the typical seller on AH most prefer to do?

Cheers,

V.

Payment through:
- Cheques: As a European this is not practical (and I have never even had cheques... antiquated technology :D )
- Direct bank transfer I could do, but it seems that many US citizens are less comfortable with this.

--> What other options are there, and what would the typical seller on AH most prefer to do?

Cheers,

V.
Personally I’d accept just about any of these options from most AH members. For a reputable Euro member I’d have no problem whatsoever with a wire transfer. I still do PayPal since it’s so easy :A Outta:

I made a payment to South Africa a few months back- I forget which service it was, but it seems it was one of those that you listed as available only in the US. I can check back and see which it was- the process was quite painless- I expect others familiar with it will chime in with the info that I have missed.

Payment through:

Cheers,

V.
If you can set up a wire transaction like I do for all my hunts my point of view is that works best

I’ve used this service with great results. Highly recommend.
Are there any members selling that would NOT be ok with this service? I’ve tried to use it once in the past and the seller said no way they are sending an item while the money is locked up. They wanted full payment up front. That’s a hell no from me but I feel like it limits your options. Any sellers not willing to use guntab? It seems like an amazing way to protect EVERYONE in a deal so it blows my mind why it’s not popular. 3% fee for gaurantee protection seems a no brainer. My background is corporate professional dealing with high dollar projects and money, the service is second nature to me but it seems not everyone shares that feeling.

I Thought the Post Office said "Money Orders can't Exceed $2000."

I Bought from an Individual using a Certified Check, USPS Express. Credible Distributer, nervous though, between the mail & UPS. Almost made a 32 hour round trip to do it in Person.

Good thread, Often Consider Selling.

I Bought from an Individual using a Certified Check, USPS Express. Credible Distributer, nervous though, between the mail & UPS. Almost made a 32 hour round trip to do it in Person.

I thought the local bank also didn't allow/offer "Cashier's Checks" .. just "Certified Checks"

You can get multiple money orders. I’d refuse to send a USPS money order as a buyer for any significant amount. It provides zero protections for me. I might as well send cash for all the more protections it gives me as a buyer. There is no verification received by seller.

Payment through:

Cheers,

V.
You could always send an envelope of cash too! It feels like US is behind the times with banking. Checks are still widely used. They are also free unlike wires. Seems like many on AH like PayPal Friends and Family but aren’t comfortable with zelle or Venmo even though it’s the same service. I can’t quite understand this. I’m not sure why anyone would object to receiving a direct bank transfer. However for me to send a domestic wire I think is $25 and an international wire $40-$70 depending on the bank I use. I think you could talk most into receiving a direct bank transfer if you wanted to buy something from someone in USA.

You could always send an envelope of cash too! It feels like US is behind the times with banking. Checks are still widely used. They are also free unlike wires. Seems like many on AH like PayPal Friends and Family but aren’t comfortable with zelle or Venmo even though it’s the same service. I can’t quite understand this. I’m not sure why anyone would object to receiving a direct bank transfer. However for me to send a domestic wire I think is $25 and an international wire $40-$70 depending on the bank I use. I think you could talk most into receiving a direct bank transfer if you wanted to buy something from someone in USA.
Thank you for the M.O. insight. .. I've sold items, received funds from Local p/u or Money Order before.
Assuming it depends on the individual's Bank, can a "Personal Check take Long to Clear"?

A Direct Bank Transfer sounds pretty clear, however, now that individual has your Direct Account Number .. idk?

Trust on Both ends is Pivotal.

Once again, is it okay to ship new or used Brass via USPS?

Or is it in the best interest to us UPS Ground for Everything.
The only things I ever sold, shipped were rare merch, posters, art, etc. Always used USPS "Priority". Tracking, insured, piece of mind... Costly, for the love of God.
Thank You.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross