Mark Sullivan Video Death At My Feet - Reviewed and Ethics Evaluated

Very interesting discussion. Rookhawk, thanks for the post and analysis. I had heard of the Sullivan controversy, but none of the specifics. Doesn't sound like a guy I want to hunt with.

One thing I'll point out though: Using the term "Death" in association with African hunting does indeed seem to sell. Capstick figured that out.

upload_2016-5-1_7-28-0.png

since 2012 not more ( in Tanzania), Witold.
In his books he wrote a .470 NE is a typical ladygun.
Good enough for squirrels.........

He thinks, he is the one and only and African hunter was waiting on him.
Foxi

retired with his $

And what he is doing in this regard an Association of Professional Hunters and SCI?
Witold

SCI and I also think DSC kicked him out. In regards to at least SCI, there is a certain amount of controversy on how his removal was handled.

guilty or not,i will continue to do what i know is wright,try to kill with my first shot.if i fail ill do everything to get the job done as fast as i can.no animal comes into this world wanting to be killed.and as my ego is not sensitive,i fully expect the p h to use his double for what it was made for and not just something to carry over his shoulder.its a team effort.if this guy is prolonging death for sensationalism i hope the next video is about him getting his come up pence in a super slow and painful manner.oh, and sensational as well.

Rooihawk, that is an excellent and detailed analysis. I can't disagree with anything you've said. Based on what I've seen in his films, I would have just gone with the simpler "he's a jackass".

He says he doesn't intentionally provoke charges. If that is the case, he has to be the single most unlucky SOB to ever walk the face of the earth. He gets more charges in one video than most PH's get in a lifetime. I would never deny that he is damn good with his double and could well be the best charge-stopper in the world. But one needs to ask how it is that he got so good and the only reasonable answer is "practice".

Ok, I wrote three different posts, and deleted each one.

Mom's been gone 13 years, but I still remember what she said.

Rookhawk, thanks for reminding me why I want to hunt buffalo with a Professional and not an entertainer/egotist.

I am not certain which of his videos that I viewed several years ago, but I was certain that he was provoking charges by not allowing clients to take clear follow-up shots. I have no problem with Bert's assessment!

What stimulated me to watch Mr. Sullivan's DVD in the first place was actually another piece of his content in which I'll be less "just the facts" and a bit more "editorializing". In some areas there are different strokes for different folks (like hunting methods), but in other areas there is just a "right way" and a "wrong way". (like proper gun fit, safety, best practice, design, etc.)

To put it perhaps more properly, he is espousing information as though it is textbook orthodoxy when most of what he states is unorthodox and of his own philosophy running absolutely contrary to 140 years of best practice with double rifles. I would have been much more lenient in my critique had he started by saying "All the experts are wrong and this is MY WAY of handling double rifles" but instead he preaches with the appearance of espousing orthodoxy when its his own concoctions. My comments on that topic are after the video found here: http://www.africahunting.com/media/...e-by-professional-hunter-mark-sullivan.40984/ Apologies if my critique at the link comes off as harsh. Bad gun safety and passing on dangerous misinformation really torques me. (personal bias/flaw, I don't like bad gun handling espoused as good gun handling)

Last edited:
@rookhawk , Mark is really controversial, but I will agree with you his gun safety is terrible.

Just found something really interesting here at 5 mins 50 seconds:

http://www.africahunting.com/media/...e-by-professional-hunter-mark-sullivan.40984/

Mr. Sullivan provides testimony that runs absolutely contrary to what he says in his other videos. He says to the effect "make no mistake, there is no accident that the animals charge me. I'm out there to pick a fight.". That would be 180 degree reversal of his emphatic animal rights claim in his videos that the dangerous game animals deserve to have a choice in how they die.

http://www.africahunting.com/media/...e-by-professional-hunter-mark-sullivan.40984/

Mr. Sullivan provides testimony that runs absolutely contrary to what he says in his other videos. He says to the effect "make no mistake, there is no accident that the animals charge me. I'm out there to pick a fight.". That would be 180 degree reversal of his emphatic animal rights claim in his videos that the dangerous game animals deserve to have a choice in how they die.

If he picks that fight simply by being in the animal's presence, and just as importantly his clients understand this is his intent to pick a fight, then I have no problem with that at all. His and their choice.

But if picking that fight entails intentionally shooting to inflict a non-fatal wound.......well I guess I've already had my say on that.

I would be interested to know if any of the PH's here experience as many charges as MS, not that we know how many MS has but certainly he has an abundance to be able to make so many videos.

This video was less tedious to watch with the sound set on "mute".

Nonetheless, I could not bear to endure it in its entirety so, I jumped it ahead several times.

That being said, during the 75% or so of it that I did watch, "Mr. Fabulous" pointed that .577 Double at his camera crew, recklessly 3 times, at the minute and seconds segments locations in the film, found by scrolling ahead to + 11:40, 13:46 and 19:32.

And if that's not alarming enough, he actually aimed it at them intentionally, at the minute and seconds segments of + 17:20 and 19:32.

I know he is the world's smartest man, plus the only mere mortal to ever have a double rifle built to fit his requests/measurements, and all that stuff that surely must inspire us to fall at his feet, wailing loudly - "We're not worthy! We're not worthy"!

But, if I had ever caught my sons doing that rubbish, I would have made them a neck tie out of their firearm.

Last edited:
I met him last year in Salt Lake. Nice, genuine guy. Big ego.

Here are a few points...Devils advocate although I'm not saying I'm on board with all he does.

I do not like how he hunts buffs, but he has a valid point. Everyone saying he is allowing the animal to suffer usually waits 30 minutes before tracking. I'd say if the animal is wounded, it suffers less time with Mark. There is no way to prove he intentionally wounds them. Period.

I like how he hunts hippo. They aren't wounded. He only likes to do it on land and violate their space and see what they do. They will charge or run and he has his clients shoot when they run off as much as charging. I personally wouldn't kick dirt in one's face like I've seen him do, but I'd hunt hippo that way if I had the chance.

From the PHs I've spoken to I've gathered these themes:
1. He is crazy.
2. He is amazing with a double.
3. "You will notice he never f#$&s with elephants, lions, or leopards."

When I met him I was months away from an ele/buff hunt in Zim. He did the whole "only use a double" lecture. I told him I was on an educator's budget and could either buy a double and hunt deer with it or buy a bolt and hunt dangerous game. He understood, but he is used to dealing with really well off guys who can afford Tanzania.

Anyway, I invited him to hunt mountain lions over my hounds and he seemed very interested but I haven't heard from him. I'm sure it would be entertaining...

If he picks that fight simply by being in the animal's presence, and just as importantly his clients understand this is his intent to pick a fight, then I have no problem with that at all. His and their choice.

But if picking that fight entails intentionally shooting to inflict a non-fatal wound.......well I guess I've already had my say on that.

When he was asked about intentionally wounding an animal in order to induce a charge, Sullivan had this to say:

"It is not necessary to do this. Clients are more than capable of wounding them without me telling them to do so. If I offered one million dollars to a client to put his bullet into the shoulder of a buffalo I could go for many seasons and over a hundred buffalo before I would have to pay out. Yet, all you hear about is how well clients shoot. Nonsense. Many of my clients can't shoot This is due to the excitement of Africa, lack of practice, or inexperience with a heavy rifle."
If you look at the number of years he's been hunting, and the number of clients he has in a year, my guess is that his clients could kill the buffalo with one shot 75% of the time, and he'd still have enough wounded buffalo to make his videos, without intentionally wounding any. Most PHs will let a wounded buffalo settle down before they go in after it. Most PHs will tell the client to shoot as soon as they see the wounded buffalo. Sullivan won't do either. That's how he gets the charges - many, if not most, wounded buffalo will charge if you get in their face, and wait, or slowly approach, as he does.

When he was asked about intentionally wounding an animal in order to induce a charge, Sullivan had this to say:

"It is not necessary to do this. Clients are more than capable of wounding them without me telling them to do so. If I offered one million dollars to a client to put his bullet into the shoulder of a buffalo I could go for many seasons and over a hundred buffalo before I would have to pay out. Yet, all you hear about is how well clients shoot. Nonsense. Many of my clients can't shoot This is due to the excitement of Africa, lack of practice, or inexperience with a heavy rifle."
If you look at the number of years he's been hunting, and the number of clients he has in a year, my guess is that his clients could kill the buffalo with one shot 75% of the time, and he'd still have enough wounded buffalo to make his videos, without intentionally wounding any. Most PHs will let a wounded buffalo settle down before they go in after it. Most PHs will tell the client to shoot as soon as they see the wounded buffalo. Sullivan won't do either. That's how he gets the charges - many, if not most, wounded buffalo will charge if you get in their face, and wait, or slowly approach, as he does.

Perhaps so. I'll say again, I'm not making the accusation, don't have the grounds to do so. But I've heard it on many more than one occasion. What I'm quite certain is the quote you posted tells me all I need to know to not go hunting with him. His quote may in fact be accurate, but to say it loud?

Perhaps so. I'll say again, I'm not making the accusation, don't have the grounds to do so. But I've heard it on many more than one occasion. What I'm quite certain is the quote you posted tells me all I need to know to not go hunting with him. His quote may in fact be accurate, but to say it loud?
It sort of sounds like me on my first hunt. I went Buffalo hunting when the biggest thing I'd shot to that point was a coyote! I have learned a great deal over the years, and thankfully don't spend a lot of time thinking about that first hunt . . . Other than as the beginning of something great.

But I have to agree with you - saying it out loud tells you a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg