Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
SA, NZ, Montana, Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
Curious if anybody has a good solution to what I call hot feet. I am looking for a lightweight, very breathable, hunting boot . The boots still need to be supportive as I am 66 with multiple knee replacements.Thanx

I am very happy with my Courtney canvas/leather boots. My score to date ACLs both legs, broken feet 1 once 1 twice broken ankle+76 years. I need all of the help i can get

I picked up a pair of Crispi Colorado's this past march and have put a number of miles on them.

They are a combination of leather and canvas that come up above the ankles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.21.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.21.00 AM.png
    920.4 KB · Views: 70
I live in the desert and am familiar with trying not to overheat. In my environment, I try to avoid “waterproof” boots for hot weather work because it comes at a noticeable cost to ventilation. That may or may not be a good option for you.

I am a fan of Keen footwear. They aren’t high end, but they are comfortable, and reasonable in all aspects in my opinion. This is a mid height boot that works well in hot climate, but you may be looking for something higher for more support.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.21.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.21.49 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
I am a huge fan of Crispi boots as well. I believe you need to wear good socks to keep your feet dry. I use socks from KUIU Merino socks, or Smart Wool socks, and I've noticed the difference when wearing something else.

For hot weather I have always worn Palladium Pampa Boots.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.22.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.22.00 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
As always, I recommend Russel Mocassins. Especially if you have had multiple knee replacements and need custom fitting. There is a half a size difference between my left and right feet and they accommodated that along with me having the right leg being 3mm shorter than the left leg after a hip replacement surgery.

Ive got a pair of custom/bespoke boots from James Leddy Boots that are outstanding... similar to the Courteney hunters, but with Vibram soles and a few other modifications, I've found them to just about perfect for most African hunting (dryer climes.. I wouldnt consider them as a first choice for moving through particularly wet or muddy areas).. I also wear these boots primarily for upland birds, small game, etc in the US (hunting where I might be on my feet for longer periods of time, doing a lot of walking, etc.. but not in wet, muddy conditions).. because they are bespoke, the are quite literally perfectly fit for each foot, provide excellent arch support, comfort, etc.. you can cover a ton of ground and not feel the ill effects of it (this is coming from a pretty large guy @ 6'4" and 255lbs.. with a pretty bad left knee, and a pair of ankles and a pair of hips that have seen a lot of abuse over the past 5 decades)..

https://jamesleddyabilene.com/

For wetter or muddier conditions, I typically lean more towards a good hiking type boot.. Over the years I have used a pretty wide variety of merrels, danners, salomons, etc.. and found that danners usually fit my foot the best.. the old Danner 45 Agitator was probably the best hiker I ever found for my foot.. but its been out of production for several years at this point.. it was replaced by the Danner 453 Gore-Tex boot which I assume is equally nice.. but I admittedly havent tried the 453's yet..

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/dan...5sU-y1lH8la1AMEZLowaAu5pEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My current hiker/hunting boot for wetter or muddier conditions is the 5.11 XPRT.. I bought a pair on a whim maybe 3 or 4 years ago.. the 5.11 store in Dallas was having a big clearance sale after Christmas and had the boots marked down from $225 to about $75.. I had no clue if I would like them or not.. but I was in need of a new pair of boots.. and for $75 I thought it would be worth giving them a shot..

They have truly been excellent boots.. They have hunted Argentina, Peru, South Texas, Alaska, and a few other locations on numerous occasions.. and have been daily wear boots for a few work related trips to East Africa and have held up exceptionally well.. and have been extremely comfortable.. and have supported those previously mentioned abused ankles, hips, and knees very well also.. I really have no complaints at all.. .

https://www.511tactical.com/xprt-3-waterproof-6-boot-28.html

FWIW the XPRTs are on sale right now at 5.11... for about $140.. for that money I think they are an absolute steal.. If I could find them again for $75, I'd buy 3 pair and just set them aside so that I'd know I'd have boots for the next couple of decades :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.23.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.23.49 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.23.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.23.53 AM.png
    718.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.24.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.24.16 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
I am a huge fan of Crispi boots as well. I believe you need to wear good socks to keep your feet dry. I use socks from KUIU Merino socks, or Smart Wool socks, and I've noticed the difference when wearing something else.

Those smart socks are brilliant....when I first got them and put my Courtney selous boots on....like walking on cushions ....couldn't believe it....only socks I wear with them now....heaven....:A Thumbs Up:

I wear the Rocky S2V boots that are uninsulated, not Gore-TEX and no steel toe (Code RKC 050). My first pair was Sage color and I really liked them, but I've been unable to find that color again. Making due with Coyote (light brown) color and it seems to work just fine. They are lightweight and cool enough for me to wear all day while working in hot conditions. They are also very quiet when walking which I find very important for a hunting boot.
1652473548665.png

Just got the crispi briksdal's and they are by far the most comfortable hunting boots for my feet that I have tried. Very snug fit all the way around the foot. Feel more like a hiking boot upper with the support of a mountain boot. I recommend going up one size if you try them out.

Hi Rickmt,

A question: For what environment are you looking that kind of boots for?
If they are for your home mountains I can recommend uninsulated hiker/backpacking all leather ASOLO boots. I am ASOLO boots user for the last 20 years. Still made in Europe. No better boots for me!
As PARA45 said, get the best socks, two pairs: a thin first layer one over the skin and a second mid weight wool or good synthetic one.
My present boots are these https://www.asolo.com/en/mountain-trekking/1198-traverse-gv.html

Good luck!

CF

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 7.06.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 7.06.01 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
For hot weather hikes here in Montana as well as Africa hunting. I like a very thin sock because my feet get hot . I presently use keen and danner boots uninsulated and not waterproof. They are only boots to not make my feet hot.

Army issue leather boots, thin liner and wool socks.
May sound strange, but will keep your feet cool and dry.

Lowa I like for what you are looking for. The deal with boots they just because it works for someone else doesn't mean they will work for you.

For hot weather I have always worn Palladium Pampa Boots.

If only they made them wide enough for my box feet…

Hi Rickmt,

Well, if those boots and socks you are using now do work, why change?
Agree with you about to use non insulated leather boots. And, agree with GuttormG
."...thin liner and wool socks. May sound strange, but will keep your feet cool and dry."
This is my same experience!

Good Luck!

CF

I've used Belleville mini mils for several safaris is SA and Tanzania, they're cool, very quiet sneaking boots and dry very quickly, they also have an 8 or 9mm drop at the heel, that keeps the hamstrings pulled down for some nice relaxing and comfortable long walks.

Wife and i left our last pairs in Tanzania with everything else but the clothes or our backs last trip, i have since treated us both to our first pairs of Courteny boots with the soft soles bought from the nice guy at africansportingcreations.com for upcoming Limpopo this fall as well as Tanzania 2024, i need to get them dirty in Australia after a Water Buffalo with a 50-90 Sharps and 750 grains of home hard cast lead someday too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg