Laminate stock?

TroyF

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Kinda thinking over stock options for my 9.3x62 using a 09 Argentine action, most likely I'll get the blank from Richards micro fits, was thinking of a lower grade English walnut. It maybe stronger then the Carlo they have, like to keep the price down under $200 I was thinking maybe trying one of their laminate stocks. It won't look as nice as walnut but will be stronger and better if the weather changes.

Not sure what style the rifle will be, want to use necg banded sight and adjustable rear, hand on the barrel for the sling and a lpvo with qd rings. So anyone used a laminate on there build or should I stick to walnut.

Laminate will add more weight over the walnut, so you will need to consider how much you want your rifle to weigh. I'd think for a 9.3x62 you would want to keep the overall rifle weight (with scope, rings, ammo and sling) less than 8# to 8.5# for something you could hunt with all day. This would most likely mean walnut.

Find out what the walnut and laminate blanks weigh and go from there for a starting point.

Laminate will add more weight over the walnut, so you will need to consider how much you want your rifle to weigh. I'd think for a 9.3x62 you would want to keep the overall rifle weight (with scope, rings, ammo and sling) less than 8# to 8.5# for something you could hunt with all day. This would most likely mean walnut.

Find out what the walnut and laminate blanks weigh and go from there for a starting point.
Under 9lbs would be nice, tho I probably won't ever go on a safari it will be used for deer and bear. Think the lightest lpvo is the leupold 1.5-4 that I can afford, a 1-6 maybe nicer but there either heavy or expensive.

I’ve got a Boyd’s laminate on a .35 Whelen (similar recoil to the 9.3x62).. the gun is a little on the heavy side.. but still is perfectly manageable… and has held up well with trips to Africa, etc…

I was able to cut a few ounces back by going with a lighter weight2-7x optic, lightweight rings and bases etc…

I’ve got a Boyd’s laminate on a .35 Whelen (similar recoil to the 9.3x62).. the gun is a little on the heavy side.. but still is perfectly manageable… and has held up well with trips to Africa, etc…

I was able to cut a few ounces back by going with a lighter weight2-7x optic, lightweight rings and bases etc…
You happen to have any pictures, I can't see in my head what the mauser boyds stocks look like. I have a 2-7 on my cz I may try.

I too put a Boyd's Laminate stock on my 35 Whelen. That rifle has been to Africa twice and been on a bunch of Deer and Hog hunts. I agree it is a little heavier than some but totally manageable. The rifle was built on a Springfield '03 action. I wanted a no holds barred working rifle, a looker she isn't, but holds well under an inch regardless of the weather. The scope is a Leupold 2.5 X 8.

Kinda thinking over stock options for my 9.3x62 using a 09 Argentine action, most likely I'll get the blank from Richards micro fits, was thinking of a lower grade English walnut. It maybe stronger then the Carlo they have, like to keep the price down under $200 I was thinking maybe trying one of their laminate stocks. It won't look as nice as walnut but will be stronger and better if the weather changes.

Not sure what style the rifle will be, want to use necg banded sight and adjustable rear, hand on the barrel for the sling and a lpvo with qd rings. So anyone used a laminate on there build or should I stick to walnut.
I have one laminate and several walnut. In my mind walnut hands down. I am finding the laminate is not aging well. But, any dings or scratches in the walnut are part of the look, or repairable. I am very diligent in maintaining them and that is probably important. I have hunted with all of them in northern Ontario and South Africa. I also think the walnut feels better in hand.

If you go with Richards their Classic #102 stock looks right. I have done carlo, english walnuts and laminated stocks on a 9.3x62. Both will work fine. Both the Boyd's and Richards have some extra wood on the stocks. Just take a set of rasps and files and remover wood in the forend and butt stock till it looks like a pre-war english african rifle. I have epoxy bedded the actions and installed a recoil cross-bolt in the stocks.( Mostly don't need the cross bolt but makes the stock more recoil resistant and looks like a bush rifle should).

You happen to have any pictures, I can't see in my head what the mauser boyds stocks look like. I have a 2-7 on my cz I may try.

Yep... give me a few hours to get some things done before I go digging around in the safe, and I'll take some pics...

Its a BRNO VZ24 (LR Mauser) with a Green Mountain .35 Whelen Barrel (purchased from Midway) that I built a few years back.. nothing special.. but a straight shooter, that has taken everything from TX pigs to a monster eland... It gets the job done.. :)

Yep... give me a few hours to get some things done before I go digging around in the safe, and I'll take some pics...

Its a BRNO VZ24 (LR Mauser) with a Green Mountain .35 Whelen Barrel (purchased from Midway) that I built a few years back.. nothing special.. but a straight shooter, that has taken everything from TX pigs to a monster eland... It gets the job done.. :)
Thanks, every green mountain barrel I've shot was great. To bad there always back logged and don't offer many barrel now, really good mz barrel to.

The boyds always seemed sole less to me even the normal wood stocks they make. never said one looked good either and I normally like laminate stocks.

I never had a problem with walnut even in the wet so long it was bedded and sealed, which I'll do to this. I figured I could maybe save $100 going with laminate.

If you go with Richards their Classic #102 stock looks right. I have done carlo, english walnuts and laminated stocks on a 9.3x62. Both will work fine. Both the Boyd's and Richards have some extra wood on the stocks. Just take a set of rasps and files and remover wood in the forend and butt stock till it looks like a pre-war english african rifle. I have epoxy bedded the actions and installed a recoil cross-bolt in the stocks.( Mostly don't need the cross bolt but makes the stock more recoil resistant and looks like a bush rifle should).
I was thinking the 102 or the safari classic. My 7x57ai 09 Argentine has the 102
1656520043261.png

1656520093334.png

I put this Richards laminate stock on my Rem 700 .375 RUM back in 2004. I pillar and glass bedded the action, glass bedded the barrel channel then floated the barrel, hand checkered the grip and foreend with my favorite multi-panel wrap around pattern, and put a recoil reducer in the stock.

I''ve taken it to Africa twice and last fall I used it in Alaska for my Brown Bear.
3RIG05cl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I put this Richards laminate stock on my Rem 700 .375 RUM back in 2004. I pillar and glass bedded the action, glass bedded the barrel channel then floated the barrel, hand checkered the grip and foreend with my favorite multi-panel wrap around pattern, and put a recoil reducer in the stock.

I''ve taken it to Africa twice and last fall I used it in Alaska for my Brown Bear.
View attachment 473960
Looks nice is that the classic rollover.

Last edited by a moderator:

@TroyF
I have used both walnut and laminated from Boyd's drop in gunstocks and both are good. The laminated is slightly heavier than walnut but very stable. Boyd's make a great range of stocks, check out their website.
20200131_113934.jpg

@TroyF
I have used both walnut and laminated from Boyd's drop in gunstocks and both are good. The laminated is slightly heavier than walnut but very stable. Boyd's make a great range of stocks, check out their website. View attachment 473900
nice enfields, I wanted to build a 375 on one then the prices started going crazy on them. Maybe someday I'll find a p14 action cheap.

nice enfields, I wanted to build a 375 on one then the prices started going crazy on them. Maybe someday I'll find a p14 action cheap.
@TroyF
It's a pity you aren't in Australia mate. I could sell you the grey one at a good price in 35Whelen AI and throw in a P14 bolt that would suit a magnum case. Fit a 375H&H barrel and you could make it a switch barrel.
Bob

@TroyF
It's a pity you aren't in Australia mate. I could sell you the grey one at a good price in 35Whelen AI and throw in a P14 bolt that would suit a magnum case. Fit a 375H&H barrel and you could make it a switch barrel.
Bob
That would be nice, p14 actions were under $200 a few years ago, that and a 17 mag is all you needed to start a build. I haven't seen what a p/14/17 action goes for lately but crapy original us Enfield s are on the rack for $1500 and up. So a Donor action is not likely cheap.

That would be nice, p14 actions were under $200 a few years ago, that and a 17 mag is all you needed to start a build. I haven't seen what a p/14/17 action goes for lately but crapy original us Enfield s are on the rack for $1500 and up. So a Donor action is not likely cheap.
@TroyF
I would sell you my AI for that price.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross