JJ Paradeau Chapuis UGEX 2 Barrel Set For Sale

cbvanb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Canada
Offered today is a Chapuis UGEX 2 barrel set, in 9.3x74R and 7X65R. I bought the rifle from the original owner several years ago with the intention of giving it to my wife, but an encounter with a rather cheeky elephant in 2017 left her with a desire for magazine rifles only. I carried the gun on an elk hunt but it really belongs in Africa, so I hope it can get back there with a new owner.
The rifle was originally sold by JJ Paradeau, who needs no introduction to double owners in the US. His rollmark is found on both barrels. There is some good news and a little bad with this gun. The 9.3 barrels will put 4 rounds into about 2.5" at 100 yards, with the scope attached. As the barrels heat up after 4 rounds the group will open up but I have put 8 rounds into a group I can cover with the palm of my hand.
The 7mm barrels, however, are a disappointment, and the groups begin at palm size and open up from there. I used only Norma factory ammo with both calibers, and it's possible there is a handload that will tighten up the 7mm, but a more likely fix would be to send it back to Paradeau. I had always intended to do that and never found the time.
The set comes in a fitted Chapuis case, and includes a set of European claw mounts and a Leupold VX-6 1-6 30mm scope. I would rate the gun at 90%, as it does show a few very minor dings in the wood, mostly on the forearms. The crowns are flawless, as is the rifling.
Also included in the sale are all the remaining factory ammo I have, which is at least 100 rounds in each caliber. I also have a large amount of reloaded ammo for the 9.3, which came from the original owner. I shot them and they regulated well with factory ammo, but of course I would recommend they be broken down for components. I have dies of course, and probably a lifetime supply of brass and bullets in 9.3, as well as some in 7mm. I apologize that I can't give an exact count, but I'm in the process of moving and I'm still digging out boxes of stuff.
I'm taking a bit of a loss on this so I'm fairly firm on the price. Shipping the rifle to your FFL and the components directly to you is included in the price. $9000.00 Payment via check or MO preferred, but if you have a different suggestion I'm open.

IMG_1610.jpg
IMG_1612.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1618.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg
IMG_1620.jpg
IMG_1625 (1).jpg
IMG_1625.jpg
IMG_1627.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg
IMG_1630.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I have handled this rifle, the pictures don’t do it justice, it is absolutely stunning. Someone needs to take this rifle to Africa!

His name is spelt Perodeau and should someone want to check out his site it is https://jjperodeau.com/. He is simply the best and is the only person that touches one of my fine SxS rifles or guns. I assume this is a set he marketed? In any case, the 9.3 sounds like it is performing superbly. Is the 7mm load the one with which the rifle was originally regulated? A rifle would not leave his bench that didn't shoot well.

A lovely set. To make that combination work, one really needs a dedicated scope for each set of barrels.

And that is a very reasonable price for that set.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 11.28.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 11.28.34 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Reactions: WAB
I don’t know what load was used to regulate the 7mm, but Mr.Perodeau might have records. The gun came with two sets of mounts, one for each caliber, but I didn’t mention the second mount because I haven’t found them yet! Of course they will go with the gun when they’re located.

I don’t know what load was used to regulate the 7mm, but Mr.Perodeau might have records. The gun came with two sets of mounts, one for each caliber, but I didn’t mention the second mount because I haven’t found them yet! Of course they will go with the gun when they’re located.
He would have it on file, and I am certain it would shoot brilliantly with whatever load was used for regulation.

Those are very, very nice (and expensive) mounts. ;)

Wish I had seen this earlier! I would have been the new owner!

Thank you, sir! Great rifle! Finally out to the range, albeit briefly, with the new rifle and new quad sticks. Very happy with both! The rifle fits quite well. Didn't get a chance to play with the 7mm barrels, but the 9.3 gave me 2" at 75 yards with irons and 3"-4" at 100 yards with the scope. Both these were shot from a set of quad sticks that arrived on Friday. Good thing the range is only about 100' from the back door, I'll be spending the next couple weeks playing with this and developing a load for my kids 270wsm.
20210405_153136.jpg

No snide comments about the target please. It was just the first in the pile....

Reactions: WAB
I like the target. I carried the rifle on an elk hunt a couple years ago without any luck. Use it in good health!

Sure was a nice set!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg