Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I have been interested in acquiring a Kipplauf, German single shot stalking rifle for some time. I have considered the Merkel K3, Blaser K95, and the Krieghoff Hubertus. Looking for a rifle chambered in a common and versatile medium power rimmed cartridge like the 7x65R or perhaps 7x57R. It would be used for hunting my local game in Canada, and perhaps some international hunting as well. I have found a good used Krieghoff chambered in .30R Blaser at what looks like a good price. The cartridge is only loaded by RWS as far as I know, and I could only find one Canadian store that sells the ammuntion. They only had one box. I assume I can order ammunition, but don't know much about the rifle or the cartridge. Even reloading dies seem scarce. What do you say? Risky or good choice? Compared to a K95 in 7x65R?

Well i don’t know much about that round but I have several obscure cartridges in other rifles. If you go for it make sure you buy a lot of ammo when it’s available so you don’t have trouble finding it in the future.

If it were me, I'd wait for the caliber I REALLY wanted.
You should be completely happy with a rifle you buy.
The fact that you are asking the question shows your true feelings.
IMO - Keep looking or bite the bullet and place an order.

And I feel your pain...
I've been smitten with a Blaser K95 on GI, but it's in 300WBY.
I know I can buy another barrel for it, but it's the principal of it.

I have a Blaser K95 in 7x65R, it is awesome. Great ballistics and a nice sized cartridge for medium game. I’ve got a 160gr going 2750fps. Shot red deer out to 390yds with it. It is very accurate, 3.5” group at 500yds. Personally I wouldn’t do a 30R in a light rifle. The 7x65R is getting up there in terms of recoil, the 30R would be pretty nasty I would imagine.

Reactions: IvW
I have had several different European calibres in my K95s.
The 7x65R is now without doubt my favourite.
I use factory ammo being Norma, S&B and Hornady.
Can’t fault the calibre and of course the K95 platform sits in a league of its own in my opinion.

I have been interested in acquiring a Kipplauf, German single shot stalking rifle for some time. I have considered the Merkel K3, Blaser K95, and the Krieghoff Hubertus. Looking for a rifle chambered in a common and versatile medium power rimmed cartridge like the 7x65R or perhaps 7x57R. It would be used for hunting my local game in Canada, and perhaps some international hunting as well. I have found a good used Krieghoff chambered in .30R Blaser at what looks like a good price. The cartridge is only loaded by RWS as far as I know, and I could only find one Canadian store that sells the ammuntion. They only had one box. I assume I can order ammunition, but don't know much about the rifle or the cartridge. Even reloading dies seem scarce. What do you say? Risky or good choice? Compared to a K95 in 7x65R?
Longwalker,
the K95, I have one in .308,as a Stutzen, is a wonderful weapon which, from experience, digests all bullets well, is very precise and the Blaser triggers are wonderful, a proven strength of Blaser.
If you have reloder friends, even an exotic one like the .30 R is zero problem.Zero.
There are enough of dies and shells in Germany, so there will probably be a few that can come to Canada.
If you decide to use the .30R Blaser as caliber, you have to test shoot the gun before you buy it. The .30R is in the range of the .300 Win MAg and much too heavy for the light weapon.
Probably because it is as cheap as kicking a donkey, but every Grizzly should not be able to get 50m with it.
For Europe I would take the 7x57 R or .308 as a maximum, but your game in Canada is bigger than ours, the 7x65 R is the best option, it is stronger than the 7x57, has a better target ballistics and can go far out.
Here, interchangeable barrels for these weapons are very popular, check how compatible different barrels are.
Any of the weapons you have in mind is correct.
No difference in quality.
Really good.
Krieghoff is here a noble brand.
Foxi
K95 Blaser  Stutzen.JPG

my Blaser K95 as a Stutzen,means full stock,short version-
K95 Blaser Attache.jpg

Modell Attache'
Blaser K95 Drückjagd.JPG

not very common here for driven hunts.But Im quick enogh.
First shot counts.

@beema: this light gun in .300 Wby is only for masochists ;)

Last edited:
One of the very reasons I didn't get it.
7x65R or 7x57R would be my limit for a single shot LW rifle.

Perhaps I'm talking myself into this, but I'm curious enough about the Krieghoff Hubertus rifle to drive 3 hours to the store that has it for sale and inspect it in my hands. And I have confirmed that RWS EVO 11,9G factory ammunition is easily available, at a "reasonable" price. I like the idea that my limited research so far reveals that the .30 R Blaser compares well with more common traditional cartridges (firing bullets faster than the 30-06, slower than most .300 magnums) and performs in the field a lot like the .300 H&H. I don't "like" recoil, but am not afraid of rifles that hit a little harder at both ends.
I am leaning towards buying the rifle, using factory RWS .30 R BLASER EVO 11,9G / 184GR loads for big animals like moose and elk and bears and African game. Reloading dies are readily available, and I could easily use reduced handloads with lighter bullets for practise, and for shooting our local deer and smaller game.
I wish I had a Blaser K95 to compare it with, but alas, I live a place where that is simply not possible. The closest store that has ever had Blaser K95's in stock is in Calgary, seven hours drive away. They have none right now. I'd have to special order a Blaser and live with my decision made at a distance. I like the Blaser locking system. Strong and well proven. I like the Krieghoff system because it is traditional and gives better access to the cartridge for loading and unloading with gloves on. That's an important consideration where I live, I seldom hunt when I can do so without gloves. Any words of caution or more advice?

Last edited:
Bought the Krieghoff. It has a steel action which makes it a little heavier than some other kipplauf rifles, but should pair well with the .30R Blaser cartridge. Weight is half kilogram more than some others. That suits me fine. Waiting for ammunition to come. I was able to order a plentiful supply of the RWS EVO 185 gr. ( 11.9 g) bonded core and some RWS Doppelkern 165 gr. ( 10.7g) dual core. The reloading dies have been less easy to locate. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Bought the Krieghoff. It has a steel action which makes it a little heavier than some other kipplauf rifles, but should pair well with the .30R Blaser cartridge. Weight is half kilogram more than some others. That suits me fine. Waiting for ammunition to come. Wish me luck.
I think you will be very pleased with it. A .30 magnum of any persuasion is invaluable almost anywhere.

Love the grain on the stock.
Congratulations.

The railmount Swaro scope is a big plus as well.
I ordered all of mine in the same configuration.

Bought the Krieghoff. It has a steel action which makes it a little heavier than some other kipplauf rifles, but should pair well with the .30R Blaser cartridge. Weight is half kilogram more than some others. That suits me fine. Waiting for ammunition to come. I was able to order a plentiful supply of the RWS EVO 185 gr. ( 11.9 g) bonded core and some RWS Doppelkern 165 gr. ( 10.7g) dual core. The reloading dies have been less easy to locate. Wish me luck.
Congratulations,
I have no experience with the EVO, but you will enjoy the Doppelkern bullet.
Enclosed you will find some (German) charging data .You have to convert speed and energy.Today no problem with aunt Google
The Americans always charge harder than we Germans, so I have learned that.
So there is still some room for improvement - with reservation - if our data is too "harmless" for you.
If you want me to send you something, if its allowed to do so, because you cannot get components for it in Canada, please contact me.I try to help you.

You will see, your moose are already scared. :cool:
Foxi

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Foxi! I plan to use factory loads for the first few hunts, but next year that hand load data will become a useful reference. When I develop some hand loads, I don't expect any desire to exceed published data. As was already explained to me by you and others, such a powerful cartridge in a light rifle is enough recoil, and I hope not too much. Bullets speeds a little faster than 30-06 will be adequate for me and the game I intend to hunt. Your offer to locate components for me is very kind, thanks again! We will see how this project develops!

johan fanzoj Ferlach in 6,5x65r love to bayit but a bit high price
91301322-4145-4261-AF6A-4F3ACDFA8327.jpeg

That rifle would certainly be welcome in my hands! Very pretty.

Ammunition arrived today, so I took the rifle for a test shoot. Recoil was snappy but controllable. Not a concern. It was already sighted in, so after checking that, I strolled over to where I have a gong at just over 200M. Resting the rifle with my hand against a fence post, I put four shots on the gong in a group the size of my hand. I'm going to like this one! Looking forward to using in during our annual whitetail hunt next week. I just might buy a moose tag too ...

Longwalker,
the K95, I have one in .308,as a Stutzen, is a wonderful weapon which, from experience, digests all bullets well, is very precise and the Blaser triggers are wonderful, a proven strength of Blaser.
If you have reloder friends, even an exotic one like the .30 R is zero problem.Zero.
There are enough of dies and shells in Germany, so there will probably be a few that can come to Canada.
If you decide to use the .30R Blaser as caliber, you have to test shoot the gun before you buy it. The .30R is in the range of the .300 Win MAg and much too heavy for the light weapon.
Probably because it is as cheap as kicking a donkey, but every Grizzly should not be able to get 50m with it.
For Europe I would take the 7x57 R or .308 as a maximum, but your game in Canada is bigger than ours, the 7x65 R is the best option, it is stronger than the 7x57, has a better target ballistics and can go far out.
Here, interchangeable barrels for these weapons are very popular, check how compatible different barrels are.
Any of the weapons you have in mind is correct.
No difference in quality.
Really good.
Krieghoff is here a noble brand.
Foxi
View attachment 373120
my Blaser K95 as a Stutzen,means full stock,short version-View attachment 373121
Modell Attache'
View attachment 373122
not very common here for driven hunts.But Im quick enogh.
First shot counts.

Southpaw

Congratulations,
I have no experience with the EVO, but you will enjoy the Doppelkern bullet.
Enclosed you will find some (German) charging data .You have to convert speed and energy.Today no problem with aunt Google
The Americans always charge harder than we Germans, so I have learned that.
So there is still some room for improvement - with reservation - if our data is too "harmless" for you.
If you want me to send you something, if its allowed to do so, because you cannot get components for it in Canada, please contact me.I try to help you.

You will see, your moose are already scared. :cool:
Foxi

View attachment 374123
CH4D lists .30 R Blaser dies, which they may, or may not have in stock. If they do, you're in business, their dies are quite well made and reasonably priced. If they don't, you may have a long wait for them to be produced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg