Knives - Why?

I agree 100% with the good Major a pocket knife is an every day carry (EDC) item. My father gave me my first pocket knife in 1976 at the age of 12 and I have carried a knife every day since.

I revived a small Ka-Bar lockback folding knife when I was five. I grew up in the country and a pocket knife was just part of your redneck uniform. The teacher got pretty bent out of shape when I was whittling a stick on the playground. It was a different time so I was told to put it back in my pocket and never bring it back to school. Glad she resisted calling in SWAT.

Probably not, but if you like to carry one or you like Tom be involved in processing then do so.
If it’s something you like Tom carry when you hunt, part of he kit part or your experience whatever

who is Tom and why do you text him so much that your auto correct won't let you type "to". lol

My faith is restored- plenty of knife users and lovers out there. I would suggest that a leatherman and a pocket knife would cover almost all Safari needs (as the visiting hunter). However, I might also make the argument that if you are hunting without a personal knife on you, you arnt really hunting. Bring the knife (knives) that bring you joy!

I revived a small Ka-Bar lockback folding knife when I was five. I grew up in the country and a pocket knife was just part of your redneck uniform. The teacher got pretty bent out of shape when I was whittling a stick on the playground. It was a different time so I was told to put it back in my pocket and never bring it back to school. Glad she resisted calling in SWAT.

Yes, things where much different when I was young. In 1980 during my 10th grade year I had to do a demonstration speech so I reviewed my topic and plan with the High School Principle and he said it was a good idea and asked me to proceed. When the day came for my speech I brought my cased Model 94 Winchester in 32 Win Special on the bus to school, stored it in my locker and gave a rousing demonstration speech on the care and cleaning of a lever action rifle. After school I road the bus home with my cased rifle, the only thing the bus driver asked was "How did my speech go". I can't imagine what would happen if I did that today.

Very enjoyable info and good question to start it.
I started carrying a small gentleman’s folder before I started school. Carried one ever since. Never got into any trouble with it. Today I feel naked without one.
On Safari I carry a Spartan Victorinox and a fixed blade on my pants belt or cartridge belt. I’ve never had to use it, but I loaned it to a PH to slit the throat of a spine wounded gemsbuck. The PH had left his belt in the bakkie.

who is Tom and why do you text him so much that your auto correct won't let you type "to". lol
Fat fingers, IPad and this Bloody site where I keep checking back to see what I’ve missed.
I’ve missed my calling, I wanted to be one of the great hunters.

Don’t really know a Tom anyway

For those that like the Buck 110 hold a Gerber Gator lock back just once and you will want one. The rubberized handle just fits your hands with no slipping.

I like my Buck 110 but the Gerber Gator is what goes hunting with me

The same as I carry a handgun every day, I'd rather have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I gave my last a very favorite case Skinner of mine to my tracker because I thought he deserved it. My ph did not agree
but we agreed to disagree, lol. it did not replace a tip!

I graduated high school in 2016. I bet 1/3 of the boys (myself included) carried a pocket knife. The teachers knew, and from time to time would ask to borrow one.
And get this, nobody was ever stabbed.
when I was in school we all had gun racks in our back windows and it was just understood, no school shootings in my time. and I'm not ancient 50!

My (and the wife's) edc knife pocket dump. On the left is my Leatherman Fuse. Top right is my Kershaw (I don't remember the model, this is an older picture, and I'm just lounging in shorts). Middle right is my Buck 303. And the bottom is the wife's Kershaw Ken Onion Vapor (she asked for that knife specifically, and it was discontinued and Ken Onion is no longer with Kershaw, but I found one).

The Buck was a gift from my parents when i could still count my age on my hands. I lost it for 6 months in a pile of cardboard when I was 11 (it fell out of my shirt pocket). An employee of our business found it, and it came home). I carried it every day while in high school (class of 2001, so in school when Columbine happened). I actually had a teacher ask to borrow it one day.

A friend had the principal ask to borrow his.
20190513_213202.jpeg

All I can add is "Ditto." My Dad worked at Ka-Bar. Initially, I got old knives that had a problem and the company had replaced. I can't remember when I got my first knife, but I can't remember not having one.

To the original question - I don't see the point of a non-hunter carrying a knife. It certainly isn't NECESSARY.

Knives - Why?....Why Knot???

View attachment 352491
The Havalon Evolve was created with one thing in mind; create a more efficient hunting experience. No longer will hunters have to go into the woods with an entire toolbox full of items (screwdrivers, sharpeners, saws, gut hooks and knives) in their pack. The Evolve features just the tools a hunter needs in the woods; a knife (Havalon Piranta Quik-Change fitment), replaceable saw, fixed gut hook, pliers/wire cutters/strippers, and a universal bit driver. Also comes with a flathead/Phillips reversible bit and the room to store two more 1/4” bits of any variety.
Just because.

The same as I carry a handgun every day, I'd rather have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I gave my last a very favorite case Skinner of mine to my tracker because I thought he deserved it. My ph did not agree
but we agreed to disagree, lol. it did not replace a tip!
Interesting, I felt we we’re not encouraged to be to friendly toward staff tracker, maid . I do understand that money burns a hole in their pocket or in some cases alcohol is an issue and they don’t need trinkets. Tips subsidise income but they need to know the client appreciates them.
I found my tracker was pleasant and willing to work. I made my wishes know never regarding tips using. Breakdown I found here. My PH got the lions share but I told my outfitter to look after the tracker, i said he is likeable and guests will tend to like him. All of the staff were good, the skinners seemed a little surprised when I went over for a chat, I also wanted them in a photo, there are part of the experience.
My tracker came across early each day and was clean, shiny shoes with the sole coming off. He didn’t understand the word buggered when I said his shoes were buggered in the sense of stuffed, broken etc. Having had a sever sprain ankle injury previously myself, it worried me but it’s not like we could take him to town to get a new pair. A hundred bucks may have gone a long way there but then you don’t want to favour one causing tension among the ranks either.
I did make it known to the PH they are lucky the people work. Our welfare system is to good because we won’t get people to work so hard for so little!
We all have different cultures and this is my only international experience.

In 15 trips only ever used my leatherman and that was to tighten a screw on the truck.
No ph worth his salt would never let you touch a cape.

My pocket knife was used by my son at a restaurant last night. He needed something sharp to cut his lamb. I enjoy sharpening knives so I keep our hunting knives extremely sharp, they are all sharpened until they shave hair. I like carrying a pocket knife as it is frequently useful.
We brought multiple knives to Africa and didn’t need them but for lunch in the bush.
My leatherman did get used to reattach the battery cables when the truck enjoyed a sparky light show in the dark.
A leatherman style system should be in every hunting pack and another in every truck (and car)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.