Letter question

Pablo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI, Puro Pinche Low Fence Hunting
Hunted
USA, South Africa
It's been 20 years since I went to SA, but I'm headed back in July! Boom!
I've searched for the answer here but I guess I man-looked it, because I can't find it. I remember on the previous trip that I had to have a letter from local sheriff's office vouching for me. Is that still the case? What's the wording and who does it need to be addressed to, if so? Gracias!

No, just a letter of invite from your outfitter. It should include dates of hunt and list any guns you will be bringing, including make, caliber, and serial number. This information is needed here for me to obtain a temporary export permit. Airline might require it too (can't remember for sure). Also, the police at Joberg airport may ask to see the letter of invite to process the guns. Of course, the South African police paperwork for processing temporary import of guns should be prepared ahead of time. You can find help on this forum for completing the forms but I would advise hiring one of many local "agents" to help out.

Hmmm. I'm describing restrictions as they apply to hunters from US and Canada. Perhaps someone from your country who has hunted South Africa may be better informed.

If you are from the US, you must go to your local customs office and get a CBP Form 4457. That is your only US-required documentation. It is required to get your rifle back into the United States. All other documentation should be on the African side and will require your guide to issue an "invitation" to the agency you are using to apply for your permit. I would recommend using Africa Sky to get your permit. They make it relatively inexpensive and streamlined.

If you are from the US, you must go to your local customs office and get a CBP Form 4457. That is your only US-required documentation. It is required to get your rifle back into the United States. All other documentation should be on the African side and will require your guide to issue an "invitation" to the agency you are using to apply for your permit. I would recommend using Africa Sky to get your permit. They make it relatively inexpensive and streamlined.
My invitation letters have always been addressed to me. In fact, I usually prepare them for the lodge. The owner signs them and returns as an email attachment. Always save the email.

My invitation letters have always been addressed to me. In fact, I usually prepare them for the lodge. The owner signs them and returns as an email attachment. Always save the email.
That's good to know! I've never had the opportunity to see the actual paperwork while doing it through a service.

That's good to know! I've never had the opportunity to see the actual paperwork while doing it through a service.
My lodge owner is a busy guy and handles all the operation's paperwork himself. For my first safari it was difficult getting the invite letter in time for govt export permits on this end. After that, once we had agreed dates I constructed the invite letters myself by cutting and pasting a scanned image of the lodge's letterhead into a word processor document and then adding required info. I have the rifle and ammo details at hand and less likelihood of a typo if I write the letters. I send him a copy, he signs it, and fires it back. When I apply for the export permits, I attach email paper trail just in case there's a question in Ottawa re the invite letter's authenticity. Works very well on both ends. I have had PHASA (Professional Hunters Assn of South Africa) help with getting me and guns through Joberg airport. Nevertheless, I always prepare my own separate unsigned copies of the SAPS forms in case something goes haywire with the agent's preparing them (which happened with another agent helper the first trip).

Perhaps it might be useful to post the letter format I use?

@riflepermits.com will sort you out for what’s needed to enter and leave wherever it is you are going.

You should also check with your outfitter because many of them take care of your paperwork for you…but it’s on YOU to be certain that it’s correct.

You will need the 4457 (and several copies) approved by CBP before you leave the US.

@riflepermits.com will sort you out for what’s needed to enter and leave wherever it is you are going.

You should also check with your outfitter because many of them take care of your paperwork for you…but it’s on YOU to be certain that it’s correct.

You will need the 4457 (and several copies) approved by CBP before you leave the US.
Sounds like this fella is Spanish language so likely not American. However, an invite letter is almost universally required to get guns out of the client's native land. But we're not even sure he plans on taking guns.

Sounds like this fella is Spanish language so likely not American. However, an invite letter is almost universally required to get guns out of the client's native land. But we're not even sure he plans on taking guns.
@Pablo is from South Texas, I’m sure he’ll be fine seeing as he’s typing in English. And he said he’s going back to SA.

"How to obtain an temporary import, in-transit or export permit

An application by a person that is a non SA citizen and not the holder of a permanent residence permit for a temporary, in-transit or export import permit in respect of a firearm or ammunition not licenced under the Firearms Control Act, 2000 (Act No 60 of 2000), must in terms of the Act, submitted on a SAPS 520 “Application for a multiple import or export permit / temporary import or export permit / permanent import or export permit / in-transit permit for personal use” form either to the Central Firearms Control Register, Pretoria, South Africa , directly or to the Designated Firearms Officer at the place designated as a port of entry in terms of the Immigration Act 2002 (Act No 13 of 2002) where the applicant will enter into the Republic of South Africa.

The application form submitted must be an original completed and signed document.

Supporting documents to accompany the application:

The following supplementary documentation must accompany the application :

A certified copy of Passport documents.

A certified copy of a licence, permit, authorization or any other documentary proof confirming the lawful possession of the firearm.

A written mandate (appointment letter) as proof if a person was nominated to apply on behalf of the applicant. (Mandate received must be an original document signed by the importer where after the appointed can apply on behalf of the importer).

A written authorization which permits export from country of origin. (If not supplied by country of origin - written confirmation is required).

If applying at the port of entry - airline ticket to be produced.

With regard to in-transit and export permits an import permit from the recipient country. (If not supplied by country- writes confirmation is required)

Documentary proof with regard to the purpose of the visit issued by any one of the following persons or institutions, in South Africa confirming that, to the best of their knowledge and belief, the applicant will be using the firearm for the purpose set out in the application:

A professional hunter, or the hunting outfitter licensed to conduct business in hunting, who will provide hunting to the foreign visitor.

The accredited hunting association or sport-shooting organisation that is hosting the event or sport-shooting competition that the applicant will participate in,

An person or organisation hosting a public event or historical re-enactment or display that requires the foreign visitor’s participation and use of the specific firearm."

https://www.saps.gov.za/services/flash/firearms/importation.php

Attachments

• About Us | SAPS (South African Police Service).pdf
    324.8 KB · Views: 48
Down here below San Antone, we speak Texican!

"How to obtain an temporary import, in-transit or export permit

An application by a person that is a non SA citizen and not the holder of a permanent residence permit for a temporary, in-transit or export import permit in respect of a firearm or ammunition not licenced under the Firearms Control Act, 2000 (Act No 60 of 2000), must in terms of the Act, submitted on a SAPS 520 “Application for a multiple import or export permit / temporary import or export permit / permanent import or export permit / in-transit permit for personal use” form either to the Central Firearms Control Register, Pretoria, South Africa , directly or to the Designated Firearms Officer at the place designated as a port of entry in terms of the Immigration Act 2002 (Act No 13 of 2002) where the applicant will enter into the Republic of South Africa.

The application form submitted must be an original completed and signed document.

Supporting documents to accompany the application:

The following supplementary documentation must accompany the application :

A certified copy of Passport documents.

A certified copy of a licence, permit, authorization or any other documentary proof confirming the lawful possession of the firearm.

A written mandate (appointment letter) as proof if a person was nominated to apply on behalf of the applicant. (Mandate received must be an original document signed by the importer where after the appointed can apply on behalf of the importer).

A written authorization which permits export from country of origin. (If not supplied by country of origin - written confirmation is required).

If applying at the port of entry - airline ticket to be produced.

With regard to in-transit and export permits an import permit from the recipient country. (If not supplied by country- writes confirmation is required)

Documentary proof with regard to the purpose of the visit issued by any one of the following persons or institutions, in South Africa confirming that, to the best of their knowledge and belief, the applicant will be using the firearm for the purpose set out in the application:

A professional hunter, or the hunting outfitter licensed to conduct business in hunting, who will provide hunting to the foreign visitor.

The accredited hunting association or sport-shooting organisation that is hosting the event or sport-shooting competition that the applicant will participate in,

An person or organisation hosting a public event or historical re-enactment or display that requires the foreign visitor’s participation and use of the specific firearm."

https://www.saps.gov.za/services/flash/firearms/importation.php
I never used "certified copies" of any documents. I always have my original passport and airline ticket when presenting my firearms at Joberg police station so no need for copies that are certified. If they need proof the documents are genuine, I can produce it instantly. The temporary export document from Ottawa is sent to me as email attachment. I print out a copy along with copy of email paper trail and staple them together. So far that has worked. Always bring an extra copy of everything and I also keep backup images stored on my phone too.

You will need you get a 4457 signed at the airport and firearm inspected to make sure the data matches. You need to know the times the international flights arrive at SAT. They will not process it close to an arrival or right after they are busy with the flight. You will also need invitation letter and a copy of your passport for SAPS in RSA and maybe your airline too. The easiest is way to get your RSA permit is to use an advance service, like riflepermits. It’s easy to get in on arrival, but it will take some time. Have a great time.

Yes, always leave two hours at Joberg to make connecting flights. It can take that long even with the assistance of a local "agent." I've never had a problem coming in at the busiest flight times, usually ten or eleven in the morning. It just takes a while to get through customs, pick up guns and get through police station and then off to check them in at next airline desk, often at the other end of the airport. My only issue has been finding my agent among the horde of placard holding fellows awaiting clients outside the baggage lobby. Must have been a hundred of them last time and my guy (actually a gal) was seemingly not interested much in finding me. No placard. Finally, the chap who'd helped the previous two trips recognized me and directed me to agency's Ms No-Assistance. He had ceased being employed by the agency. Coming back another "agent" of the company who was sent to meet me at Joberg airport had my name so badly misspelled on the placard, I walked right by him. Again, the former agent, now an airport porter, saw me and kindly came to the rescue. I have his email and will deal with him directly next time. Guess who got tipped. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneLor

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!