Judging Bushbuck

I loved hunting bushbuck, sitting on the side of a hill in Eastern Cape, the daybreak chill giving me the shivers even though I had a good wool sweater and jacket on. It was great sport glassing the ridges and hillsides waiting for one of those beautiful antelope to step out into a small opening in the brush. I'd spot a coupleof females, motion to the PH who would shrug me off, he'd seen them long before I did. The anticipation was much like whitetail hunting except it was ground level and, if you wound one, well, I hear that is when things get "interesting".

You mean interesting like this?

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Pictures posted by AH member Buff-Buster, it reads: "Dog Impaled by Bushbuck. These are from a PH friend of mine in the East Cape. His client wounded a bushbuck and they sent "Jackson" on the blood trail after him. As with all Jack Russell's, Jackson is fearless. Before they could get in to finish him off, Jackson had him cornered. When they emerged into the opening the bushbuck came at them with Jackson attached as shown. Jackson was giving him hell even as they shot and killed the bushbuck. To keep him from bleeding to death, they cut the bushbuck's head off and left it attached to Jackson until they could get to the vet 3 hours away. Jackson still hunts to this day and is still "fearless". Never underestimate the "will to live" of any animal, especially a bushbuck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Enysse true but for that money any bushbuck hunting is hard to beat!!! :) Diamond very true indeed I have a goal of hunting all available bushbuck species myself, so far I have EC, Lim and Chobe, who knows maybe I'll make it work.. :)

My best always.

I hope you do it. It would be quite an accomplishment as I am sure very few ever have. Good luck :D

Those dogs are all balls and heart!!!! I agree with you all on bushbuck hunting. As I stated I just got home a month ago from my first African hunt. I shot my bushbuck in the Winterberg Mountains. We were traversing a mountain side glassing the wooded valleys below when the tracker spotted "mine" up the mountain side along a cliff face with only one tree around. The shot was at 35 degrees up at 320 yards. The bushbuck was the hardest animal to get out of all the others that I hunted. There is no doubt in my mind that my next hunt will include another buchbuck or two!

Never thought much of bushbucks because I never saw one throughout my life on the farm. I have been living in America for about 7 years now and went back to the farm in the Limpopo last June for some hunting and relaxing. Needless to say, our farm has a lot of bushbuck on it now. No river system and the farm is not inclosed on the front side(probably how they got in). To my surprise I was hunting for kudu the first morning I walked up on 4 bushbuck rams. Very beautiful animals and decided I would cross another animal off my list. He had a lot of battle scares but dropped him right in his tracks because I heard they can be dangerous. Shot him with a 308 165gr. Measured in right at 15 inches.
1.jpg2.jpg

Where do the Bushbuck that are found in Natal fit in? I have personally seen pics of 2 trophys shot that both went over and 20" and another picked up that measured over 21" but I can't find any mention of Natal as a bushbuck hunting destination on this site?

Nobody would argue with you, the KWAZULU-NATAL Province is definitely a excellent destination to hunt bushbucks. A dreamy location!

great read
and definitely a animal I would love to hunt .
has any member stalked a bushbuck with archery equipement .or know of anyone walk and stalking or spot and stalking one with archery
I asked my p.h on my one and only trip so far and he didn't think it could be done .
since then its ticked and ticked in my mind .

Love to hunt Bushbuck in the Limpopo Close to Messina.Hardhunt in the riverdales and in the thick bushes there!Have shot both With rifle and bow and i have one 17 inches with rifle and one 17 With bow. I have taken 4 total

121.jpg
230.jpg
190.jpg
PA010014.JPG

A489128A-A170-479F-ABE5-DF9D7FA0CC86.jpeg

This one now resides in my Den. He measured 16 1/2 in the field. Took him in 2015 with @Pawprint Safaris not half a mile from the lodge.

great read
and definitely a animal I would love to hunt .
has any member stalked a bushbuck with archery equipement .or know of anyone walk and stalking or spot and stalking one with archery
I asked my p.h on my one and only trip so far and he didn't think it could be done .
since then its ticked and ticked in my mind .

I shot my bushbuck with bow, but it was from a ground blind. Arrow went threw ribs and exited while shattering hind leg. I watched him run over a little hill. A short track later we found him, still alive but trying to lunge at us. He couldn't get up due his shattered hind leg so i had to send another arrow threw him at 10 yards.

Returning to RSA 2018 with KMG will try to get another one walk n stalk.View attachment 212554

Last edited:
This 2 bushbuck are shot at the same spot at the same time in the Limpopo province.
Not far from Hoedspruit.
upload_2019-3-7_22-17-16.png

As you see one dark and one is not so dark.
It`s individual differences also in the same area.

39BBD21F-C4CB-4158-A5DE-E080A4B4E419.jpeg
When with the department of forestry I culled lots of bushbuck and turned them into biltong. The buck were eating our young trees, we really had to do something.

My bushbuck of over 15 inches. It was taken in Mpumalanga, near to the border with Limpopo

DSCN3124.JPG
DSCN3157.JPG
DSCN3158.JPG
DSCN3166.JPG
DSCN3171.JPG
DSCN3186.JPG
SAM_0491.JPG

Ferruccio can this be you the one and same who hunted this Nyala with me in 2009 with your dad remember we found this nyala on the last morning of the last day?

Ferrucio6.jpg

Yes, I am the same and I remember very well the hunting of that nyala with you.....we were very lucky and it was one of my most memorable hunting actions!

D4DC75C6-6A47-466C-B4E6-3A567E7CAA00.jpeg
Always nice to hunt bushbuck. This one was taken in limpopo.

Great story- thank you for sharing

My first Trophy limpopo Bushbuck . And what a old warrior he is.

A split botton lip from a battle .

Bles behind the horns

Extreamly thick set of worn down horns nice ivory tips

Unique 2 twisted style of horns

What a gentleman.

Shot in Tazeen with my 375 Sako
My first Trophy limpopo Bushbuck

FB_IMG_1657366643039.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross