Limpopo in April

Edster

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have been invited by a friend to accompany him to Limpopo. We are headed over April 6,2020. I have been gleaning info from here and planning has been going well. Flights have been booked and paid for. Boston to ATL, then on to JNB. We will be spending the night with African Sky. I have arraigned for them to do the rifle permits also.
Working my way thru the paperwork for the permits now.
4457’s are filled out and we will be headed down to the CBP after the new year to get their blessing stamped on the forms. I have gone they the process and done the ITN numbers for both of us, just in case !!!

Question for the day. Been trying to get ammo packed in the boxes we will be using. Of course the boxes are too small to fit factory ammo boxes, well at least all we will be bringing. Anyone see any issues if I use RePack boxes.

9FE9B058-DEC1-4DBE-BF11-2ABB1F1A0958.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about using boxes with a military designation. I would be a bit nervous about it.
Similar to Brickburn, I use the inserts from old ammo boxes with a layer of foam on top and one on bottom for padding.
Be certain to use TSA locks on the ammo box. I’ve had locks cut open to see what was in the box. Also had TSA locks taken off and put inside the box. Not sure why they didn’t replace them.
JMO&E
You’re going to have a great time!
Are you taking anything that requires a CITIES permit? Limpopo is notorious for taking a long time to approve. Animals such as night critters, caracal, civet, etc. Also black wildebeest and possibly giraffe from what I’ve read.

Last edited:
Reactions: IvW
What's it like in Limpopo? I'm looking at going there also, but was told (by someone that wanted me to hunt elsewhere - meaning their area) that it is over run with flies. Be sure to do a hunt report when you get back.

Limpopo is beautiful, but my two trips were in July and August. Dry, cool days and no rain or flies. Lots of game of every kind.
As for your rifle permits, good to use a service in South Africa to expedite the process.
I packed my ammo in my checked suitcase in the locked bottom section. No problem. Rifles with the 4457 U.S. permit and the South African Police Permit done in advance. No problems.
Hang on to your U.S. 4457 like it was your passport. I nearly left mine with SAPS at the Jo'berg airport on my return flight.

Not sure about using boxes with a military designation. I would be a bit nervous about it.
Similar to Brickburn, I use the inserts from old ammo boxes with a layer of foam on top and one on bottom for padding.
Be certain to use TSA locks on the ammo box. I’ve had locks cut open to see what was in the box. Also had TSA locks taken off and put inside the box. Not sure why they didn’t replace them.
JMO&E
You’re going to have a great time!
Are you taking anything that requires a CITIES permit? Limpopo is notorious for taking a long time to approve. Animals such as night critters, caracal, civet, etc. Also black wildebeest and possibly giraffe from what I’ve read.

Yes I had thought about making a label
to go over the military designation.

Nothing that requires CITIES, going for Impala, Wildebeest (Blue), and Blesbok. My hunting partner may go for a warthog.

What's the issue with a Black wildebeest? Is it just in SA or is it all countries?

What's the issue with a Black wildebeest? Is it just in SA or is it all countries?

Just SA as I understand. At least I had to get one in 2018.

What's it like in Limpopo? I'm looking at going there also, but was told (by someone that wanted me to hunt elsewhere - meaning their area) that it is over run with flies. Be sure to do a hunt report when you get back.
I’ve hunted there from mid May into mid September. Never had a fly nor mosquito issue. Never saw it rain enough to get wet. Sprinkles only. Still, I carry a rain jacket just in case and it works well in the mornings and nights to break the wind while riding in the bakkie.

I have been invited by a friend to accompany him to Limpopo. We are headed over April 6,2020. I have been gleaning info from here and planning has been going well. Flights have been booked and paid for. Boston to ATL, then on to JNB. We will be spending the night with African Sky. I have arraigned for them to do the rifle permits also.
Working my way thru the paperwork for the permits now.
4457’s are filled out and we will be headed down to the CBP after the new year to get their blessing stamped on the forms. I have gone they the process and done the ITN numbers for both of us, just in case !!!

Question for the day. Been trying to get ammo packed in the boxes we will be using. Of course the boxes are too small to fit factory ammo boxes, well at least all we will be bringing. Anyone see any issues if I use RePack boxes.

View attachment 320709

How much ammunition is in one of those boxes? Looks like you will be ready to fight a platoon action. ;)

You have picked a somewhat challenging month to hunt Northern South Africa. In April, particularly early April, it can be hot during the heat of the day - more so the farther east you are in the province. Early in the month, there is a good chance you will see some rain as well. There also will be a lot of vegetation on the brush making spotting game more challenging. The positive thing is that the game ranches haven't seen much pressure yet so your quarry may be a bit less wary.

If you are going to be near the Limpopo River you might want to consider a malaria preventative that time of year.
https://www.africahunting.com/hunting/big-game-hunting/south-africa-malaria-map.html

Last edited:
How much ammunition is in one of those boxes? Looks like you will be ready to fight a platoon action. ;)

You have picked a somewhat challenging month to hunt Northern South Africa. In April, particularly early April, it can be hot during the heat of the day - more so the farther east you are in the province. Early in the month, there is a good chance you will see some rain as well. There also will be a lot of vegetation on the brush making spotting game more challenging. The positive thing is that the game ranches haven't seen much pressure yet so your quarry may be a bit less wary.

If you are going to be near the Limpopo River you might want to consider a malaria preventative that time of year.
https://www.africahunting.com/hunting/big-game-hunting/south-africa-malaria-map.html

The boxes hold 20 rounds each. Just trying to see what would fit. Not exactly sure how mucho to bring. Was thinking 40 rounds for each rifle. Guidance in that topic would be appreciated!!
Already planning on Malaria meds. In fact they are already in my Africa pile. Dr filled script last week.

It is native to SA. Some of the high fence game ranches in Namibia stock them (most of Namibia is free range - tribal lands or low fence cattle operations), but the logical place to take one is SA. The Limpopo is the northern edge of their historic range, but in SA it really doesn't matter - you are hunting whatever the ranch owner has stocked on his property.

That's BS.

Agree with ActionBob, forget about flies. Never heard of black wildebeest or even SA giraffe being CITES. Anyone have info on that?

It has been 4 years but I had no problems bringing a black wildebeest back and I have seen others post on here with them and haven't heard of having to get special paper work submitted.

Agree with ActionBob, forget about flies. Never heard of black wildebeest or even SA giraffe being CITES. Anyone have info on that?
Black Wildebeest does require an extra permit. But I think it's a TOPS permit. It is an antiquated thing stemming from the time period before the present system of laws governing ownership of wildlife in South Africa. At one time the black wildebeest was almost extinct. With private ownership and "if it pays, it stays" reality that develops when capitalism is allowed to flourish, the numbers have increased to the point that are regularly culled now. The hassle of the TOPS permit seems to actually be working against the species now as landowners and Outfitters prefer to not be bothered with it.

However they make a fantastic and somewhat unique trophy as well as being good eating. And they are a heck of a lot of fun to hunt! They have evolved to effectively throw a smoke bomb to cover their escape;)

However you should hunt them in the East Cape where they are indigenous. And add a red hartebeest. Then along with a blue wildebeest from Limpopo (where they are indigenous).

20191225_235905.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a nice one in Nambia a few years ago, but not in SA.

Black Wildebeest does require an extra permit. But I think it's a TOPS permit. It is an antiquated thing stemming from the time period before the present system of laws governing ownership of wildlife in South Africa. At one time the black wildebeest was almost extinct. With private ownership and "if it pays, it stays" reality that develops when capitalism is allowed to flourish, the numbers have increased to the point that are regularly culled now. The hassle of the TOPS permit seems to actually be working against the species now as landowners and Outfitters prefer to not be bothered with it.

However they make a fantastic and somewhat unique trophy as well as being good eating. And they are a heck of a lot of fun to hunt! They have evolved to effectively throw a smoke bomb to cover their escape;)

However you should hunt them in the East Cape where they are indigenous. And add a red hartebeest. Then along with a blue wildebeest from Limpopo (where they are indigenous).

View attachment 320810

ActionBob that is a beautiful mount!!

Giraffe now requires a CITES permit per my exporter - went into effect on 11/26/2019

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg