Just won a Buffalo hunt!

Matt Perchick

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I bought a few raffle tickets online and ended up winning a Cape Buffalo hunt. I have had an interest in hunting these beast, but have no idea what I have gotten myself into. I am quite excited and would like to hear any advice you guys might have for a first time Buffalo hunter.

Congratulations! Where, when, what rifle are you going to use? Or, do you get to buy a new one?

Well Congrats! Where, when, who with, etc???? If you can tell us more, please do. What have you already hunted? again, congrats!!!

Congrats!

Read a lot here and take it seriously. Practice a lot with the rifle you will shoot, including working the bolt and reloads. The bolt should be worked automatically, every time, and the rifle should never leave your should nor your eye come off the scope.

That extra practice is what allowed me to get a second shot in my buffalo quickly and ended up with an anti climatic ending that I was just fine with.

This hunt will be with Numzaan Safaris in South Africa. I do not have a large enough caliber rifle for buffalo, so I guess I am in the market for one!! I have hunted deer and black bear and will be hunting plains game in the Eastern Cape the end of May into June of this year. I can do this hunt this year or next and am leaning towards next year as I already have my African hunt for this year all planned.

You could borrow/rent one from your outfitter as well. But what better excuse do you have to buy one than winning a hunt!

You could borrow/rent one from your outfitter as well. But what better excuse do you have to buy one than winning a hunt!
NoNoNo, opportunity for new rifle can't be taken lightly! Lol
Maybe a tasty little 416 Rigby or a tantalizing 458 Lott, hmmmmm. Even a nice all around 375 H&H might be the ticket!
Congrats on winning the hunt!
Cheers,
Cody

I have been wanting a nice new rifle. I figure since I'm saving the money the hunt would cost I can afford a new rifle
Like the way you think Matt!

NoNoNo, opportunity for new rifle can't be taken lightly! Lol
Maybe a tasty little 416 Rigby or a tantalizing 458 Lott, hmmmmm. Even a nice all around 375 H&H might be the ticket!
Congrats on winning the hunt!
Cheers,
Cody

Thanks. I have been thinking of a 375 for a bit now. A 416 could also be a definite possibility

Congratulations.

Congrats... You will get much advice here, and many different suggestions. This is my thoughts.
As you dont have a big caliber yet, then a 375H&H is best for this first hunt, with a 1-4 or 1.5-6 type scope that MUST have lots of eye relief (eg Leopold). Use QD mounts if you can, and check the open sights also. A scoped 375 is great for that Kudu or Bushbuck that temps you and the PH. Personally I love and use big calibers, but also I dont like sighting in and bench practice, for this reason I suggest a Kickeze or Limbsaver recoil pad to be fitted, and the Length of Pull changed to suit what is comfortable for you on your other rifles. I like Hornady factory ammo for its reasonable price for Dangerous gane, and solid and softs are tough and regulate good. In 375H&H I like CZ rifles because they take 5 in the mag, and action is not too big. The weight is a touch heavier than others which absorbs recoil a bit more. Winchester, Remington, Kimber, and Sako (and others) all do the job, and you probably already have a favorite brand. When sighting in and practicing you can use the cheapest ammo first, (then fine tune to you Hunt ammo later). Very carefully bore sight first to save getting kicked more, then fire at 50yds on a big target, adjust, then move to 1ooyds, set 2" high at 100yds, for about 200zero. Next session at the range can now be more fun, fire a couple off the bench, a couple leaning tree position, and a couple kneeling. Then set some target at varying distances, and shoot at 50, then fast offhand follow up at 75, 100, 125. You will have fun doing this, and high chance this is what will happen in the bush anyway. All during your practice, start with ammo in your leather cartridge slip on your belt, set either middle or slight opposite side to your normal slung over shoulder carry side (to be immediately accessible, and not scratch rifle). Then every time you need bullets, load FROM your slip. Another practice session can include 3 water bottles set at 20, 12 and 8yards... look away and have you mate yell "charge" face and shoot 3 perfect shots furthest to closest... if you rush its a disaster. Shoot fast but aim and squeeze.. this may save your life. Remember the only thing that will reliably stop a charge is a brain shot or a spine shot.. so you must be able to hit an Orange size at each of these distance. but if for example your shot goes high, hopefully its into the spine... Practice, practice practice. Also get a Past recoil shoulder pad for practice. If you dont like recoil and you wish to reload, then you can make a mild load for practice. But once you start reloading then you have another nice problem which bullet to select.
This sounds about as much fun, as me and my mate preparing for our Mozambique Cape Buffalo hunt in 7 weeks time. My Rigby 416 rigby and me are now fine tuned, and Andrews 500 has been ready for years...!!
Oh yes practice some more, especially loading into mag while looking away and moving..!! Keep another plastic slip of 5 in you right pocket, and give your PH a slip of 5 for his left pocket, just in case.
Practice, practice again, and even carrying the rifle around at home a bit (with bolt removed) gets you used to the carry, handling and balance of this new heavier rifle. Take your hunt and practice seriously, as dangerous game hunting can go wrong, and you may have to save yourself or the PH. Even other animals wounded and/or cornered can charge.

Matt, you lucky #@!*. Congrats with the winning ticket. I've killed 2 buffs, now it's your turn. The .375 H&H, SWEET!
I have a Rem. 700 .375 H&H. I put a Boyd's Thumbhole Hardwood Stock w/custom LOP and spendy recoil pad under the action. What a shooter.

Congrats... You will get much advice here, and many different suggestions. This is my thoughts.
As you dont have a big caliber yet, then a 375H&H is best for this first hunt, with a 1-4 or 1.5-6 type scope that MUST have lots of eye relief (eg Leopold). Use QD mounts if you can, and check the open sights also. A scoped 375 is great for that Kudu or Bushbuck that temps you and the PH. Personally I love and use big calibers, but also I dont like sighting in and bench practice, for this reason I suggest a Kickeze or Limbsaver recoil pad to be fitted, and the Length of Pull changed to suit what is comfortable for you on your other rifles. I like Hornady factory ammo for its reasonable price for Dangerous gane, and solid and softs are tough and regulate good. In 375H&H I like CZ rifles because they take 5 in the mag, and action is not too big. The weight is a touch heavier than others which absorbs recoil a bit more. Winchester, Remington, Kimber, and Sako (and others) all do the job, and you probably already have a favorite brand. When sighting in and practicing you can use the cheapest ammo first, (then fine tune to you Hunt ammo later). Very carefully bore sight first to save getting kicked more, then fire at 50yds on a big target, adjust, then move to 1ooyds, set 2" high at 100yds, for about 200zero. Next session at the range can now be more fun, fire a couple off the bench, a couple leaning tree position, and a couple kneeling. Then set some target at varying distances, and shoot at 50, then fast offhand follow up at 75, 100, 125. You will have fun doing this, and high chance this is what will happen in the bush anyway. All during your practice, start with ammo in your leather cartridge slip on your belt, set either middle or slight opposite side to your normal slung over shoulder carry side (to be immediately accessible, and not scratch rifle). Then every time you need bullets, load FROM your slip. Another practice session can include 3 water bottles set at 20, 12 and 8yards... look away and have you mate yell "charge" face and shoot 3 perfect shots furthest to closest... if you rush its a disaster. Shoot fast but aim and squeeze.. this may save your life. Remember the only thing that will reliably stop a charge is a brain shot or a spine shot.. so you must be able to hit an Orange size at each of these distance. but if for example your shot goes high, hopefully its into the spine... Practice, practice practice. Also get a Past recoil shoulder pad for practice. If you dont like recoil and you wish to reload, then you can make a mild load for practice. But once you start reloading then you have another nice problem which bullet to select.
This sounds about as much fun, as me and my mate preparing for our Mozambique Cape Buffalo hunt in 7 weeks time. My Rigby 416 rigby and me are now fine tuned, and Andrews 500 has been ready for years...!!
Oh yes practice some more, especially loading into mag while looking away and moving..!! Keep another plastic slip of 5 in you right pocket, and give your PH a slip of 5 for his left pocket, just in case.
Practice, practice again, and even carrying the rifle around at home a bit (with bolt removed) gets you used to the carry, handling and balance of this new heavier rifle. Take your hunt and practice seriously, as dangerous game hunting can go wrong, and you may have to save yourself or the PH. Even other animals wounded and/or cornered can charge.

Thanks you

Matt, you lucky #@!*. Congrats with the winning ticket. I've killed 2 buffs, now it's your turn. The .375 H&H, SWEET!
I have a Rem. 700 .375 H&H. I put a Boyd's Thumbhole Hardwood Stock w/custom LOP and spendy recoil pad under the action. What a shooter.

Thanks. I am partial to the Remmington 700 as that is the brand of my other rifles

Oh yes... please no muzzle brake, hate em. I use a 500 Jeffery lots, so recoil of 375 and less is pleasant to me. The more you shoot bigger calibers, the more you learn to abrorb recoil, body upright, slightly leaning forward at time of shot, and not stiff and braced.. bit like shotgunning.. but both hands and shoulder contact must be firm. Also for the hunt I love the small sonic type ear plugs in US for $10, have them in your shirt pocket and pop in when loaded up to hunt. But at the Range use proper muffs, as sonic plugs not much chop under a range tin roof.
Sorry carried away here..

You are in for a great ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg