Lion(ess) Question

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Hank2211, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I just received a shipment of trophies from my 2014 safari. I had most of the taxidermy done in Africa, and this gives rise to a question (a few actually, but let's start with this one)

On the lioness, I asked for a rug, with the mouth open. Well, the taxidermist cut the head off, and then re-attached the head to the rest of the skin with staples. Since this is a lioness, there is no mane to cover the line. As well, the staples used to attach the skin to the head didn't all hit the wood base under the head, and some stick up and out, so if you try to touch the "neck" you are liable to shed some blood.

Does anyone know if this is standard procedure? I had a male made into a rug some years ago, and they kept the skin in one piece.

I won't get into the fact that most of the claws are missing or broken (and they were on the skin when I left it), or that the skin is poorly glued to a very thin piece of felt (black, but almost see-through) with no padding . . .

A picture of the problem:

IMG_0644.jpg

Thanks!

2. Bert the Turtle

Bert the Turtle AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    It may be just the photo but the fur color looks a lot lighter on the neck and the color change occurs exactly at the cut line. Any chance there was some hair slippage somewhere and they created a frankenlion in an attempt to address the problem?

3. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana,Tajikastan, Mozambique, Zsmbia, South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    Hank it's some typical garbage work. I don't think the head is detached just tightly folded to the rug form
    The ear set is way wrong also, This one is just not blended into the neck real well, Heck it's not traction at all.
    Can it be fixed, Yes, if you do it quickly and soon as the tan deteriates after timing If that head it attached and I would bet it is. just looks like it is cut
    If you want my help on this let me know
    Dennis

Bos en Dal Safaris, Ado and CAustin like this.

4. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I thought that, but it doesn't look like it. The hair does seem to go in the same direction, and it looks like the same parts. There was another trophy - a grysbok - where I think I did get a different head and body . . . not sure why.

5. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Dennis, thanks for this. I do think it's been cut off - my local taxidermist (who does great work but hates being in the middle of things like this) - thought that was what they'd done. Having said that, I have it here in a bag and will have a closer look.

6. kathy

kathy AH Fanatic

I would be SICK , what a beautiful animal to have such shabby work done . Forrest

7. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    Sorry about that Hank. I haven't seen it done like that before. Sure takes away from the lion. The average non hunter that sees it probably won't notice though.

If you have multiple problems from the same taxidermist you might consider posting their name as a caution/warning to other members here.

Bummer.

8. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Looked up a couple that are for sale and it appears there is a similar issue on the second one.

_393773_orig.jpg _4616798_orig.jpg

9. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Another example. w/o the issue.

16903450_3_l.jpg

10. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    Yes I sure would like to know who did that work. Seems they made a few mistakes on your stuff and it may be best to say who did it so no one else has the same problems.

Really sorry to see and hear about the problems with your trophies

11. Mekaniks

Mekaniks GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
    +1 want to know so I don't use them. I would be SUPER pissed if my trophy showed up like that. A plane ticket to kick some taxidermist ass would be less expensive and far more fulfilling than trying to get a lawyer or giving the original taxi a chance to fix it.

12. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Dennis you are always willing to help and I think you are to be commended! Thank you.

ScottG likes this.

13. Hank2211

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thanks Brick for the pictures. I have to say, the one on the right - which looks like it has the same issue - doesn't look natural at all. That's the problem I have with mine. Doesn't look natural.

Moral of the story is have the work done closer to home.

14. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    Hank, the head sure does look as if cut off.....that's the first time I have seen that done.

15. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
    Hi Hank,
    Sorry about your experience on such a beautiful animal. Have to agree with Simon. Never seen it done like that, and nor should it be. Dennis of @The Artistry of Wildlife will certainly sort it out for you.

Take Care,
    Marius Goosen

siml likes this.

16. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    just sucks to see you got burned like that but there should be more of the story told. Would be good for all to know who did the bad work. Bad work and good work can be done all over. It takes research to find the goods one or takes people talking about the bad work to find that out to.

17. vinnymbogo

vinnymbogo AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation,
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA, Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique
    All I can say Hank: what a shame! I've had work done in Africa that was excellent, and some shabby work done in Calgary (when I was young and foolish; when I didn't know the difference). Now I'll visit the taxidermist personally, as sometimes web pictures do not do the work justice (either good or bad). Good luck with the restoration!

18. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana,Tajikastan, Mozambique, Zsmbia, South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    That second pic of Bricks is not cut off, the guy doing the rug just staples it to the form and doesn't let it flow into the rest of the skin.it's tight to the mannikin and not a gradual slope from the form to the rug

19. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    You would think the guy could manage to use a F041Q0DFCAENK5H.MEDIUM.jpg

and less staples.

Oh well.

20. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    A nuke would have done less damage.