Lodge ambiance

While I like a very nice atmosphere around me while I am relaxing I don't need it.

I am just as happy sitting on a log near the campfire and sleeping on a cot in a tent.

I won't turn it down if it is available but as I said, I don't need it

I've only been on one safari (next year is no. 2 :) ), and I'll have to say that for me the food, a good fire, a great celebratory cigar, and the camaraderie of the PHs is all good. I was fortunate to go with my wife, and my best friend and his wife. We had a blast, and we couldn't wait to sit around the fire telling how our day had gone.

If you ever try Jack Daniels Single Barrel Proof, you will forever mix Gentleman Jack with cola :A Coffee:
I have and do enjoy it, on ice in a Waterford glass,, but in Windhoek the only available was Jack Daniels Black...we bot 6 bottles and had the one bottle of Gentleman Jack from ATL and A Bottle of Woodford Reserve from the states.

Wherever I'm hunting, just glad to be there and consider myself fortunate that after seven and a half decades on this rock, still able to do it. Ambience is nice and appreciated but don't need it. A little or alot, it's just icing on the cake.

View attachment 406274

Here is a photo from the back deck of our boat in one of my favorite anchorages. It’s our traveling lodge. Nothing like a warm boat and a hot meal after a cold wet day of hunting in AK. I can see the site of multiple bear kills in this pic.
Prince William Sound?

Agree on the thatch roofed cabins and main lodge. Lots of shoulder mounts to admire in the lodge. A firepit within earshot of the lions roaring at night. A great cocktail. I've hunted with Erik Visser at Quagga twice and am headed there July 1. I have to add that the chef, Lucky, pounding his drum and announcing the evening menu is pretty special.

Agree on the thatch roofed cabins and main lodge. Lots of shoulder mounts to admire in the lodge. A firepit within earshot of the lions roaring at night. A great cocktail. I've hunted with Erik Visser at Quagga twice and am headed there July 1. I have to add that the chef, Lucky, pounding his drum and announcing the evening menu is pretty special.
I like seeing shoulder mounts and euros. It may change your perspective on a certain animal you may not have known you like.

We were in Limpopo in early November 2019. We were told by the outfitter. Strip the the top of the bed before you get in....look for scorpions, they have been everywhere.....that is a Wake up call to Africa. Never found one.. my wife had no clue what we were Dealing with.

I love rustic lodges and rooms. Thatched roofs, walls built with local rock etc. I don't like just a farm house, totally feel cheated. Nice fire pit and a great view doesn't hurt either ! Don't get me wrong I will hunt Africa no matter the set up.
Were not much for people in camp we don't know. I have meet some good people this way. But not my choice of things to do.
As others have said I feel very privileged to be able to go so almost any set up will work.

Our room in Namibia. One of my favorites !
100_0584.JPG

Oh yeah ! Kudu horn candles and mounted pig . How does it get any better.
100_0566.JPG

Oh yes fire and drinks with great people.
allus2.jpg

Cheetah skins sure are cool looking in your room.
100_0480.JPG

Well I think you guys get my drift here !

I love rustic lodges and rooms. Thatched roofs, walls built with local rock etc. I don't like just a farm house, totally feel cheated. Nice fire pit and a great view doesn't hurt either ! Don't get me wrong I will hunt Africa no matter the set up.
Were not much for people in camp we don't know. I have meet some good people this way. But not my choice of things to do.
As others have said I feel very privileged to be able to go so almost any set up will work.

Our room in Namibia. One of my favorites !
View attachment 406520

Oh yeah ! Kudu horn candles and mounted pig . How does it get any better.
View attachment 406521

Oh yes fire and drinks with great people.
View attachment 406525

Cheetah skins sure are cool looking in your room.
View attachment 406526

Well I think you guys get my drift here !
Wow! And your drift is perfect on this, everywhere you look contributes something.

I think everyone can relate to this, regardless of decor, the friends with you, the country you are in just a very simple - no man made noise-
No jets, no cars, no generators
I "hear" you but if in RSA, with load shedding, you'll probably hear a generator. I did for a couple days for a few hours before lights out.
e-big-grin.gif

I will just be happy to get there. Although, when I look through camp photos I always enjoy when there are previous trophies on the salt or sun baked skulls from years gone by. It reminds one that this is a hunting camp, not a tourist trap.

I think the sounds are as important as the sights. The bird songs are so different than back home. The insects...sometimes a LOT of them....make a nice ruckus. Hippos snorting down in the river. If you're fortunate enough to be in real wilderness, the grunting and roaring a Lion makes. In Zambia, a toad would magically appear in my shower every night and sing until daylight. I think the sounds are a big part of the ambiance.

I think the sounds are as important as the sights. The bird songs are so different than back home. The insects...sometimes a LOT of them....make a nice ruckus. Hippos snorting down in the river. If you're fortunate enough to be in real wilderness, the grunting and roaring a Lion makes. In Zambia, a toad would magically appear in my shower every night and sing until daylight. I think the sounds are a big part of the ambiance.
Yes yes yes---I love the sounds the doves make in the Limpopo !

Spend time in a true, tented African camp in wild country and when you return home the call of a dove at dawn will take on a whole new meaning.

All those sounds are what recordings are for.:rolleyes:

But I pity those who have never heard a area wake up in the morning as the sun comes up.

Wild animals have a fascination with camps, they frequently wander through seemingly without fear. Once when one of the permanent Mana camps on the Zambezi was abandoned prior to dismantling the lions took the place over and liked sleeping on the bed on the porch. In Zambia on a canoe safari the acacia pods falling on the tent roof slid off and concentrated around the perimeter. I woke up with a buffalo boss rubbing the canvas milimetres away as he fed happily - he must have known we were there. It is this interaction that adds a unique spice to a remote safari camp.

Perhaps you can answer this Kevin but why is thatch used do much in Africa as opposed to a shingled or metal roof? I think it is wonderful looking.
It cannot get stolen.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber