Large caliber's on a standard length action

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Bos Javanicus, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Shawn.54

Shawn.54 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    He has approved of all the work I’ve done so far
    and I always bounce my plans off him before I make chips he usually has been there done that and knows the outcome.
    He also says that he got the idea of welding actions together from a article about H&H doing it when Rigby held the rights to magnum action.
    I’m working on the 404 again hunting season is over and back on overtime at work that’s where gun parts money comes from.
    So in the next few weeks I’ll show some progress.
    Shawn

ZG47 and Shootist43 like this.

2. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Actions have also been shortened by cutting and welding. The region where the cut and weld is done in no way affects the strength of the action. The key is to maintain alignment throughout the procedure (for which a mandrel is required, made as a part of the process).

3. Shawn.54

Shawn.54 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Yes that is what he did anything behind the locking lugs is to guide the bolt or cartridge no affect on strength.
    On a different note if we look at the actions on the market today as entry level rifles they have a two piece bolt that has an amount of play between head and body which allows lugs to lock up with out influence of the body leading to the accuracy they have.
    Shawn

4. 416Tanzan

416Tanzan AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Sudan, Chad, Tanzania, local
    I think the easy approach to this question today is to choose the caliber to easily fit the action, or else choose the action for the desired caliber.

If someone wants a standard-length action like the Ruger Hawkeye (or M98), then limit the caliber to the 375Ruger, 416Ruger, or 458WinMag. (Yes, even more powerful wildcat options are available for the Hawkeye, like the 458 Accurate Reloading up to the 500 Accurate Reloading.)

If someone wants a long caliber, like the 375H&H or 416 Rigby or 450 Rigby/450Dakota, then get a CZ-magnum length action for the most flexibility.

5. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Wow, the pics say it all. Is that about 5 mm off the lug ? The new lug shape looks pretty thin, I guess it works but as you say, it is just a matter of time.

6. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    9,3x64, 9,5x66 vom Hofe, 10,75x68, or .425 Westley Richards!

Ok, something special, but nontheless effectiv....

;)

HWL

ZG47 likes this.

7. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

i have a 9.3x64 on a mkx mauser.
    it has a 30/06 mag, no changes to the action other than open the boltface and extractor to suit the round.
    feeds absolutely perfectly, and shoots better than moa when you point it right.
    a right cheap rifle.
    bruce.

ZG47 likes this.

8. Nevada Mike

Nevada Mike AH Senior Member

I just had a consulation with Reto Buehler, rifle builder, on the subject of building me a .404. He says that he magnum (.375 H&H length) Granite Mountain action works better - no alterations required and the rounds will feed better. For me, the perfection of feeding and extraction/ejection are convincing for a DG rifle. We are proceeding on that basis.

ZG47 and Pheroze like this.