Long trousers?

Thanks. That would be enough for a hunt trip.

Probably even better than that, @Kevin Peacocke . That's 8 machine washings, whereas in the bush your crew will only hand wash them to the amount needed to remove soiling. I wager one treatment gets you through 10 wearings which is enough for 21 days in the bush with two pairs.

It really depends on the area you are going. The coastal areas where it never freezes they can be extremely bad. In the Karoo where it gets hard freezes you won’t see a tick. You’ll have to ask outfitter about area.

On my first safari our outfitter took us down on the coast west of Port Elisabeth and told us to douse ourselves with bug spray because of the ticks. Two of us went the first day and had zero problems with ticks, we had soaked our clothing in Permithin. The next day the other hunter and his wife went down to the same area. They used some bug juice but when they got back to the lodge they both found hundreds of those little pesky pepper ticks around the belt line of their clothes. They didn't use any Permithin. That little excursion made me a believer in Permithin.

On another outing where I was hunting kudu we took a long hike and then came back to a nice opening where we could sit and watch. There was a rock in front of me that I kicked over with my boots and as I sat there I noticed ants all over both of my boots, but they didn't go any further than the top of my boots. I had Permithin on my socks and pants which stopped them cold.

This was from the middle of May to the end of May.
Thank you both for the responses. I appreciate it

I love shorts in the bush.
I would collaps in an overall.

I always used Nobite clothing (2% Permethrin)
and sometimes Nobite skin (50% DEET)
But I had better experinces with Nobite clothing on my skin.
For the 10 days of Africa hunting, my body will probably endure without damage (hope so:unsure:
50% Deet straight on your skin?

Sounds good I had a clients Deet remove coatings off of binos, rifles and paint off of the truck frame.....maybe it was more than 50%.....

Sounds good I had a clients Deet remove coatings off of binos, rifles and paint off of the truck frame.....maybe it was more than 50%.....
You can buy 95% in the UK. Your hand passes straight through a carrier bag.

Is this permithrin a spray, or do you dip your clothes?
This is a spray I use on my clothes. .5% permethrin. You do NOT soak your clothes in it ! Spray it on the outer surfaces, leave it to dry and it lasts at least 5-6 washes. Keeps ticks off anyway.

BBF9C02A-F8C1-439F-A686-87F7307779C8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear both, after a run in with pepper ticks in 2015 I have used the permethrin on the clothes. and the one thing that I have also done in high tick areas is use my dogs tick and flea shampoo on myself while in high tick areas.

@BourbonTrail the one thing about hiking and hunting here in AZ it prepares us for most any plant that can stick you.
The use of your dogs shampoo doesn’t cause you to bark, sniff lampposts or sit on the sidewalk licking your whatever ?

I have switched back and forth between wearing long trousers or shorts, both have their pro's and con's. The last time I wore long trousers it was in the rain and it was terrible, they got wet and heavy and flopped around the ankles. But then I have also worn shorts that got my legs scratched and of course I picked up ticks.
So I am thinking about longs again, but done properly, which for me is elasticised waist but also with a belt, and high boots with puttees. Plenty of folks on here have spoken of gaiters for snake protection, well puttees do that too but are far more comfortable to wear. They also get rid of that floppy trouser problem and help keep the trousers up.
You need longer boots so I am considering a pair of Courteney Jamieson's, do any of you have these?
What do you think?
View attachment 521889View attachment 521890
It’s shorts for me all the time unless it is cold enough to warrant pants.
have you tried peaceful sleep?
I spray my clothes, socks, shoes and gaiters with it the night before and/or during the day.
works wonders for ticks.
I have a tin in the car all the time. If you walk through an area and see some ticks on you. Spray down. They literally drop off dead/dying.

some worry about the smell, but from my experience. If they can smell you with peaceful sleep, they can smell you without peaceful sleep to be honest.

It’s shorts for me all the time unless it is cold enough to warrant pants.
have you tried peaceful sleep?
I spray my clothes, socks, shoes and gaiters with it the night before and/or during the day.
works wonders for ticks.
I have a tin in the car all the time. If you walk through an area and see some ticks on you. Spray down. They literally drop off dead/dying.

some worry about the smell, but from my experience. If they can smell you with peaceful sleep, they can smell you without peaceful sleep to be honest.
Good to know, and easy to get.

Just use what you wear when gardening as long as there arent dramatic changes in shade. It's not a fashion show.

Last edited:

Yes, it is the highest amount of active ingredient permitted in Germany.
Also the 2% for Permethrin as maximum.
The product @Sika98k recommended will probably be the best (5% Permethrin) ,but this high dose is banned here.

If you allow a short digression.
For duck hunting or similar, Thermacell is really the best way to be prepared against mosquitoes. It also protects your dog if it is sitting next to you.
I have often tried it when swarms of mosquitoes fly their attacks again in muggy summer weather.
It releases the active substance D-Allethrin, a pesticide with knock-down effect.
Foxi
Thermacell.PNG

Last edited:
High percentage DEET is common here as is aerosol Permethrin. Can pick up several varieties at most stores. In Alaska for mosquitos and white sox, the most common has always been 100% DEET liquid, Ben's in a small red plastic squeeze bottle. I usually use 40% aerosol as it seems effective and is handy to use. Permethrin... just spray on clothes. Yes, DEET is known to damage some finishes.

Anything to prevent mosquitos, tsetses and especially pepper ticks! Once with ticks was enough for me. I occasionally get deer ticks here but pepper ticks in numbers need experienced to be appreciated. :)

In Africa, I wear long, cotton or poly cotton cargo pants, short or long sleeve of cotton or poly cotton shirts and jackets, med height boots like Courteney Selous with gaiters and Permethrin on clothes, DEET on exposed skin. Cuts and scratches on hands and arms is bad enough but really don't like getting cuts and scratches on my legs.
shopping.png

repellents.JPG

Bayticol by Bayer works very well. I spray it on my pants legs,where my pants meet my boots and around my waistband.

I’ve never found a tick on me even when my mates hunting with me found ticks on them.

Its available at most pharmacies.

0960B000-4E37-499C-B3EE-EFF75F4CED07.jpeg

I think I bought it at Outdoor Warehouse. Pretty sure Safari & Outdoor will carry it. Cape Union Mart would likely have it too.

Takealot and ntk

I’ve used Ben’s 100% Deet and has worked everywhere except Wonder Lake Campground in Denali NP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois