Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
There are so many facets that contribute to a hunting trip's enjoyment, like doing all the preparations, buying the kit, perhaps even a rifle especially for that trip. But once you arrive, what is it about the lodge that gives you that 'ah, yes' feeling? I think for all of us there must be a fire pit, with a circle of canvas safari chairs. For me it is many additional things, here is the first - thatch!

So let's expand the list of what makes an ideal camp or lodge and who knows, maybe some outfitter will build it for us.

Location, location, location. Remote, on water with leopard sawing and lion roaring in the night. On my very first Safari many years ago someone turned on a water spigot outside my thatch hut in the night. Turns out it was an elephant having a pee!

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, its the people more than the things. I'm the quiet guy that no one notices, I can hide in a crowd of 3, but I love hearing everyone else's stories. Well, except for the arrogant rich hunters and usually TV hunters, but hearing about normal folks adventures and misadventures really makes the camp enjoyable for me. A good view and the chance at least of seeing critters from camp is a huge plus.

I agree on the company, that makes it, especially when they are enjoying themselves to the hilt.
I also love being under big flat topped Acacia trees, and a sandy floor.
And endless hot water when you go for your shower.

For me, its the people more than the things. I'm the quiet guy that no one notices, I can hide in a crowd of 3, but I love hearing everyone else's stories. Well, except for the arrogant rich hunters and usually TV hunters, but hearing about normal folks adventures and misadventures really makes the camp enjoyable for me. A good view and the chance at least of seeing critters from camp is a huge plus.
Second that. I don't like crowds but I rather enjoy sitting and listening. The few camps, lodges, I've been in, the hunters were Scandinavian and didn't speak much English so conversation was limited.
The evening highlight for me was the meal. A good grilled steak and sausage or other meat with all the fixings really topped off a hard day in the bush.

I think this can be so many different things. I LOVE the idea of a truly wilderness type setting; much of my hunting in Alaska is extremely remote, with minimal gear. And yet, with any length of time spent in a spot, the camp takes on an air all its own, and each one is special and unique.

Applying this to Africa, I did not experience that wilderness type setting during my first trip, and I'm not complaining at all, not even a little bit. But it was very comfortable/cushy. I agree with wipartimer... it's the people. The Coetzee family made me feel welcome. Forming new friendships with Everett and his brother absolutely added to my experience. The snacks, the routine, the stories... it was all fabulous.

That said, would I enjoy a more traditional, more spartan experience? Absolutely. Again, there are, in my mind, so many varieties - so many flavors. And I have to believe all are special in their own way.

One example: the photo is a place I have often spring bear hunted. A tent, an air mat, a sleeping bag on the ground... simple food. I have sipped coffee on the beach while watching sea lions chase fish. The entire area teems with terrestrial and marine life. It is easily one of my favorite places on earth. And it is isolated. Like WAB said - location, location, location.

I digress Kevin... I believe you meant more Africa hunting camps. ;-)

P1040200.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this can be so many different things. I LOVE the idea of a truly wilderness type setting; much of my hunting in Alaska is extremely remote, with minimal gear. And yet, with any length of time spent in a spot, the camp takes on an air all its own, and each one is special and unique.

Applying this to Africa, I did not experience that wilderness type setting during my first trip, and I'm not complaining at all, not even a little bit. But it was very comfortable/cushy. I agree with wipartimer... it's the people. The Coetzee family made me feel welcome. Forming new friendships with Everett and his brother absolutely added to my experience. The snacks, the routine, the stories... it was all fabulous.

That said, would I enjoy a more traditional, more spartan experience? Absolutely. Again, there are, in my mind, so many varieties - so many flavors. And I have to believe all are special in their own way.

One example: the photo is a place I have often spring bear hunted. A tent, an air mat, a sleeping bag on the ground... simple food. I have sipped coffee on the beach while watching sea lions chase fish. The entire area teems with terrestrial and marine life. It is easily one of my favorite places on earth. And it is isolated. Like WAB said - location, location, location.

I digress Kevin... I believe you meant more Africa hunting camps. ;-)
Not at all TT, a camp or lodge anywhere. I agree, each camp setting has its character, it is funny how one wears a camp like a jacket, it soon gets warm and cozy.

Kevin - Well stated! Such an excellent comparison!

I have to have a shower at nigh,t or in the absence of such, 4-6 strong drinks !

There are so many facets that contribute to a hunting trip's enjoyment, like doing all the preparations, buying the kit, perhaps even a rifle especially for that trip. But once you arrive, what is it about the lodge that gives you that 'ah, yes' feeling? I think for all of us there must be a fire pit, with a circle of canvas safari chairs. For me it is many additional things, here is the first - thatch!

So let's expand the list of what makes an ideal camp or lodge and who knows, maybe some outfitter will build it for us.
Perhaps you can answer this Kevin but why is thatch used do much in Africa as opposed to a shingled or metal roof? I think it is wonderful looking.

It's the overall experience...the lodge has to be ALL things, ALL the time. And it depends on what the hunters expectations of the lodge are.

If you have a crap day hunting (for whatever reason) the lodge needs to be there to bring your spirits back to center. If it's a fire with a drink after a nice meal...that sounds good. For some they just want to sleep it off.

But a lodge should also be a place of celebration. Allowing the hunters and PH's to relive a hard won victory over a worthy adversary. Raise a toast and enjoy the spoils of the day.

For us, it doesn't need to be fancy. Just someplace relatively comfortable to relax a while, write in our journal and reflect on what we learned on this day of hunting. A nice meal with a drink is great. We've also been in a camp where a can of beans was it, and it was perfect.

For the lodge/accommodations - It truly depends on what bill of goods you were sold when you booked the hunt vs. what you are actually getting at the hunting grounds. I'd say there are many bad reviews come from miscommunicated expectations than just about anything else.

Perhaps you can answer this Kevin but why is thatch used do much in Africa as opposed to a shingled or metal roof? I think it is wonderful looking.
For the rural Africans grass is readily available and historically all of their dwellings were thatch, it is still used widely today. When the settlers arived their first houses were thatch too, and I suppose the nostalgia has persisted. It epitomises safari and the bush feel so well. We built our house of thatch too, and apart from the aesthetics it is very practical - cool in summer, warm in winter. I couldn't live under a normal roof again.

15163F12-4B1F-4D2F-A11F-E93DA96925A8.jpeg

Everyone has stated something that holds true to me. The thatch, the fires, lions roaring, hot showers, cold beer... all special.
I’ve only been on two safaris, but each camp was different. In Zimbabwe, it was thatched roof huts, roaring lions, sawing leopards, cold beers at the fire or the bar and good food. Just me, my wife, the PH and staff in camp.
In Namibia, the dinning hall had a thatched roof but we slept in permanent tents with tiled bathrooms. Cold drinks with the outfitters family, two other PH’s and their wives, another couple that overlapped our camp for three days... lots of camarderie. A gourmet chef. The last night a dinner out on the dunes watching the sun set.
All permanently etched in my memories.

Everyone has stated something that holds true to me. The thatch, the fires, lions roaring, hot showers, cold beer... all special.
I’ve only been on two safaris, but each camp was different. In Zimbabwe, it was thatched roof huts, roaring lions, sawing leopards, cold beers at the fire or the bar and good food. Just me, my wife, the PH and staff in camp.
In Namibia, the dinning hall had a thatched roof but we slept in permanent tents with tiled bathrooms. Cold drinks with the outfitters family, two other PH’s and their wives, another couple that overlapped our camp for three days... lots of camarderie. A gourmet chef. The last night a dinner out on the dunes watching the sun set.
All permanently etched in my memories.
That Namibian dune evening is very special, I enjoyed it once and what struck me was that weird sound of the sand moving, but not a breath of air.

To me a lodge needs to be a place to celebrate the successes but also a place of comfort when it doesn't go so well that day. So for me, an atmosphere of wilderness and the sounds that accompany it, a good fire/braai, good drinks, comfy chairs all around with good company with good conversation.

I can stay at a hotel anywhere, so it's gotta be a little on the rougher side. It doesn't need to be extravagant or even great, just pleasant enough to be able to relax and enjoy the time. I would like it to "feel" like I'm on a hunt, not vacationing so to speak.

I haven't been to Africa yet but I'm heading there next year. When I go to any lodge I like to see taxidermy and good food lol. Doesn't even have to be good taxidermy , but the food has to be.

Zebra skin rug....crackling fire in the fireplace...leather wing back chairs..two facing two, a dog curled up at your feet...a glass of Gentleman Jack...a conversation between hunters....Priceless. My first trip to Namibia

Yes, the iconic zebra skin rug, and a buffalo head somewhere, so you can get the measure of the beast and respect that boss before you face him on the morrow.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg