Looking for good checked bag for safari travels

I switched to pelican air as well. It’s the best option in my opinion. Waterproof, bug proof durable and lockable - I have taken mine all over the states and a few counties on multiple hunts, still holding strong

It doesn't matter if it is hard sided or soft sided, if they are going to get into it they will get into it. Plus if it is hard sided where only you have the key to the lock it may miss your trip out of OR Tambo one way or another.
Hard sided with case hardened locks makes it more of a deliberate attempt than a soft side case that can be a target of opportunity. Also, why would it miss the trip out? If there is a security issue the bag has my contact info not to mention the airline can be notified to contact me.

Starting this year, I am also including an Apple air tag in each checked case.

Finally, the fact that they can do it if they really want to do it does not mean I should make it easy on them.

I love Red Oxx. However, they are not waterproof. I do use their big duffels for car trips and the smaller Safari Benos PR5 is my go to carry on that has been all over the world with me.

At Amanzi lodge last year there were 4 hunters hunting at various CMS camps last year. As we were waiting for transportation to take us to the charter plane, I noticed that all of us had one or more Red Oxx duffels.

So, definitely a good product favored by many.

Hard sided with case hardened locks makes it more of a deliberate attempt than a soft side case that can be a target of opportunity. Also, why would it miss the trip out? If there is a security issue the bag has my contact info not to mention the airline can be notified to contact me.

Starting this year, I am also including an Apple air tag in each checked case.

Finally, the fact that they can do it if they really want to do it does not mean I should make it easy on them.

Hi @Tanks, I’ve been thinking of adding air tags as well to my luggage. Do you or anyone else know whether they also work when inside an aluminium gun case?

Cheers!

V.

I have air tags on all luggage. Inside the aluminum case, range becomes limited.
Would a plastic case limit the range? For instance a Pelican Protector 1700?

No, in fact Pelican makes a holder for this. The aluminum tends to behave like a faraday cage. Also note that to track your bags, it has to be near anyone with an Apple or other approved tracking system. In the US this works well. As you get into the bush, it's harder. It is fun to watch your bags travel to the plan and later to baggage claim

If it would work at least a little bit, even when in a aluminium Americase, I would really consider this. Apple devices are (iPhones) are so prevalent in airports, that it would always help to give a bit of comfort.

Then again, if at take off you see your bag in another plane… that’s 12hrs of fretting right there…

Yep but with on board wifi you can work wonders during the flight. Better to know than to not know

Check out the Sitka Gear Rambler (small) and Nomad (larger). I travel 75+ days a year for work and recreation and they've been excellent. Understated, yet first-class luggage from a company that supports hunting/shooting. Really tough waterproof materials, though they're not submersible. I like the Pelicans also, but they can be tough to squeeze into some vehicles when space is tight and some folks worry about them denting/damaging finer vehicles (in non-safari travel scenarios) if they shift around in a trunk/frunk.

I get a week+ of clothes/gear into the smaller Rambler when I know laundry will be done in camp. Really good kit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 9.20.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 9.20.00 AM.png
    831.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 9.20.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 9.20.06 AM.png
    653.5 KB · Views: 74
For those who have hunted in South Africa recently, does the JNB airport still require luggage have at least one flat side? Meaning no traditional round duffle bags?

I didn't have any issues 2 weeks ago with my Pelican rifle case and Sitka luggage. Didn't see or hear anything about duffle bags/flat side at either Delta or AirLink airlines.

Any recommendations on some good checked bag luggage that can meet these criteria?

Main Criteria:
1 - Durable, want this to last for many trips over next 10-15 years.
2 - Must be within airline size limits, adding up all LxWxD must be 62" or under
3 - Must be waterproof itself or have a easily packable rain cover for it
4 - Prefer it to have wheels
5- Looking for more soft sided, not after a 4 wheel spinner hard case

I had a duffel that worked great in most ways on the last trip. Its already showing a bunch of wear after LHR & JNB baggage handling so not sure if it has more than 2 more trips in it before coming apart. I also regretted it not having any sort of rain cover or waterproof exterior when our drive back to PLZ was in the rain with all luggage in back of pickup.

Looked at something like the Eberlestock Hercules though it's too big at 76" all up. Their Atlas is just within size limits but looking for other options to consider as well.
Seconding Tango with his Sitka suggestion. I've got Sitka Drifter(I'm pretty sure it's smaller than both Rambler and Nomad, but hey, I've got backpack for bigger stuff).I've got it specifically while shopping for survival gear at https://gritroutdoors.com/outdoor-survival/ and I'm pretty much exclusive using it for said gear, but it should be really close to what you looking for! I think the only thing it lacks are wheels, but since it's not a huge bag - should be fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 2.20.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 2.20.56 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 2.20.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 2.20.57 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Main Criteria:
1 - Durable, want this to last for many trips over next 10-15 years.
Check, mine are 20 years old
2 - Must be within airline size limits, adding up all LxWxD must be 62" or under
Check
3 - Must be waterproof itself or have a easily packable rain cover for it
Check, they even float and completely water sealed.
4 - Prefer it to have wheels
Check
5- Looking for more soft sided, not after a 4 wheel spinner hard case
You will never want a soft case when you can use one as a chair in a busy airport :)

I am a HUGE fan of the Pelican cases, I have had mine for many many years and they have traveled around the world and to Africa 50 plus times. Even though I simply use them as luggage they get the special treatment and always hand delivered to me as most baggage handlers assume their is equipment in them. They are super tough, I mean indestructible!

I always get questions about them and I can name at least 20 people who have bought them after joining me on safari and seeing how indestructible they are. They make handy seats as well when nothing is available at those busy airports ,,

The only downfall is their empty weight of 15 pounds without the interior bracing. However Pelican now makes an airport travel case specifically for flying that is lighter.

Oh, One more thing, I have glued into the cases Airtags and can track them anywhere I go, they were lost in healthrow in June of this year and I was able to tell the airport person exactly where they were.

bag1.jpg
bag2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Pelican Air 1615 Travel Case - Suitcase Luggage (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XGHDK66/

On the Pelican 1615 - do you spring for the higher cost "Travel Case" with
zippered lid divider and packing cubes (plus built in TSA locks) - or the Plain Jane empty box?

I go for the empty box. You can get a set of cubes dirt cheap and an empty box gives you more flexibility.

Badlands TerraGlide, if you can find one.

Oh, One more thing, I have glued into the cases Airtags and can track them anywhere I go, they were lost in healthrow in June of this year and I was able to tell the airport person exactly where they were.
Yep, it is a great peace of mind to know your luggage is nearby. I have them in my gun case and Pelican Air 1615.

1669672541525.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheAngloPrussian

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.