Limpopo Malaria

Anyone ever get a Cholera or Yellow fever vaccine before going over?

We are heading to Limpopo in early June for 9 days and will spend a couple of days in Kruger as well. What are the chances of Malaria at that time of year? Do you take the meds or just risk it?
My outfitter said that some people have a worse reaction to the meds and he wouldn't take it.

I'm lost when it comes to this. I can't find any other vaccines needed for SA unless I am missing something.
@BLJC30, We have had a tremendous amount of rain, with this is a lot of standing water, visit your doctor and get a prophylaxis, we have had a real issue with malaria in the last couple of weeks here close to Kruger, although your risk will be much lower in June, its still advisable.

I followed the CDC recommendations on their website and took a malaria prophylaxis. I also had Hep A & B vaccines, tetanus vaccine and the typhoid vaccine.
Be careful with vaccines. Talk to your doctor and do your research. Some have Guillain- Bare’ as a side effect. As someone who went thru it, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I was in the hospital for a month, had four months of rehab and it took almost another two years to get back to close to normal. I still have some residual effects.

Check with your doc. I use malarone. I have to take it with dinner to avoid stomach issues. Some meds cause odd side effects. I had some pretty spectacular nightmares on one of them.

malarone here too. Larium / mefloquine is black boxed. I have been a vivid dreamer since childhood so don’t need any additional influences…;-)

malarone is not especially water soluble which is why it’s best to take it with fats. Full-fat milk or heavy cream works for me.

In Malaria areas I take Lariam (Mefloquine). It has no Side effects for me and Is only one pill weekly. Some report side effects. Malarone gave me terrible side effects. I just mention this as an option because everyone is different.
As has been said with your clothing treated and good big repellent you will likely be ok.
You know what it sounds like everyone? Pick a drug and try it well in advance of your trip to check for side effects. You don’t want to find out about side effects during your hunt

Anyone ever get a Cholera or Yellow fever vaccine before going over?
My clinic said Yellow fever not needed for SA, did get Cholera shot though. The lowdown on the Yellow shot is this, with all the "other" things going around I was told they cut back on making it. So, a little bit of short supply and had to prove there was a real need. I was told close to 2 hundred and had to be ordered special. I am looking ahead to other trips in more "less perfect" areas. Actually have to have a trip booked to one of these areas.

YF shot as far as Africa goes is needed in mainly Central African countries, I believe also needed in some Central American countries. No YF vaccine = no entry. You need a yellow WHO vaccine card.

(1) I would suggest that you get a Yellow Fever even though not really necessary for RSA. Once you turn 60, it’s not recommended to get as it cause problems for those over 60. And it’s now 1 shot for life, instead of once every 10 years.

(2) Malarone is what is recommended. I only had problems when I took it in the evening before drinking, no booze, no problems. It is to be taken at the same time every day. Next time I will take it in the mornings.

(3) Chloroquine works in South America, but allegedly not in Africa.

(4) Doxy, is for tick fever and/or Malaria if you get it while on Malarone. Unfortunately, nothing is 100% against malaria.

(5) Hep A & B, I would get that too.

Good info, I’m going to Zimbabwe near lake Kariba. I’ll be getting most vaccines. Not sure if I’ll end up with yellow fever vac or not as there aren’t any around.

You don't want to mess with Malaria, I came down with it once as I was returning from a trip to India. The headache I developed before I could get to the Doc I thought was going to split the top of my head wide open. That was over 35 years ago, and it still rates high as one of my worst physical experiences.

Best regards,

Yes, usually county/regional health depts/clinics have access to latest areas of concern and recommendations. In 2010, I did get a yellow fever shot based on going to area of concern. Also tetanus is not a bad idea no matter, especially if it's been awhile since having one. I check the latest endemic maps and news for malaria before each trip and have taken Malarone or generic equivalent a few trips if going to, traveling through or spending any time in zone of concern. The only side effect I've noticed for the malaria prophylaxis was once had a couple of days of slight bleary headedness. I always follow the directions, to the letter, for taking the malaria prophylaxis. Also on a semi-related note to this thread... it's a good idea to take a 10 day or so supply of something like Cipro, just in case of acquisition of some fairly common gut bacterial bug. It's not taken as a preventative but at fist hint of stomach problem. Symptoms can be similar to Montezuma's revenge.

Yeah don't take antibiotics as a preventative...they are losing their effectiveness seriously against all sorts of infections that they had no problem combating in the past...this is from over use in applications they were not made for using in....some infections are now totally or nearly so to the majority of current antibiotics....quite a few people are dying now simply because the antibiotics don't work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!