KUDU RIFLES

I was a bit surprised how well it did. I took my 338Win partly for back-up but never needed it. The load I worked up for her rifle used H-450. Went to get more powder and found out it is no longer made. Too bad as it was the fastest load and would put 5 shots into one hole at 100 yards. That Swift bullet was very good.

in bush country the CZ550 carbine in 9,3 x 62 is perfect or the 375 Ruger carbine could work as well, in open country 8 x 68S, 300 Weatherby or even 375 H&H with 270 bullets do it right.

Have so many rifles cant decide which one to bring on my may 2013 hunt for large Kudu. Should i use a classic like 7x57 or go big with my 375 H&H. Something in the middle? Help me please!!:confused:

So what did you end up useing ?

in bush country the CZ550 carbine in 9,3 x 62 is perfect or the 375 Ruger carbine could work as well, in open country 8 x 68S, 300 Weatherby or even 375 H&H with 270 bullets do it right.

I'm taking a CZ550 FS in 9.3 for my hopeful Kudu in April. That said I'm also bringing a 308 so whatever's in my hands at the moment.

I took my biggest Kudu with acustom 8 x 57 with Norma Alaska 196 gr bullets at 32 yards. If you donnot strech to far the shots you can take yours with a well place 180 gr bullet from yours 308 win, the 9,3 will gives you a litle more confident to take difficult shots in the bush.

I took mine with a 375 H&H through an Acacia tree. Well, not necessarily through the tree. It was standing behind the tree that is shown behind it in the photo. They like standing in heavy brush, I am told. It's part of the reason they are called the Grey Ghost of Africa.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
This was a great thread started a long time ago, I really enjoyed reading it. It touched on a lot of great different opinions. I enjoyed the fact that a young girl took her trophies cleanly with a 257 rbts and I love that round but never had the guts to take it. The fellow originally asked if his 7 x 57 was enough for Kudu. On one of my first safaris my rifles didn't show up and I borrowed a 7x57 to shoot a kudu, a zebra and a springbok before my rifles showed up, I cant imagine a better caliber for plains game. So he started out with a 7x57 and a 375. If he didn't no it he had a sweat pair that anyone could take anywhere any time for anything. I would prefer my 500 for elephant but if it wasn't available I would happily use the 375 even for elephant.

I dont think we have heard from Bart for some time, unless I missed him somewhere.

K then, 35 Whelen for my next trip, but, Kudu are not on the list. I will never say it's the best (after all it's based on the 30-06 case):tired:...Anyway, I feel that it preforms and has preformed great on every critter I have put a bullet in. If I am going to hunt something that requires more, then the 458 win mag will be in my hands.
@35bore
The Whelen worked well on impala thru to kudu,zebra and black wildebeest . The Springbok was not torn apart but a 35 cal hole in each side.
20200123_133438.jpg

225grain accubond recovered from the Kudu shot front on at around 120yards. Bullet recovered from the rear ham.
20191031_214245.jpg

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg