John Sharp Hunting Safaris

FYI - John's book "Facing Down Fear" is at the printer. If all goes well copies may be available for sale at John's booth at DSC and SCI. We all know how many moving parts are involved, so time will tell!

Tim

Should be an interesting book. I think people will be surprised by all the things John has done, prior to becoming a PH. Of course, the chapters on the PH part of his life will be fascinating indeed.

He was at DSC last year and I am connected with him on Linkedin. So yes he is still hunting unless just recently called it quits!

thats a book i will read.

A buddy of mine and an occaissional poster on AH hunted with John back in June in the BVC an took a nice buff and a few PG. From what I gather, bookings were down a bit this year for John, but he's still going strong and plans to hunt for several more years.

I am booking with John for 2019 - so he is on the hook for at least two more years!

The thread that won't die!

Original post was 6.5 years ago, wondering if Sharp was still hunting.

I just booked August 2019 with him.

And regarding his book, the printer's latest estimate is March '18 for shipment.

I was in John's booth at DSC waiting to write a check to book the first 12 days of August '19.

Another fellow strolls in and drops a check in John's hand for.....wait for it.....the first 12 days of August '19!

I got writing in a hurry!

And regarding his book, the printer's latest estimate is March '18 for shipment.

I was in John's booth at DSC waiting to write a check to book the first 12 days of August '19.

Another fellow strolls in and drops a check in John's hand for.....wait for it.....the first 12 days of August '19!

I'm guessing this other fellow had a sudden and tragic accident...
:S Rip:

A hunt with John in the BVC is something special. Tim, I assume this is for buffalo. What else will be on your list?

I am really jealous! Your hunting report should be a novel with all of the stories you should have!

I'm guessing this other fellow had a sudden and tragic accident...
:S Rip:

Actually, as was pointed out to me by Dave (375RugerFan) it is great that John will have a hunt right before mine....he'll know where the buff with the 17 inch bosses is hanging out!! :)

A hunt with John in the BVC is something special. Tim, I assume this is for buffalo. What else will be on your list?

Buffalo and whatever... ;)

I'd love a Hyena.

I'd love a Livingstone Eland to go with my Cape Eland.

I'd love a 55+ inch Kudu.

A Caracal would be neat...and maybe a Honey Badger. A big Civet? Oh yeah...any of those would be cool.

But the really cool thing is to be able to hunt old wild Africa with a guy I consider a legend, and with another guy (Dave Langerman) that is also making quite a name for himself.

Both of these gents are brilliant in their own ways and they complement each other superbly. I am looking forward to hunting with both of them. I am going to learn a lot!

Then there is that fellow I'll be sharing camp with. He's pretty dang special, too.

:A Me You:

I am so glad to see you booked your dream hunt Tim. I hope it is even better then what you dreamed it would be and I will wait to hear the story you have to tell after.

Thanks Bill. I need to try to contain myself!

Tim, I'm glad you are going to make a buff hunt in Zim. It was an awesome experience for me this past May. John is a living legend and I'm sure it will be a great safari. What shooting stick will you be taking? Btw, I sent my 404 off to Leroy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Stocks for a full on custom stock. He is adding a drop box from Sunny Hill so I can get 4 down and one in the pipe. That will give me some incentive to return to the dark continent (as if I needed any ;)).

Tim, I'm glad you are going to make a buff hunt in Zim. It was an awesome experience for me this past May. John is a living legend and I'm sure it will be a great safari. What shooting stick will you be taking? Btw, I sent my 404 off to Leroy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Stocks for a full on custom stock. He is adding a drop box from Sunny Hill so I can get 4 down and one in the pipe. That will give me some incentive to return to the dark continent (as if I needed any ;)).

Thanks buddy!

Actually, while John really stresses practicing off sticks (like most every PH), he advises against clients bringing their own sticks.

He wants to use his sticks, that he knows are serviceable and that are like an extension of his and his tracker's hands. That way, no surprises.

I used a Trigger Stick on my PG hunt...but John being decidedly old school, I will have to get a set of sticks (maybe from the good folks at African Sporting Creations) to mimic what I will be using in the bush....so there will be no surprises on my end!!

Those mods on the 404J sound delish! Can't wait to see a pic (in a year or two?).

Tim

I have always used the PH's sticks on my safaris with no issues. I bought a set from African Sporting Creations for practice and they were perfect for preparing me for what I used on safari.

I meant to ask what rifle you are taking, though (boom stick, not shooting stick -- doh!)

I meant to ask what rifle you are taking, though (boom stick, not shooting stick -- doh!)

Ruger No. 1 Boddington Buffalo 450-400 NE. Bought it here from farrokhrt and received the rifle about three months ago.

About 200 rounds down range and I believe it is going to work!

I have North Fork and Swift A-Frame 400gr bullets to choose from for the hunt (Sharp is an A-Frame lover like few others).

I have run the practice bullets up to a little over 2,300 so far. I will probably settle on 2,200 to 2,250.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg