Learning to Shoot Big Bore

The larger the caliber, the more important the rifle fit.
As recoil goes up, fitment flaws and poor technique show up with a flinch.

Dry fire practice at least every other day.
This will allow you to learn your new rifle and save money.
When you get to the range, you will get the feedback on your practice.

375 caliber is your friend...and a gateway drug to the big boys.
Take your time and be patient...don't rush things.
We all know the Tortoise beat the Hare.

@Basenji500 Enjoy the journey and welcome to AH.

While some may laugh at the suggestion, do you own a 12 Ga shotgun with sights on it, i.e. a "slug" gun? If so shoot it. Shells are relatively cheap. Once you start cloverleafing groups with the shotgun, take mdwest up on his offer.
This is a great idea some 3 inch slugs in a 12 gauge would certainly train you for the big boys for a relatively low cost

Thanks to all who’ve shared their experience and advice! I appreciate it a lot. I hope others will continue to add theirs as well, so all of us new to the forum can learn.

For those who’ve offered to meet, I’ll message you directly. This is a great online community!

In preparation for my first trip to Africa (no date set, yet). Currently, I use a 7mm Rem Mag for my hunting rifle, and plan to use that for plains game when I go. However, I also plan to hunt Cape Buffalo, so I'll need something larger. And, of course, part of the dream is that I will come into more money unexpectedly and buy a nice double rifle. I have looked at the dramatic increase in recoil over my current rifle on recoil tables, and want to learn how to shoot big bore rifles with big bore recoil without a big bore flinch.

The methods I can think of are:
a) buy the gun and start shooting! Oh, and try not to develop a flinch
b) buy the gun and use light loads to help the transition
c) find a gun range that rents out big bore rifles, from this easy list maintained on africehunting.com--start with a 375 H&H, rinse and repeat until you get to the caliber you want, and buy that rifle (heck, make it a double if you've found the suitcase full of nonconsecutive bills)

If you had to do it all again, how would you learn?
I just jumped right in with a .375 and .416. It takes some getting used to but the more you shoot the better you are. Shoot a .416 then the .375 is easy!
Philip

375 H&H !! I live in the DFW area and if you want to meet up and shoot let me know.

Double Gun Imports, the Heym distributor, is located in Dallas. They will let you shoot a number of doubles in various calibers and make a decision on the double you wish to order. ;)

Best advice I can give you about shooting Big Bores, is to shoot off hand, standing... Pull the Rifle as tight into you shoulder as you possibly can, bend your knees slightly, and get up onto the balls o' your feet... Lean as far forward as you can, without losing your balance... This is the best stance to absorb recoil... If you hold the Rifle loosely, or dig your heels in, you'll end up on your @$$... The reason you want to lean forward, is that this allows for your torso to have a longer arc, during recoil... If you are straight up & down, or leaning backward, you don't leave much of an arc...

I agree that if you can shoot a 7mm rem mag well, you should be able to step into a 375hh with no problems. My 7mm weighs under 8 pounds scoped and I had no problem shooting my 9 pound 375. I swapped stocks and it now weighs 8.5 pounds; it certainly gets your attention and I personally would not go lighter.

If you have a heavy weight 7mm, I'd probably go with a heavier 375 to be on the safe side (as long as you feel like carrying it). If you have a very lightweight 7mm like me, I think you will be fine with any of the light weight 375 options. I wouldn't want to shoot the 375 synthetic xbolt with iron sights which is under 7 pounds...but add 8 ounces of mounts/rings and a 14-16 oz scope and you in the ballpark. Point being: even the lightest 375s can be added on to mitigate recoil.

Personally, I sighted in my iron sights from a bench and then immediately shot standing unsupported at 50 yards at paper plates and clay birds. Its fun to shoot imo

You're right. I use a Past Recoil Shield for range work but nothing in the field. Don't hear it, don't feel it. Concentrating on sight picture and trigger squeeze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.