Looking for .375 for Dangerous Game... Do They Exist?

I want controlled round feed, and I want a military action. I want the rifle to keep feeding ammo even if I feel like the red army is closing in on me. I want all the parts to be designed for a shooter who didn't want to be there, and didn't want to take up permanent residence there. I want a bolt stop that can stop a run away train...
If you want military, then you want a Mauser- or Enfield-based rifle. Not cheap. Mark X or Whitworth will be close and least expensive, built on commercial yugo mauser actions. Here is an jnterarms, a bit fancy for my taste https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921499915

A remington 721 would be nice.

Here is a remington on a yugo commercial mauser action, https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918925091

Still, a CRF winchester is tough to beat, even if not actually military actions. So are the CZ's, which are based on the Mauser action.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.21.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.21.46 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.21.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.21.48 AM.png
    766.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.21.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.21.50 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.22.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.22.00 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.22.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.22.02 AM.png
    796.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.22.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.22.03 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
You should be able to find a couple M70 Pre-64’s in 375H&H. Reach out to Justin @ Pre64.com.

I don't know how I got the quote thing going here, and less idea how to remove it. My technological ineptitude is the stuff of legend.
I had my business rifle (early stainless Ruger MkII in .338) cut to 20" and had the bottom of the bolt face milled for CRF ( they didn't use to come that way). Also had it bead blasted to dull gray. This was my rifle for accompanying pilgrims through the brush after black and brown bears.
I liked the balance just fine, the length better, and nothing I ever shot with it complained about the missing 4" of barrel.

Far to much emphasis is put on CRF. Sure, it's great, but there are many reliable rifles made that are not CRF. So I wouldn't let that sway you too much. I personally don't like the Remington 700 extractor, as it's very miniscule.(Although it seems to work for the most part.) But the Sako and M16 style extractors are perfectly fine. The R8 is also not CRF, and I never hear of any issues with it. Sure, the push feed is more prone to double feeding if you short stroke the bolt, but I doubt it happens often enough to really be a concern.
The Sako extraction might work really well but how's the ejection @TOBY458 ? haha sorry mate couldn't help myself, I've got a chip on my shoulder about the Sako 85 action and I know you can relate.

i thought the Kimber Caprive had it all, good looking rifle, decent price, the 'correct' DG package.
I've got one in 458 Lott, best rifle I have ever owned, my Caprivi does more work in the field each year than all my other rifles combined. I got in contact with Kimber importer in Australia to try and buy another one in 375 as they have discontinued the 458 and 416 chamberings now and their response was Kimber have suspended all export sales at the moment as they cannot keep up with domestic demand, due to this we are unable to provide a lead time.
So I have given up on another Caprivi for now, maybe one day I'll get a second one.

i thought the Kimber Caprive had it all, good looking rifle, decent price, the 'correct' DG package.
Kimber also made the Talkeetna in 375 but it was stainless and synthetic instead of the fine wood found on the Caprivi. I know recently the prices on the Talkeetna have gone up, up and away...but they can still be found under the $5K budget the OP asked for.

The Blaser R8 puts the magazine on top of the trigger group. This shortens the overall rifle by almost 4 inches. So you can have your 25" barrel (and the velocity that comes with it) and a rifle that carries like a 21" barrel to make it handy. Of course this all comes at a price...but it's still under your $5K requirement.
Very good point.

Why not buy a Model 70 (pre-'64 or new Classic Safari Express)? You can find them at about $2000 to $2500 and they are good rifles.

My thread title is tongue & cheek, but the search for a appropriate .375 is like looking for a unicorn!

I have been been looking for 2 months for a large bore for a Cape Buffalo hunt. What I have learned here so far is ...
  • Good cartridge choices would be .375 H&H and .375 Ruger.
  • Barrel length between 23"-25" seems to be recommended for additional compression & velocity.
  • Action with CRF much more reliable.
Have been looking for Ruger Hawkeye African, Winchester Model 70 Safari, & CZ Safari express. Have also just started looking at the Kimber Kimber Caprivi .375 H&H Mag. They just don't seem to exist. Some questions....
  • What other gun manufacturers should I consider in the under $5k range?
  • Have looked at a number of .375 rifles with 20" barrel. Can this be considered for DG such as Cape Buffalo?
  • What else should I be looking for in design, caliber, etc?
Open to suggestions on what options there are for finding a quality DG level rifle. Thanks in advance.
As a south paw, I had very limited options. I am a fan of Ruger, but I am a bigger fan of tried and true rounds that have been around a long time. For me, the choice was a .375 H&H, even though I personally know many people with wonderful things to say of the Ruger round.

Through fate, divine intervention, or whatever you may call it, I came across a left hand Zastava bolt action in .375 H&H. This is essentially a 98 Mauser with a sliding safety, as opposed to the flag. Certainly will not win any beauty contests, but I am satisfied with it.

One thing that I will mention...the front iron sight left much to be desired. As such, I had it replaced. I would have done this myself, BUT it is a European (aka Metric) dovetail, not the "over here" standard of 3/8". I could not source a front sight of suitable height with this metric measurment, nor anywhere near to it. I had to have a gunsmith mill out the slot to 3/8", and went from there.

Although I traded a pistol for it (FNX Tactical), my all-in (base cost of rifle, gunsmith work, XS front sight, Tally bases, QD rings, and peep, upper-mid range Leopold, and sling) cost came in significantly less than the $5,000 mark. With that budget, you could also have the stock slimmed out and cut to your diminsions, hand checkered, and perhaps even have the action slicked up (although I did the latter myself).

My thread title is tongue & cheek, but the search for a appropriate .375 is like looking for a unicorn!

I have been been looking for 2 months for a large bore for a Cape Buffalo hunt. What I have learned here so far is ...
  • Good cartridge choices would be .375 H&H and .375 Ruger.
  • Barrel length between 23"-25" seems to be recommended for additional compression & velocity.
  • Action with CRF much more reliable.
Have been looking for Ruger Hawkeye African, Winchester Model 70 Safari, & CZ Safari express. Have also just started looking at the Kimber Kimber Caprivi .375 H&H Mag. They just don't seem to exist. Some questions....
  • What other gun manufacturers should I consider in the under $5k range?
  • Have looked at a number of .375 rifles with 20" barrel. Can this be considered for DG such as Cape Buffalo?
  • What else should I be looking for in design, caliber, etc?
Open to suggestions on what options there are for finding a quality DG level rifle. Thanks in advance.
for whatever it's worth if you can handle more recoil than some larger calibers have more readily available ammo right now.

Far to much emphasis is put on CRF. Sure, it's great, but there are many reliable rifles made that are not CRF. So I wouldn't let that sway you too much. I personally don't like the Remington 700 extractor, as it's very miniscule.(Although it seems to work for the most part.) But the Sako and M16 style extractors are perfectly fine. The R8 is also not CRF, and I never hear of any issues with it. Sure, the push feed is more prone to double feeding if you short stroke the bolt, but I doubt it happens often enough to really be a concern.
This ^^^

I agree as well. I am a huge fan of the ‘98 and the Model 70, but there are many reliable
Non CRF actions out there. I personally don’t like the Remington 700 and it’s derivatives for a DG rifle, the previous comment on 700 extractors is spot on.

I prowled Gunbroker for months waiting on a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H. I finally gave up and bid on a couple of Model 70s with nice wood and finally won a bid on a great Ruger Safari Magnum. I started getting it ready for my October trip to Namibia and I'll be durned if my hunting buddy didn't come up with a beautiful Kimber Caprivi a week after my Ruger arrived. I tried to make him feel guilty about buying the gun I had looked for almost a year to find. However neither of us felt too bad as both rifles went to Namibia and we had a great hunt. They are out there, but not everywhere you look.
IMG_5394[1].JPG

I've got one in 458 Lott, best rifle I have ever owned, my Caprivi does more work in the field each year than all my other rifles combined. I got in contact with Kimber importer in Australia to try and buy another one in 375 as they have discontinued the 458 and 416 chamberings now and their response was Kimber have suspended all export sales at the moment as they cannot keep up with domestic demand, due to this we are unable to provide a lead time.
So I have given up on another Caprivi for now, maybe one day I'll get a second one.
My local gun shop is where I bought my Kimber 8400 many years ago. I went to him to help track down a 375 Caprivi and he snorted, then laughed. He said Kimber won't give him a date on any rifles and very few pistols and he is a large Kimber dealer here in the States. They are struggling to get any new guns out it appears.

I called Winchester and Ruger last week and neither company could give me a date when they will make another production run on their Safari rifles.

I prowled Gunbroker for months waiting on a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H. I finally gave up and bid on a couple of Model 70s with nice wood and finally won a bid on a great Ruger Safari Magnum. I started getting it ready for my October trip to Namibia and I'll be durned if my hunting buddy didn't come up with a beautiful Kimber Caprivi a week after my Ruger arrived. I tried to make him feel guilty about buying the gun I had looked for almost a year to find. However neither of us felt too bad as both rifles went to Namibia and we had a great hunt. They are out there, but not everywhere you look.
View attachment 447733
Aint nothing wrong with a RSM! I love mine, built like a tank, will definitely last a lifetime or 2 those rifles.

Aint nothing wrong with a RSM! I love mine, built like a tank, will definitely last a lifetime or 2 those rifles.
Yes sir. I love the rifle and the more I shoot it the more I love it. I took my Eland, Mt Zebra, and Springbok with it on my last trip. It is a good looking rifle and shoots great. And affordable enough to add some animals to my hunt list!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross