Judging Bushbuck

Discussion in 'Judging Trophies' started by enysse, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    You mean interesting like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures posted by AH member Buff-Buster, it reads: "Dog Impaled by Bushbuck. These are from a PH friend of mine in the East Cape. His client wounded a bushbuck and they sent "Jackson" on the blood trail after him. As with all Jack Russell's, Jackson is fearless. Before they could get in to finish him off, Jackson had him cornered. When they emerged into the opening the bushbuck came at them with Jackson attached as shown. Jackson was giving him hell even as they shot and killed the bushbuck. To keep him from bleeding to death, they cut the bushbuck's head off and left it attached to Jackson until they could get to the vet 3 hours away. Jackson still hunts to this day and is still "fearless". Never underestimate the "will to live" of any animal, especially a bushbuck!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2016

2. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    I hope you do it. It would be quite an accomplishment as I am sure very few ever have. Good luck :D

3. Warbird782

Warbird782 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    EC and NW Province RSA, USA
    Those dogs are all balls and heart!!!! I agree with you all on bushbuck hunting. As I stated I just got home a month ago from my first African hunt. I shot my bushbuck in the Winterberg Mountains. We were traversing a mountain side glassing the wooded valleys below when the tracker spotted "mine" up the mountain side along a cliff face with only one tree around. The shot was at 35 degrees up at 320 yards. The bushbuck was the hardest animal to get out of all the others that I hunted. There is no doubt in my mind that my next hunt will include another buchbuck or two!

4. JohannS

JohannS AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa and USA
    Never thought much of bushbucks because I never saw one throughout my life on the farm. I have been living in America for about 7 years now and went back to the farm in the Limpopo last June for some hunting and relaxing. Needless to say, our farm has a lot of bushbuck on it now. No river system and the farm is not inclosed on the front side(probably how they got in). To my surprise I was hunting for kudu the first morning I walked up on 4 bushbuck rams. Very beautiful animals and decided I would cross another animal off my list. He had a lot of battle scares but dropped him right in his tracks because I heard they can be dangerous. Shot him with a 308 165gr. Measured in right at 15 inches.
    1.jpg 2.jpg

5. byron458

byron458 New Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Association, SA Hunters
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Where do the Bushbuck that are found in Natal fit in? I have personally seen pics of 2 trophys shot that both went over and 20" and another picked up that measured over 21" but I can't find any mention of Natal as a bushbuck hunting destination on this site?

6. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Nobody would argue with you, the KWAZULU-NATAL Province is definitely a excellent destination to hunt bushbucks. A dreamy location!

7. bluey

bluey AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
    great read
    and definitely a animal I would love to hunt .
    has any member stalked a bushbuck with archery equipement .or know of anyone walk and stalking or spot and stalking one with archery
    I asked my p.h on my one and only trip so far and he didn't think it could be done .
    since then its ticked and ticked in my mind .

8. john kofoed

john kofoed AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Nordic safari klub,SCI, Nordic safari chapter.
    Hunted:
    RSA,Namibia,Botswana,Mozambique,Zim,Germany,Estonia,Denmark,Sweden,Polen,Russia,uk scotland
    Love to hunt Bushbuck in the Limpopo Close to Messina.Hardhunt in the riverdales and in the thick bushes there!Have shot both With rifle and bow and i have one 17 inches with rifle and one 17 With bow. I have taken 4 total

121.jpg 230.jpg 190.jpg PA010014.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
    KMG Hunting Safaris likes this.

9. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    A489128A-A170-479F-ABE5-DF9D7FA0CC86.jpeg
    This one now resides in my Den. He measured 16 1/2 in the field. Took him in 2015 with @Pawprint Safaris not half a mile from the lodge.

seattlesetters and peras like this.

10. K76

K76 New Member

I shot my bushbuck with bow, but it was from a ground blind. Arrow went threw ribs and exited while shattering hind leg. I watched him run over a little hill. A short track later we found him, still alive but trying to lunge at us. He couldn't get up due his shattered hind leg so i had to send another arrow threw him at 10 yards.

Returning to RSA 2018 with KMG will try to get another one walk n stalk. View attachment 212554

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

11. Hallgeir Gravråk

Hallgeir Gravråk AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Nordic Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia
    This 2 bushbuck are shot at the same spot at the same time in the Limpopo province.
    Not far from Hoedspruit.
    upload_2019-3-7_22-17-16.png
    As you see one dark and one is not so dark.
    It`s individual differences also in the same area.

12. Bushpig4Ever

Bushpig4Ever AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Custodians
    Hunted:
    Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
    39BBD21F-C4CB-4158-A5DE-E080A4B4E419.jpeg When with the department of forestry I culled lots of bushbuck and turned them into biltong. The buck were eating our young trees, we really had to do something.

Hallgeir Gravråk likes this.

13. Ferruccio

Ferruccio AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Safari Club International
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Tanzania, Namibia, Italy, Spain, Croatia
    My bushbuck of over 15 inches. It was taken in Mpumalanga, near to the border with Limpopo

DSCN3124.JPG DSCN3157.JPG DSCN3158.JPG DSCN3166.JPG DSCN3171.JPG DSCN3186.JPG SAM_0491.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
    Hunting Sailor likes this.

14. Frederik

Frederik AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
    Ferruccio can this be you the one and same who hunted this Nyala with me in 2009 with your dad remember we found this nyala on the last morning of the last day?

Ferrucio6.jpg

Ferruccio likes this.

15. Ferruccio

Ferruccio AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Safari Club International
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Tanzania, Namibia, Italy, Spain, Croatia
    Yes, I am the same and I remember very well the hunting of that nyala with you.....we were very lucky and it was one of my most memorable hunting actions!

16. johanvw

johanvw AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, CHASA, North West Hunting Association, Brits Hunting Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana, Namibia
    D4DC75C6-6A47-466C-B4E6-3A567E7CAA00.jpeg Always nice to hunt bushbuck. This one was taken in limpopo.