Novice Huntress

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hi all good afternoon,

I appreciate this maybe a over asked topic, I have had a look at past threads. So here goes I am looking to replace a Docter 8x56 scope, I currently use a Leica 2.5-10 x42 4a. I have an opportunity to try some thing different, I appreciate everyone's eyes are different.

So I have a chance to purchase a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50, my questions are, have people been happy with reliability, happy with click values and return to zero, happy with morning and evening twilight performance, and for all those PH'S out there have they held up well in the rigours of the African Bush, plains etc???

Rifle will be a 308w and possibly used on a 8x68s.

I understand that latest high end German/Austrian optics have great optical quality, but will the Leupold get on and get a job done???

Look forward to your thoughts

Rgds

I don't have experience with the VX3 you are looking at, but I have VX6 models on my M70 300 winmag and on my 416 Rigby and I am very happy with both scopes. I especially like the red dot feature on both scopes. I've used the 300 winmag in Africa on two hunts and it performed beautifully. I have been practicing with the VX6HD-1-6 scope with the CDS system to get ready for a buffalo hunt next year. I like the ability to dial the scope down to 1X and it functions like a RMR red dot sight.

I have several VX 3 models, VX5, and several Swarovski scopes. For the money it’s hard to beat as there is not noticeable difference in dusk performance versus my 4-12-50 Swarovski Habicht. If you put it next the Z6 there is a noticeable difference at dusk.

I will say that 75% of my rifles carry a leupold just for the money/performance value.

You will never have a reliability issue with a Leupold scope. I’ve put all mine through a lot of abuse and never had one fail.

Hi all good afternoon,

I appreciate this maybe a over asked topic, I have had a look at past threads. So here goes I am looking to replace a Docter 8x56 scope, I currently use a Leica 2.5-10 x42 4a. I have an opportunity to try some thing different, I appreciate everyone's eyes are different.

So I have a chance to purchase a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50, my questions are, have people been happy with reliability, happy with click values and return to zero, happy with morning and evening twilight performance, and for all those PH'S out there have they held up well in the rigours of the African Bush, plains etc???

I understand that latest high end German/Austrian optics have great optical quality, but will the Leupold get on and get a job done???

Rgds
I used Leupold VariX III scopes in 3.5-10X magnification on two South African hunts. One on a .338 Win. Magnum and the other on a .375 H&H Magnum. The scopes were mounted on Leupold Quick Release mounts. Zero problems. One scope is now attached to a Colt-Sauer in .30-06. The other on a Springfield 1903 in .30-06. The .375 now has a Leupold VariX III in 2.5-8X magnification and the .404 Jeffery I am building will use a Leupold Vari-Xi in 1.5-5X magnification. I also use Leica, Zeiss, Weaver and Nikon scopes.

Leupold makes very good scopes! I have 4 of their scopes( different models), no issues. The value for the performance and price is hard to beat.

I have had a VXII on my Thompson/Center for over 10 years and a VX 3i on my Ruger #1 for three or so. Both in 30-06 with no issues concerning recoil. I think they are both 36mm objective lense, but both are clear and brighter than my own eyes in early and late light so the 50 mm you mention ought to work even better.

Hi all good afternoon,

Rgds
I have a 3.5x10 on a 308 it has been on there for almost 10 years without any issues. Some of my nicer scopes gather light a little better but all around I have been very happy with this scope

I have a leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 with the Boone and Crockett reticle. I like the scope and the reticle but my only gripe is that it looses its sharpness when the power is set above x12.
I bought it unseen second hand for a good price, I dont think I would have bought it new full price.

i would suggest that 4.5 - 14 is too much scope for a 308.
this based on the fact that i replaced a 3.5 - 10 on my 7mm stw with a 4.5 - 14, and regret it.
0nce you go over 9 power, parralax adjustment becomes critical.
if it is not adjusted correctly it can cause a miss.
and adjusting it in the field is often all but impossible.
if you can't get it with a 10x scope you will be stretching a 308 to more than it can deliver.
bruce.

My first Leupold was a VX2 it was reliable for years and looked after. I sold it as I wanted better low light performance.
Leupold generally get a good wrap in general.
I’ve used the scope in question on the range. Some people through work defended that is what was required because they had budget. In practice it’s not used for the pest management we do. Using the scope on high power spotlighting would appear darker due to FOV.

Bruce has made some good points. I would not use 14x in the field.

You have not really said what your planned use is.

I have an 8x56 Kahles on a .223 for spotlighting. Great low light scope
I have a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 on one hunting rifle. Good at dusk and dawn but heavy.
I have a Leupold 3.5-10x40 New , I have never mounted. It’s planned as a lighter hunting rifle scope. Not sure on the low light performance but should be better than the older Leupold I had.
I want at least one Swarovski, otherwise I might never know what I’m missing. Thinking a Z3 3-10 or Better yet the Z5 2-12 for a all round use on one all round rifle.

Yes all eyes are different and I wear contact lenses. Any future scope purchase is likely to be better quality and glass clarity if I can.

I have not used a Leica but here are many supporters here. I expect the Lieca you have should be a great hunting scope. The Dr optic would be a spotlighting scope in my book.

I have the 4.5-14x 40mm. I‘ve gotten good service out of it. I have several other VX3’s and like them. I can’t tell much difference between them and the Swarovski Z3.
I’ve used Leupold Vx2’s and 3’s for over 40 years and they just hold up well. As far as adjustments, I prefer the old friction adjustment versus the click adjustments but both work.
As Bruce Molds suggested, a 4.5-14x is a bit much for a hunting scope on a .308. IMO the 2.5-8X would be neigh on perfect for a .308. Definitely not more than the 3.5-10x.

My first Leupold was a VX3. Then I moved to VX2s. Then Vx1s. Then the Rifleman. My next will be a VX Freedom. Any and all of these scopes have good enough glass for the hunting I do. I didn't like the Rifleman only because you have to use a coin or screwdriver to turn the adjustment knobs.

Last edited:
I've used Leopold 3-9x40's on most of my hunting rifles and have had zero problems. A couple other rifles have VX3 3.5-10X40's on them and one longer range rifle has a VXIII 4.5-14x40.

further on parralax.
to adjust it out for a given range, you need the rifle locked solid so it can't move.
can't do in the field.
you keep adjusting it until it goes away.
very near impossible in mirage.
then shoot.
this takes time.
the numbers on some scopes never correspond to any range, so they are useless in that respect, even at the level of nightforce scopes.
even if the numbers are recorded for a range, you have to judge the range correctly, and the adjustment varies with temperature.
where you think you need the extra power is at long range, and that is where it is absolutely critical to have parralax dialed out, which in the field is impossible to do.
in the halcyon days of good fox skin prices i used an 8x56 kahles for spotlighting out to 300 yds.
no parralax problems, and adequate magnification to choose where to shoot them in order to get the best skins, including between the eyes.
for that high mounted scope, a stock was used to suit.
in general a leupold 2.5 - 8 will suffice for hunting in poor light, and at longer ranges like 300 yds and further, despite the fact that it does not look the full monte for shooting in pitch black.
it can be mounted low where it should be, and the glass is good enough to let light through where lesser scopes, although bigger, cannot compete.
bruce.

My first Leupold was a VX3. Then I moved to VX2s. Then Vx1s. Then the Rifleman. My next will be a VX Freedom. Any and all of these scopes have good enough glass for the hunting I do. I didn't like the Rifleman only because you have to use a coin or screwdriver to turn the adjustment knobs.
Sounds like you slowly went to the lower models.

Generally people might try go up in models.

I have read a bit on the VX Freedom, supposedly they replace vx1 and vx2 claimed to be better than the vx2 it replaces.

For the money I would say it’s a Leupold and should be good for most hunting on most rifles.

When I have used better scopes I can see the clarity makes a difference . Is it proportional to the price increase probably not but if your eyesight deteriorates you might just appreciate better glass.

Absolutely I was going to the lower models because they looked just as clear as the higher ones. Or at least plenty clear enough to see for the hunting I do.

I haven't bought a Leupold in many years and it's not likely I will. One is a older VX3, 3.5-10. They are no doubt very robust, but the older my eyes get, the worse they are for getting a crisp focus. Especially at max powder.

No issues what-so-ever, including focus and tracking, with four Nightforce scopes (two are SHVs, two are NSXs). Three of the four max out at 10X. My one low end (Z3) 3-10 Swaroski is wonderfully crisp and clear, but took forever to get sighted in.

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback much appreciated.

To answer one question raised, the scope to be used for woodland and hill stalking deer, plus to go to Africa for plains game.

Appreciate your views that it may be a little to high on the magnification for a 308w.

Please continue to forward on your views.

Rgds

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg