Leopard cartridge choice; Poll

Choose one. Please explain why and your choice of bullet


  • Total voters
    156
I voted for 338 win mag as I do not see 9.3X62 in the list of choices.

Probably a line to articulate the rationale would be nice...
I voted 35 Whelen for the same reason. With correct shot placement and soft enough bullet, it should work well, right?
 
Legitimate side question, if the blind is set within appropriate range, is a 500NE double simply a dumb idea for initial (hopefully only) shot on a leopard?
 
Legitimate side question, if the blind is set within appropriate range, is a 500NE double simply a dumb idea for initial (hopefully only) shot on a leopard?
I don’t think so, except in the case where you are using a soft, and decidto mount it. IMO of course
 
For my unsuccessful leopard hunts, I carried a Sako in 308 shooting 180 gn Remington Tipped Core-loks. My PH wanted a rapidly expanding bullet that shot accurately. The Sako really like that Remington ammo so the choice was easy. Shot distance would have been anywhere between 75 and 100 yards. I should note my failure to connect with a cat was because I was hunting one particular tom. I could have taken several other good males but my history with the cat made him worth pursuing.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3412.jpeg
    IMG_3412.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 39
For my unsuccessful leopard hunts, I carried a Sako in 308 shooting 180 gn Remington Tipped Core-loks. My PH wanted a rapidly expanding bullet that shot accurately. The Sako really like that Remington ammo so the choice was easy. Shot distance would have been anywhere between 75 and 100 yards. I should note my failure to connect with a cat was because I was hunting one particular tom. I could have taken several other good males but my history with the cat made him worth pursuing.
so what was your history with that particular cat?
 
The word "initial" is definitely concerning
Meaning to distinguish from a follow-up after tracking a wounded leopard into the thick scary stuff. Ideally only shot…but not sure how to word to impart intended meaning other than “initial.”
 
The word "initial" is definitely concerning
I do not beleive a initial blast from 570 grain soft will need a 2nd shot, unless you want to extinguish the species from the face of the earth :)
 
I voted 35 Whelen for the same reason. With correct shot placement and soft enough bullet, it should work well, right?
Your PH's vote trumps all of your choices anyway. He's the one standing next to you when it matters.
 
so what was your history with that particular cat?
As you’re probably aware, leopard spots are unique so usually easy to identify in trail cam photos. He was apparently the boss cat of the area. He was also extremely “smart”, seldom visiting a bait site more than a night or two. At least ten hunters tried to get this cat but no one was successful; they “ settled” for other good toms as the area held plenty of cats. I liked the challenge and was willing to go home empty handed. In all, I spent about 7 weeks over three years in pursuit. He won although we got very close. Since then, the property was sold and hunting is no longer permitted. I kind of like knowing he made it. That’s the short version.
 
I’ve never hunted leopard and probably never will. However, I chose the .338 Win mag. I think a 7mm-08 -.30/06 is more than enough to kill one. However, if a follow up is needed, I’d feel a lot more comfortable with a .338 in my mitts. Also, the .338 makes a great PG round. The .35 Whelen or 9.3x62 could be substituted with probably equal efficiency.
 
For my unsuccessful leopard hunts, I carried a Sako in 308 shooting 180 gn Remington Tipped Core-loks. My PH wanted a rapidly expanding bullet that shot accurately. The Sako really like that Remington ammo so the choice was easy. Shot distance would have been anywhere between 75 and 100 yards. I should note my failure to connect with a cat was because I was hunting one particular tom. I could have taken several other good males but my history with the cat made him worth pursuing.
Beautiful capture.
 
7mm wby, 168 gr LRX. Would consider a .257 wby, 120 gr Northfork. Would talk to the PH about the .257
 
I voted 338 because that’s what I’ve used on 2 of my leopards. A 225 grain Bearclaw was a great bullet. My 338 is what I normally use as my light rifle in Africa and it’s great for just about anything but it’s way more than needed for a leopard.

A 270, 308 or 30-06 with a Nosler Partition is about ideal for any leopard.
 
300 WM with a 180gr Swift Scirocco
 
270 Win Ruger M77 Mk II. It is the first rifle I owned and I’ve had it since 1999 when I was 12. I’ve headshot many springbuck and blesbuck with that rifle at varying distance so I’d be very comfortable taking a shoulder shot on a stationary leopard at less than 100m. Probably use something like a Norma Oryx 150gr as the Oryx bullets shoot accurately in every gun I’ve tried them and they always expand.
 
For leopard hunted over bait from a blind, I would use a non-bonded, mechanically locked soft-point bullet (Remington Core-Lokt, Norma TipStrike, Hornady InterLock), weighing 160–180 gr, in a non-magnum cartridge such as the 7mm-08 Rem., 7×57, .308 Win., or .30-06 Sprg...so I voted 7mm-08 Rem, but my first choice would be 308 Win.
 
Would be curious to hear why the OP omitted the 30-06 as an option.

I voted for the 270 Winchester and would load the 160-gr. Partition at around 2800. A little extra weight at a very usable velocity for Leopard.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,342
Messages
1,573,400
Members
169,747
Latest member
nexttanebir1980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top