Lynx Rifle Scopes

Marc Ret

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing members thoughts on them. Quality, durability, etc. Japanese made and marketed in SA is about the extent of my knowledge.

I have a 3-9x40 (LX2, I believe) sitting in the safe and am trying to decide whether to keep it or move it on. Presently in a cleaning out frame of mind but unsure if I want to hold on to this. Glass seems comparable to Leupold VX1/VX2 to my eye.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.14.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.14.23 AM.png
    728 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.14.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.14.26 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
I have two Lynx scopes - one is an older one. They havn't had a hard life - but I've had no issues. I think they represent very good value.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.18.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.18.35 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
These scopes?!?

Red Leg, I don't know what, if any, connection the scopes you linked have with the one I'm asking about. Perhaps newer iterations? No country of origin listed for those makes me suspect they're coming out of China? The one I have is clearly marked Japan.

The attached pic is a stock photo of the one I'm talking about.
lynx_lx2_3-9x40_mm_rifle_scope_plex_.jpg

I'd be interested in hearing members thoughts on them. Quality, durability, etc. Japanese made and marketed in SA is about the extent of my knowledge.

I have a 3-9x40 (LX2, I believe) sitting in the safe and am trying to decide whether to keep it or move it on. Presently in a cleaning out frame of mind but unsure if I want to hold on to this. Glass seems comparable to Leupold VX1/VX2 to my eye.
@Marc Ret
Lynx optics have a food name in Australia but they are not very common here. They do make a good fixed 4x and 6x that can be mounted nice and low.
Sorry I can't be more hep
Bob

The PH/owner for Game 4 Africa Safaris has one on his .416 Rigby he used for back up on buffalo hunts. I noticed it during a stalk on one a few weeks ago (I can be easily distracted). I asked him, and from that two things:

When I asked if he liked it, I got a "Meh" for an answer. So there is that.

But, looking at photos from 2021, I am pretty sure it's the same scope, so it clearly hasn't failed.

If you're curious to know more, I am sure he could give you an experienced opinion.

If this is the scope line in question, I personally would have no interest in using one on the back patio .22 much less depending on it for an expensive hunt. I am extremely leery of any optic in this price range. It is likely to have plastic lenses. Just a bit more of savings and one can have a basic Leupold with a real track record of performance.

If this is the scope line in question, I personally would have no interest in using one on the back patio .22 much less depending on it for an expensive hunt. I am extremely leery of any optic in this price range. It is likely to have plastic lenses. Just a bit more of savings and one can have a basic Leupold with a real track record of performance.
I concur, I would go with the lower end Leupold scopes before I spent money on these. The one I used worked well but I definitely wouldn't trust it for the hunt of a lifetime.

It seems like the the model of these scopes are lynx and valiant is the manufacturer?

The two 3-9x 40’s don’t match if you look at the pictures

View attachment 542694View attachment 542695

Looking over Lynx's website, I'd say you're correct, Aaron. It doesn't appear there is any affiliation between the Valiants Red Leg linked and the actual Lynx brand. One for sale in SA-

The one I have came from a South African friend who lives here in PA. He seemed to think well enough of them but had upgraded to a Swaro and had no need for it. I bought it off him to put on an inexpensive .22 but changed my mind and swapped it out for a smaller scope I had laying around.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.19.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.19.22 AM.png
    533.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.19.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 9.19.24 AM.png
    331.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The Lynx scopes marketed in South Africa is, as I understand it, made by Sightron (I stand to be corrected). When I still lived in South Africa, I owned two of them at different times and they never gave me trouble. They are made to a certain price point, though, so don't expect German or Austrian quality at a third of the price of German or Austrian optics. If you talk to enough South African hunters and shooters, you are likely to hear various opinions on Lynx products, ranging from good to "Avoid at all cost!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudraQ7266

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you