Looking for a solid bullet for my .458 Lott

DAVE LANGERMAN Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2025
AH veteran
Joined
Mar 17, 2017
Messages
119
Reaction score
386
Location
Zimbabwe / Mozambique
Website
www.davelangermansafaris.com
Media
9
Member of
APHA, ZPGA
I am a professional hunter in Zimbabwe and Mozambique, and the Woodleigh round nosed solid and the Swift A frame have been my bullets of choice for years (I have also recently started using North Forks, pretty stoked with them too) However, as most of us know, the Woodleigh factory is now unfortunately no more. My question to you aficionados is this - what "PH carry" round is a suitable plan B until (if ever?) Woodleigh is back up and running? Currently I am running 500 grainers in my 458 Lott. in a CZ 550 (my CZ 550 does not like flat nosed meplats - and whilst we are at it, someone explain that to me!)
 
If you're reloading, the peregrine brass solids are fantastic, but they're rather flat nosed.
 
Trophy bonded Sledgehammers have a smaller flat meplat s then others. I have been using them since the 90s in two different Lotts with no feed issues. One is a Brno 602.
Federal did get into some fragmentation issues for awhile but I understand it has been addressed. They are lead core so makes for a shorter bullet that does not cause excessive powder compression.
 
Trophy bonded Sledgehammers have a smaller flat meplat s then others. I have been using them since the 90s in two different Lotts with no feed issues. One is a Brno 602.
Federal did get into some fragmentation issues for awhile but I understand it has been addressed. They are lead core so makes for a shorter bullet that does not cause excessive powder compression.
Yes that Sledge hammer is a marvelous bullet as well!
 
The hornaday DGS has a similar round nose with a very small meplat.
I hope that the woodleigh factory can be rebuilt by someone and get back to producing good bullets.
 
...my CZ 550 does not like flat nosed meplats - and whilst we are at it, someone explain that to me!...
It is due to hitting the ramp. My gunsmith always makes sure the CEB solids feed in my rifles. It sometimes takes a bit of work.
 
I am a professional hunter in Zimbabwe and Mozambique, and the Woodleigh round nosed solid and the Swift A frame have been my bullets of choice for years (I have also recently started using North Forks, pretty stoked with them too) However, as most of us know, the Woodleigh factory is now unfortunately no more. My question to you aficionados is this - what "PH carry" round is a suitable plan B until (if ever?) Woodleigh is back up and running? Currently I am running 500 grainers in my 458 Lott. in a CZ 550 (my CZ 550 does not like flat nosed meplats - and whilst we are at it, someone explain that to me!)

the Woodleigh factory is being rebuilt the last I heard and .458s will be ones they focus on when up and running.

As far as flat-nosed bullets, yeah, typically a feed ramp issue, but takes a knowledgeable person to make it right. Not uncommon.
 
You can use Barnes Banded 500 Gr round nosed monolithic solids. Your CZ550 will need to have some filing work done to the feeding ramp, by a competent gunsmith.
 
Impala bullets solid brass bullets and they are cheap and always available.

http://impalabullets.co.za/Pages/Products.asp?PID=179901&P=.458 Cal 475gr RNFP

They feed very easily in my CZ 550 and Musgrave rifles they have nice cutting shoulders that punches nice clean holes for good blood flow.

475gr Impala mono solid compared to a 500gr Woodleigh protected point.

458 Impala 1.jpg

458 Impala.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.34.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.34.05 AM.png
    632.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.34.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.34.07 AM.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 201
I am a professional hunter in Zimbabwe and Mozambique, and the Woodleigh round nosed solid and the Swift A frame have been my bullets of choice for years (I have also recently started using North Forks, pretty stoked with them too) However, as most of us know, the Woodleigh factory is now unfortunately no more. My question to you aficionados is this - what "PH carry" round is a suitable plan B until (if ever?) Woodleigh is back up and running? Currently I am running 500 grainers in my 458 Lott. in a CZ 550 (my CZ 550 does not like flat nosed meplats - and whilst we are at it, someone explain that to me!)
Hi Dave,
Give the Peregrine VRG2 (515gr) & VRG3 (500gr) a try, they have performed superbly in my Lott.
 
Frederik,
Thanks for the pix.
The nose of the Woodie reminds me of the nose of the .458 300 grain Nosler PP that I shoot on thin skinned game.
I have been very pleased with the performance of brass solids in my Winchester1895 .405 and 1886 .45-90.
 
Rhino solids and controlled expansion softs best bullets I have ever used on DG.....
 
For my two cents, we have had very good luck with the Barnes 500 gr. .458 TSX. In most cases with no or almost no weight loss. Even down to the 300 gr .375 Same performance. Great success to you. Patrick
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,913
Members
169,639
Latest member
AlbaAlber
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top