Locking ammo cans for travel?

Not that I am aware of. It is a SAA rule. Since I have never flown SAA, hopefully a member that has flown them can chime in. Even if you fly to Joburg on Delta and change over to SAA to continue to your destination, you have to remove the ammo from the checked bag and check it as an additional checked bag at no extra charge.

ANY MEMBERS THAT HAVE FLOWN SAA, PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS POST!
I’ve flown SAA twice from Joberg to Zimbabwe and have never been required to remove my small mtm case locked with two keyed locks from my suitcase. Once Delta to Joberg and the other Emirates.

Flying SAA from Frankfurt to Johannesburg, ammobox could be left inmy bag, bag was tagged "firearms.
On the retun the ammobox had to be removed and checked seperatly.

I am using a cheap small pelican-copy with a padlock. Guesstimate it to be 20x25x15cm

Just using a Pelican (1200 series) - actually my camera case (still take a full size SLR with a bigger lens).
Use it for ammo and stuff it full of other stuff on the way over, camera goes in carry on and on the way back the camera goes in the Pelican, just use keyed locks, never had an issue

I guess I’m just suspicious looking?
LOL. No, mine was opened last year as well but it was re-locked and a note inside. Glad I used TSA locks.

LOL. No, mine was opened last year as well but it was re-locked and a note inside. Glad I used TSA locks.
Well Scott, you’re definitely suspicious looking:LOL::ROFLMAO::D!

I use a small pelican with TSA locks. It holds 5 boxes of Ammo and my knives. Delta always leaves it in the duffle. SAA is about 50:50. They seem to do whatever they feel like at the time. I’m not sure any of them know what the actual rules are.

7E9399D3-ECAC-4436-8486-9344D7838F95.jpeg
FADCE8FB-0D5E-4684-A3EF-95F4E1004C17.jpeg
Just for a visual, here is my Pelican 1150 with 70 rounds of 375 H&H Federal 300 gr A-frames and a Galco 10 round belt slide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delta always leaves it in the duffle. SAA is about 50:50. They seem to do whatever they feel like at the time. I’m not sure any of them know what the actual rules are.

That post just about says it - "not sure any of them know what the actual rules are" Seems like you can get different answers from different people with the same company, I've even seen them argue and disagree about their policies, and you can show them what it says on the website and they still won't change their minds

Sorry guys - a bit off the topic of this thread, but one of my biggest pet peeves ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a basic handgun case modified to hold two, 20 round slip top ammo boxes. Two holes added to sliding latches. Two basic small locks. Id added to outside and inside. Placed inside checked bag- never an issue. One time had to check the ammo case separately... on SA flight from Durban to JNB- go figure. Delta straightened it out when checking in for JNB to ATL flight.
lockable ammo case open.JPG
lockable ammo case closed.JPG

Just a basic handgun case modified to hold two, 20 round slip top ammo boxes. Two holes added to sliding latches. Two basic small locks. Id added to outside and inside. Placed inside checked bag- never an issue. One time had to check the ammo case separately... on SA flight from Durban to JNB- go figure. Delta straightened it out when checking in for JNB to ATL flight.
View attachment 238753View attachment 238754
That's my plan use locking pistol cases. I've checked with my Local TSA and they approved to pack inside checked bags?

I had a small MTM ammo box and a buddy had a small GI type ammo box.

When I flew SAA on the trip over my ammo was in my checked baggage. It was still in my checked baggage from Joberg to Port Elizabeth. On the way home from Port Elizabeth the clerk ask for it to be removed from my checked bag and handed me a baggage tag for it. Then once in Joberg and the ammo box was retrieved I placed it back into my checked bag for the flight back to the states.

My one problem was that there wasn't a handle on the MTM ammo box to place the luggage tag. So I opened it up and looped it through the lid, closed it and locked it with the TSA locks. My buddies ammo box had a handle where he could loop the luggage tag through so he had no problem.

I literally use the smallest piece of junk box that I can slap a lock on. There is nothing that states that the box has to be "robust". On the last few trips I have used a plastic ammo box that had a tab with holes in it, perfect fit for a TSA luggage lock

Using TSA locks outside of the US is not required since those locks are for the TSA only to access the contents......just came thru Atlanta...checked baggage was opened, ammo box had a traditional lock on it, but the inspector did not replace the TSA lock on the suitcase itself. Thanks TSA for being so concerned about the security of my contents in my checked baggage that you did not lock it.

Pelican case took out the foam and packed 5 boxes of 300 win mag. Was inspected and point of travel and never had any problems transiting thro Joberg then onto Windhoek. Probably more ammo than necessary but had change to do some culling.

I use a Pelican 1200 as an ammo carrier for all of my hunting trips. Flying international, I keep my ammo, rangefinder, rifle cleaning kit, earplugs, torque wrench for scopes/actions, lens pen, and leatherman in that case. Basically, everything related to loading, repairing, maintaining, or sighting my rifles is in that case.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1200...1532031194&sr=1-1&keywords=pelican+1220+green

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 2.44.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 2.44.36 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 321

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,