Mauser vs Rigby

Norden-hunt

AH member
Reaction score
New Mauser m98 8x57 or New Rigby Highland Stalker .275 rigby

Which is a better buy? What do you think?

Well I suppose it depends on the price!

Tough one ! It depends I guess on what you intend to hunt - this will be the decider.
I just bought two 404 rifles because I couldn’t decide between the original Jeff or solid wall mauser...good luck!

The barreled actions are indeed from the same factory. Final stocking, fit, and finish are done at the respective houses. You will find both of equal quality and should make your choice based upon which final product appeals to you.

The 7x57 and 8x57 obviously offer somewhat different though overlapping performance envelopes.

I will add that I am very satisfied with my Highland Stalker in .275.

I assume you know that you can get the Rigby in 8x57 and the Mauser comes in 7x57 (.275) as well?

New mauser 98 DWM, in production. Retail price I could not find anywhere.

What is interesting, and unusual for hunting rifle, they are showing on video clip (1:09) loading with stripper clips.
Personally I never saw stripper clip loading on hunting rifle, and on anything out of usual military calibers. (9.3?)

Do you guys find this usefull at all? Maybe for DG close range situations?

Last edited:

What is interesting, and unusual for hunting rifle, they are showing on video clip (1:09) loading with stripper clips.
Personally I never saw stripper clip loading on hunting rifle, and on anything out of usual military calibers. (9.3?)

Looks like they decided to replicate the military 98 action identically to include the stripper clip and and thumb cut out. The problem with stripper clips is that they are lousy for topping off a magazine which is what is needed in the field 99% of the time - not a full magazine reload. Looks like they are simply trying to make a virtue of the old design. At least they had the good sense not to use the original flag safety.

The barreled actions are indeed from the same factory. Final stocking, fit, and finish are done at the respective houses. You will find both of equal quality and should make your choice based upon which final product appeals to you.

The 7x57 and 8x57 obviously offer somewhat different though overlapping performance envelopes.

I will add that I am very satisfied with my Highland Stalker in .275.

I assume you know that you can get the Rigby in 8x57 and the Mauser comes in 7x57 (.275) as well?
Yes, I know that, they are both owned by the same company. The ones I have seen from both rifles are that Stalker has a better woodwork. Stalker feels a little heavier. I know about the calibers and this is how I think, Rigby classic Rigby caliber .. 275 and Mauser classic German caliber 8x57 ..

Buy one of each . Life is too short not to have excellent rifles . If I were you , then I would purchase a 7x57 mm Mauser from John Rigby & Co. ( I would specify a long throat , in order to employ the heavier 175 grain bullets in said rifle ) and a 9.3x62 mm Mauser from Mauser Oberndorf .

The “new” DWM is not yet available for sale which is strange. It’s been present on Mauser’s web site for few years now, I’ve subscribed to updates regarding it on Mauser’s website at least two years ago but haven’t received any news thus far. I read somewhere that African calibers were not planned for it and that it would not be made in magnum length but this could well be hearsay.

Except that it doesn’t come in big bore calibers according to the marketing dude in the video...

I would imagine name recognition might have a bearing on choice.

I have the Mauser version in 7x57 and its a stellar shooter. Two things about it annoy me slightly and I dont know if the same exists with the Rigby, perhaps RedLeg can chime in.
The checkering is soooooooo fine that the tips are easily damaged and I have numerous flat spots especially on the forend, and I handle my guns carefully, especially one that costs $7500!

The other thing, and Professor Mawla might like to know this, is that the magazine is blocked so that max OAL for a round is only about 3.22". Thats adequate but having a long throat and a std length magazine wont allow long seating of heavier bullets except for single loading.

Aside from those two issues, the rifle is beautiful, extremely well made, has the original Mauser chamber that is not broached thru on the left side wall like most modern Mausers are, metal finish is very nicely done as are all markings. The wood is fantastic, I love the sights and barrel band front swivel and love the way it shoots. I am still experimenting with hand loads, but have shot more than a few sub half MOA groups with various bullets and powders.
One more thing of note. The LOP is longer than most American rifles have and most shooters are used to about 13.5", this rifle is over 14" LOP. It doesnt bother me as I have longish arms, even though I am not 6'9" and 300 pounds like some of our members, LOL. Only just 6' tall but with a 75" reach.

I use stripper clips for loading my MS model 1905 with 9x56 ms. But really I only use the stripper clips to keep the rounds from making noise in my pockets while still hunting. It definitely is faster than hand loading one at a time.

I use stripper clips for loading my MS model 1905 with 9x56 ms. But really I only use the stripper clips to keep the rounds from making noise in my pockets while still hunting. It definitely is faster than hand loading one at a time.
DWM is too expensive in my opinion, saw somewhere that it will be about 18000 euros. For the money, there are probably nicer rifles to buy.

I have the Mauser version in 7x57 and its a stellar shooter. Two things about it annoy me slightly and I dont know if the same exists with the Rigby, perhaps RedLeg can chime in.
The checkering is soooooooo fine that the tips are easily damaged and I have numerous flat spots especially on the forend, and I handle my guns carefully, especially one that costs $7500!

The other thing, and Professor Mawla might like to know this, is that the magazine is blocked so that max OAL for a round is only about 3.22". Thats adequate but having a long throat and a std length magazine wont allow long seating of heavier bullets except for single loading.

Aside from those two issues, the rifle is beautiful, extremely well made, has the original Mauser chamber that is not broached thru on the left side wall like most modern Mausers are, metal finish is very nicely done as are all markings. The wood is fantastic, I love the sights and barrel band front swivel and love the way it shoots. I am still experimenting with hand loads, but have shot more than a few sub half MOA groups with various bullets and powders.
One more thing of note. The LOP is longer than most American rifles have and most shooters are used to about 13.5", this rifle is over 14" LOP. It doesnt bother me as I have longish arms, even though I am not 6'9" and 300 pounds like some of our members, LOL. Only just 6' tall but with a 75" reach.
Thank you very much sir for your review of what you think of the Mauser m98. A little sad to hear about the checkering on your rifle. It should last for several decades, I think. What kind of binocular assembly do you have, that is another problem I have encountered due to the high control handle ...

I am using high Leupold rings on Leupold two piece bases. Scope is a Meo 3-9x40. It works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg