Let’s hunt Lion

Hey friends,
I remember the first time I ever shot a predator. I shot a big bobcat in eastern North Carolina while deer hunting and remember just being amazed by all cats. I remember thinking bobcats will have to do until I can get to Africa.

The first go round to Africa I scratched a good bit of plains game off the list. My father is turning 60 and looking to go across again for his birthday.

last year, I got a bit overwhelmed trying to understand lion hunts in South Africa. Lot of interesting stuff and opinions.

I feel like a good starting place is the SAPA 8 ranches. It seems like some of them maybe don’t have people book directly.

would you ever hunt lion in SA apart from these ranches? If so, with who?

do some of them not book and let other PH come in to guide?

looking for direction on where you would start. Thanks
Hello there Cameroon remains the last Central African countrie where you can have a real and true experience with lion hunting. Give me an email so I can give you details. Rgds. Patrick

@375Fox

We can also judge by the fact of nuber of lions taken per year in certain areas size (like 15k acres you mentioend), for which you have a point, but again you have no way of really knowing how many lions have been hunted really, but only to conisder the number you are told.
Again you have to trust, what you are told, and then to go hunting in good faith. So, it all comes down to trust and good faith.
sapa operators do give some security.

Something to consider if the number seems a bit high - fenced properties normally have more plainsgame than unfenced. They would therefor be able to support more lions on the property.

But, yes, the red flag meter does go up

Something to consider if the number seems a bit high - fenced properties normally have more plainsgame than unfenced. They would therefor be able to support more lions on the property.

But, yes, the red flag meter does go up
Nearly all “captive bred” bred lions are released immediately before the hunt (72 hours, 7 days, whatever) and on to one of those SAPA ranches. Nothing to do with sustainability. Lions are farmed under controlled conditions, you choose mane characteristics you want, then introduced on to one of those ranches to be shot, simple as that. The longer a lion is on property higher risk that something can happen to the lion and also risk it will kill plains game that can be sold. Selling a “hunt” to a hunter is just final step of the harvesting process for the farmed lion. Where do the lion bones go after the hunt?

Sorry, I was speaking of Wild Managed Lions
There is an outfitter in Namibia that hunts lion on private land bordering a park in the Kalahari. The management is interesting. They issue permits for lioness, younger males in a certain age group, and older males depending on the year. The reason that was explained to me was this kept them from spreading to adjacent private lands by managing the entire population. There was a time the owner decided to not hunt them and they just spread to neighboring properties even though there were fences. I’m not sure if they’d ever build up to large numbers in a small area because of territory/fighting/general lion behavior?

You can split hairs all you want, SA captive bred whether released or roaming within a fence are still dangerous game. But they are not wild. SA are fenced, the rest are pretty much wild.

Importation requires much documentation, including where the trophy money goes- schools, etc. Of course the biologist at Fish & Game needs to see numbers, etc.

My lion is literally in customs right now. Shot him in Zim -Sango (Save Valley) in September 2018. Took 2 years to get the import permit and nearly a year to get him stateside (COVID). I did not apply for a permit until after I shot him, others have gotten them prior to the hunt. (I doubt you'll ever get a captive bred lion into the US).

At the time, non importable SA canned hunts were in the 20s. "Alleged" importable SA canned lions were in the 50s

Zambian lions were in the 100-120s. Zim lions were 60-100. I forgot what the Tanzania lions were going for, perhaps 80-100? Of course that does not include bait.

My lion was $100 all in. That's him on bait in my avatar.

PS my lion hunt was an absolutely magical experience....

But isn't the Save Valley Conservancy indeed fenced & restocked with game, so making them "Manged Wild Lions" ?

Fantastic place & success story it is how ever, a lot of areas that were Cattle farms when I was in Zim in the 80's have been converted back to game which is great to see !

Oh, you mean the fence surrounding all 3,000+ km sq of the conservancy?

Yeah ARDA used to be a biggie I understand.

We helped dart and relocate some of the ele back in '18. 100 went from there to the Zambezi IIRC. Last year Ivan Carter had organized moving 600 more, but that fell to the wayside.

Sadly, 6 rhinos were poached (along with untold ele) last year due to COVID and the lack of trophy fee/anti poaching $$$$$

I feel like a good starting place is the SAPA 8 ranches. It seems like some of them maybe don’t have people book directly.

would you ever hunt lion in SA apart from these ranches? If so, with who?

do some of them not book and let other PH come in to guide?

looking for direction on where you would start. Thanks

If you are looking for a true lion hunting experience I would not hunt lion (or any DG for that matter) in RSA. Depending on your budget there are much more rewarding options in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania etc..

If you just want to shoot a lion on the cheap, sure RSA will serve though you will not be able to bring the lion back to the States.

If you are looking for a true lion hunting experience I would not hunt lion (or any DG for that matter) in RSA. Depending on your budget there are much more rewarding options in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania etc..

If you just want to shoot a lion on the cheap, sure RSA will serve though you will not be able to bring the lion back to the States.

Yup. After 3 years, he's at the tannery right now.

51426962101_9a2c425568_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@375Fox You are very lucky to have clear picture, from your place. because I dont.
Tetxbook definition is very clear to me and I agree with you. But:
But once you start doing your research, and before going to hunt, you will be forced to trust safari operator whatever he is telling you. Lions generally do not have a tag with date of release into the fenced game hunting area ( a day, a week, a month earlier... ), or where and how they have been raised, and at this point, you will base your decision to whatever you have been told, and if it is to your satisfaction, then it is.

We can also judge by the fact of nuber of lions taken per year in certain areas size (like 15k acres you mentioend), for which you have a point, but again you have no way of really knowing how many lions have been hunted really, but only to conisder the number you are told.
Again you have to trust, what you are told, and then to go hunting in good faith. So, it all comes down to trust and good faith.
sapa operators do give some security.

What I am saying, we, as a foreign client are a bit of disandvatage on this.

On the other hand, south africa is great opportunity to hunt lion. All I am saying, who ever goes there for lion will have to choose wisely, and there is always a risk of getting a different type of hunt then expected. And after such hunt, there is also a chance, the client will be perfectly happy and unaware what he has been sold.
Mark i think you sum up the South Africa situation very well. Too darn many operators in South Africa get too darn careless with the truth. Especially when it comes to lions.

But isn't the Save Valley Conservancy indeed fenced & restocked with game, so making them "Manged Wild Lions" ?

Fantastic place & success story it is how ever, a lot of areas that were Cattle farms when I was in Zim in the 80's have been converted back to game which is great to see !
Save valley is not fenced. There are some fences along the western boundary to try a reduce cattle coming in and along northern border but many parts are unfenced. The lions/rhinos and elephants are sometimes moved between other conservancies like Bubye and Malilangwe. Not really re-stocking but rather areas that have too many move them to areas that have space.

But as you say, where can animals truly roam without management. Even large national parks manage the wildlife- culling, pumping water etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross