Lion Rug Mount

POINT OF INFORMATION...PLEASE...Can you import a male lion back to the USA?
Depends. Not a CBL like typical low cost from RSA. Wild probably yes, depending upon where it was taken. Tanzanian for example, likely yes. The other possibility is that new category they are using in RSA where they may have decended from Captive Bred Lions, but were born and raised somehow that they may qualify as wild raised. Not sure how that works or if people are getting them in. I'm sure in RSA they are still in a fence, just a much larger pen.

I would never be interested in shooting a fence in or pen raised lion.

The original poster @Sjakon lists his location as Indonesia and Australia, as such the relevant import restrictions will be those in Indonesia or Australia.

I would never be interested in shooting a fence in or pen raised lion.
Well there are good options for wild lion in real serious wilderness;) And importable to the USA.

Guys, I shot a lion and the taxidermist has a full cape. I really do not have enough room at home for a full mount. What is your opinion of a full cape lion rug mount. Other option is a pedestal mount with just the head. Thanks for any thoughts.

Visit with @gizmo he been, shot a lion & does a lot of cool Taxidermie stuff. Very creative!

POINT OF INFORMATION...PLEASE...Can you import a male lion back to the USA?
Sorry I live in 2 countries: Australia and Indonesia. Australia will not allow cats or elephants. Indonesia allows with CITES certificate.

Guys, I shot a lion and the taxidermist has a full cape. I really do not have enough room at home for a full mount. What is your opinion of a full cape lion rug mount. Other option is a pedestal mount with just the head. Thanks for any thoughts.
Congrats on your Lion. I would just do a full sitting pose on a small pedestal if that's feasible

Not helpful but this freaked me out o_O

1669729404830.png

@Sjakon, did you do a hunt report on your lion? If you did not, do you mind sharing your experience with us? Thanks!

@Sjakon, did you do a hunt report on your lion? If you did not, do you mind sharing your experience with us? Thanks!
Yes sure. I will write up something this weekend
Best regards,
Sjakon

one other point to mention is to verify if a rug is even an option. Typical skinning of an animal for a life size mount is different than the same animal would be skinned for a rug

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the input and your kind words. I am having second thoughts of relegating my lion to less than full mount. You are right it is a magnificent regal beast. Just need to negotiate with the Mrs now
Good luck! Here’s something to think about that I ask my hunters all the time, “Does she make the mortgage payment all by herself and you’re not on the Deed or do you also own the house?” Works every time to get them riled up! Lol

Good luck! Here’s something to think about that I ask my hunters all the time, “Does she make the mortgage payment all by herself and you’re not on the Deed or do you also own the house?” Works every time to get them riled up! Lol
Sound piece of advice there. Seems the Mrs. Issue has come up in several of these threads be it in guns, mount choices, or hunts themselves

Thought you might have decided this before you pulled the trigger on the hunt.

If you are unsure do the full Rug with skull and claws intact.

I can't import one to Australia but that's one trophy I would want to hunt and have professionally finished, as a Rug.

I have the floor space if you don't.

Please post pics in due course

Sorry guys, but---- if you have room for a rug on the floor or the wall you have room for a Lifesize !

Ok i have to weigh in on all the talk about the Mrs. If you want her to not be too bothered by the full mount lion under the stairs....
20170802_173851.jpg

All you need to do is put a rhino in the living room behind the couch.... Believe me, she'll almost never even bring up the lion:) Especially with the rhinos rear facing the dining room;)
20180512_211427.jpg

That’s AWESOME ActionBob!! Well done and great trophies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.